American and International tango

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by piimapoika, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've watched the videos here on D-F of dancers who, it is my understanding, are certainly advanced enough to be considered sophisticated. I've also seen it danced socially (as in, not competition efforts to be impressive) by people I'm assuming are skilled enough to portray the character of the dance. I'm NOT considering cheesy class routines.

My opinion does not change. I do not care for the character of the dance. Period. I can find absolutely nothing about it that appeals to me. End of story.

It's not a criticism of others. It's not a judgement. I realize that other people feel very differently, and that's fantastic. I'm happy for them. All I'm saying is, "silly, pompous, melodramatic, shallow" is how the dance appears to me.
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

How many of those that you've watched have you really danced it with?

Anything is going to be "shallow" if you are not in a position to notice it's private depth.
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Um...one or two, but I don't see as how that makes a difference. Regardless of how good my partner might be, I'm certainly not good enough to be able to take advantage of it. Nowhere even close.

Anyway. This is all pretty much a moot point, and a hell of a hijack from the OP's question. I'm very sorry to have gotten sucked into it. If you want to discuss it further, I'm fine with that, but let's not hijack things further...pm me.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

She probably got that impression from dancing it with me! :D
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So modest... ;)