Amateur costume question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fire_dancer, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Only noticed these at youth/adult Syllabus standard section, maybe these are new, don't remember seeing these before.

Not Allowed:
    1. Two piece dresses are not allowed
    2. Decoration jewelry with light reflective qualities, including earrings necklaces, bracelets, etc., are not
    allowed
    3. Decoration, material or shoes with any light reflective qualities are not allowed
    4. Colored or glittered hairspray and any other light reflective hair decorations are not allowed

5. Gloves or floats are not allowed
  2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I see a couple changes for syllabus:

Decoration jewelry with light reflective qualities, including earrings necklaces, bracelets, etc., are not allowed
    This is a bit confusing because I thought all those would be considered
    personal jewelry - I guess as long as it's not made of the same material as
    the dress it's still considered personal instead of decoration?

Also, gloves are not allowed.
  3. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Regular tan latin/ballroom shoes are reflective on their own... you can't even wear those?

I understand the original purpose of these rules, but i think it is turning into a run-away train.... why not just dance in a t-shirt and sweats?:rolleyes:
  4. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I also notice that the IDSF allowance for skin color in the "intimacy area" as long as it is fully stoned ("If skin colour is used, it has to be SwD") is no longer included. There is a statement that "if the material is transparent then they must be heavily stoned," but it no longer seems to allow for skin color panties that are stoned.
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Lift your arms too much and midriff will show, so that counts as illegal two piece dress. :D
  6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Is that a recent change? I thought the jewelry thing had been there for awhile.

I thought "personal jewelry" meant stuff like a wedding ring or jewelry worn for religious reasons.
  8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Personal Jewelry – jewelry that is unattached to the dance apparel and would be worn in the course of everyday life or at a party, such as necklaces or earrings, wedding rings, etc.
  9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

haha, this is a good one:nope:
  10. I searched for competition dancewear and came across this relevant thread. Our coach was strongly encouraging us to compete last summer. We were planning on it and then I had an issue with figuring out and finding appropriate dancewear for bronze and pre-novice divisions for some local competitions (one of them was USA Dance, and I don't remember the other). Way too frustrating :doh:
    I promised to plan ahead for 2010... I need help.

What is the difference between a "blouse and skirt" (allowed) and a 2-piece dress (not allowed)?

Are either of the examples of top/skirt combinations from Aida Dancewear considered acceptable? (Assuming there are no sparklies on the tops- I can't tell if these are free of "light effects"!). I'm just looking for ideas of acceptable, not necessarily these exact pieces.

Thank you in advance :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

As long as you are at least a Youth and neither dress has sparklies/light effects on them they are acceptable for a USA Dance event.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, but they look like they have light effects to me.
  13. My understanding is that the pictures you showed are blouse and skirt combos and would be allowed (minus the sparkle threads of course). A 2-piece is like a bikini top and skirt, or other similar midriff tops and skirt combos where there is no fabric covering the area between the top and the skirt.
  14. Thank you!!! I wasn't sure what "blouse" meant, either. So, now to find something suitable, which isn't ugly and that doesn't have any light effects!

Suggestions welcome!
  15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

potato sack and duct tape.
  16. Project runway had a potato sack challenge; you can see the results here: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/58676/project-runway-potato-sack-challenge/page/all

I think that mainly for syllabus you should dress nicely and not have anything that is questionably sparkly (beads) or metallic. At MAC ppl had to put tape and redo their clothes in the lineup to try to comply w/ the costuming rules, as well as guys handing off black ties to other competitors as they came off the floor.
  17. Well, the potato sack styles looked just too challenging for me :p so, after a few emails and an invitation, I went to see Cissy at Aida Dancewear. Problem solved! :grin:
  18. Andreth

Andreth Member

Digging up an old thread, but does anyone know if satin counts as a "light effect" or is not allowed for USA dance syllabus competition wear? I wanted to sew a navy blue charmeuse satin dress for competition, but now I'm wondering if that could get me disqualified.
  19. I think yes-- a few years ago at MAC, one of the northeast USA Dance comps, they went up and down the lineups to check costumes and at that time, satiny materials were indeed considered reflective.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member