Amateur costume question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fire_dancer, Aug 14, 2009.

1. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

I recently started dancing with an amateur partner for standard, and conversation has turned towards thoughts of competition. Naturally…. I was curious about what I could wear. J

I have a regular (Dore w/ Swarovski) dress for my pro/am competitions, but I know the rules for the USABDA amateur partners is much different than what is allowed with normal pro/am. I’ve heard several conflicting messages from different people on what is/isn’t allowed on the dresses, and have looked through the USABDA Amateur rulebook without really getting it cleared up.

My partner is 22 and I’m 27, which I believe puts us in the Adult category. As a girl, am I allowed to wear dresses with swarovskis and rhinestones on them (or anything sparkly)? What about jewelry?

I’m such a sucker for the glitter….. *grins*

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Which level do you compete in am? If you dance open (novice level or upper), dress with SW rhinestones are definitely allowed.

3. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

I think we'll start out bronze, and perhaps move up to silver in the near future. :)

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Sorry, no sparklies for bronze, silver, and gold. ;)

From the USA Dance rule book:
    You'll have to wait until you reach Novice. Or if you don't mind waiting 13 years until you're both eligible for Senior I... :razz:

5. Standarddancer

TC's research is so accurate and detailed!!! but you don't must wait until you place out of bronze to dance silver, you could dance multiple levels as well, or if you are already comfortable enough to dance open (from your experience dancing pro-am), you might just start with novice too so you can wear your stoned Dore dress and no need to worry purchasing new costume for syllabus. You could dance up, not down in am.

6. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Thanks so much for all of your help! I guess I'll look at it as a great excuse to go dress shopping... for plain unstoned dresses! :)

7. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Keep in mind that the costume rules that Terpsichorean listed above are for USA Dance sanctioned competitions. Here is for NDCA:
    Also, check each competitions rules out because some collegiate comps that you could compete at have a lot more relaxed guidelines and you would be able to wear your stoned gown.

8. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Wow, thanks Mandicraft!

Guess I'm now in the market for two dresses. I'm assuming "cocktail" dress refers to the length and shape (i.e. right at the knee, perhaps a little past or above), and not formality.

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

and check (and ask about!) the particular rules for each comp, regardless of whether it's collegiate/USABDA/NDCA. They don't all go by the rulebook. Stinks to find out you could have (or could NOT have) done something differently after it's too late.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone compete in a cocktail dress (for Standard/Smooth anyway)

10. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have either. Does anyone know why, if that is the rulebook?

11. What does decoration jewelry mean? Do they refer to regular necklaces and bracelets or do they refer to something crazy like chains of rhinestone hanging from the dress? ie. I'm asking if regular rhinestone necklaces and bracelets are still allowed...

12. Standarddancer

I've never seen either. I think no one is wearing that because cocktail dress is not stretchy, you need stretch type of fabric for dancing, also need a big skirt for swing dance, most cocktail dress doesn't have big enough skirt for standard and not sexy enough for latin:( plus there are a lot of nice practice dresses available online so the movement is much more freer in nice practice dress than stiff cocktail dress.

13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

"What does decoration jewelry mean? Do they refer to regular necklaces and bracelets or do they refer to something crazy like chains of rhinestone hanging from the dress? ie. I'm asking if regular rhinestone necklaces and bracelets are still allowed..."

Decoration jewelry are those items that look like they could be part of the dress, so, if your dress is a red velvet material and your wrist bands and choker are also red velvet material with rhinestones then they would be considered decoration jewelry and not allowed. However, if the choker and wrists bands were just a plain choker necklace and bracelet without any red velvet material, they would then be considered jewelry and allowed. The short answer is, yes a regular rhinestone necklace and bracelet would be allowed.

Hope that helps

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

A friend of mine converted a stretchy cocktail dress for her first rhythm competition. The dress was above knee length, so she added a lacy skirt for some movement. She used it for several pro-am comps and then she went to USA dance comp and did some rhythm with her husband there. I don't remember how she decorated it, but she is over 45, so she never did events where she could not wear a decorated dress.

15. Yup that helps, thanks Daphna~!

16. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

You're welcome

17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Tangentially related question - I've noticed that a lot of ladies will wear unstoned gowns that were obviously made for dancing in syllabus when costumes aren't allowed (which is technically following the rules). But do you think wearing a store-bought dress (about ankle length, very bright color, but less full skirt) would put you at a disadvantage?

I think I might go for the nice practicewear...not sure. Thoughts?

18. Check out your local dress alteration shop. They are sometimes not that expensive. Latin pants for my son would have cost 200.00 at the ballroom dance store. I had some made for him for only 60.00. It was a small local business.

19. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Nope, don't think that it will put you at a disadvantage, as long as it moves nicely and you dance well (always the ultimate catch :)) you should do just fine.

20. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Most department store evening dresses have decorations such as tubular beads that can't be seen from a distance and used to be allowed when it was no rhinestones, but run afoul of the new tighter rules... demonstrating how the changes have the exact opposite of the intended effect and push people towards undecorated but purpose made costumes.