American Smooth Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by astoria, Aug 13, 2011.

1. astoria

astoria New Member

I'm a standard dancer who has recently started dancing American Smooth. I love both styles but I haven't committed to buying a pair of smooth shoes yet. I have a narrow foot and am torn between ray rose or supadance. Anyone have any tales of trial and error to help me out before i commit to buying? Thanks :)
  2. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I wear Supadance (I think it's the 1206 or 1207, but don't have them in front of me at the moment). They are the ones with the closed toe and open sides. They've done pretty well for me as far as lasting a decent amount of time. I do find they give me a fair number of blisters when I'm breaking them in, but I've not found another pair that fits my foot better.

I wanted to like the Ray Rose ones, but they simply don't fit my foot correctly.

You may want to try a few pairs on and see how they fit your foot! That's needed to be a determining factor for me!
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I was watching JT Thomas dance pro-am at a competition this weekend, and noted what she had on her feet. And then had the chance to ask her about them. We had a long talk, and I figure there is no better source for info on smooth shoes. Woo-hoo!

She was wearing a shoe she designed and has made by Star dance shoes, available at stardanceshop dot com. It is the model JT2 Smooth Shoe 2". She talked about how it was designed to be able to point your foot, have a stable heel, look good, stay on, and fit well. I asked her if it was more for a narrow or wide foot, and she said she'd heard from wide foot people that it was fine, but she herself has what she called a "thin foot". The interesting thing about the fitting was that she designed the vamp of the forefoot to come up higher on the arch from the Supa that looks similar. And she spoke a lot about the heel -- which from where I was sitting, looked stable as all get out.

If it's good enough for JT, it's gotta be worth trying. If you order a pair, PM me for the discount code she gave me, and I'll pass it on to you. It makes for a 20% discount. As they're $100 to begin with, this can be a big help in the shoe budget.
  4. astoria

astoria New Member

WOw! That's great! I would love to order a pair. Did she mention sizing as well? True to her street shoe size? Thank you SO much for the tip.
  5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

j_a... I see that there is no heel guard available for JT's shoe... does she use one from another brand or does not use them at all?

I use supadance 7901 and absolutely love them.
  6. j_alexandra

She said true to street shoe size. I ordered; I"ll let you know what they're like.
  7. j_alexandra

I didn't ask, but I also didn't see any on her when she was dancing. I gather she doesn't use them. I didn't used to use them, but I like the way they add stability to the heel. So... since the JT2 heel is so stable, they may not be necessary.

For me, that long, narrow toe is death, and the flare heel makes me unstable. And I like a shorter heel, which is why I'm trying the JT2.
  8. astoria

astoria New Member

thanks- do let me know how they work for you. I'm a bit worried about width- i have a narrow foot and I know you said JT said she has a "thin foot" but i usually have issues with the heel cup being too big in any style shoe. I currently use supadance standard shoes.
  9. j_alexandra

me, too; the 1012, the one with the Mary Jane strap. Very stable, but can't point worth a damn.
  10. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

For me, i just want to protect the heel from wearing down too fast and also not go sliding across the floor (in a bad way lol).
  11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

For me, Ray Rose shoes always fit best.... I haven't tried their smooth, but for standard and latin they are wonderful.... I have a very narrow heel and flexible feet, so all other brands I have tried feel too wide and/or don't give me enough arch support.

That being said, I love my Freed practice shoes but those are easy to fit. I think everyone's feet are different so you really have to shop around.
  12. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Did the 2 inch heel look low? Or did it appear to be taller? Because some 2 inch heels look more like 1 1/2 inch.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't appreciate her heels. One because they are lower, and two because they are cuban width. To me they look like squat granny shoes or clunky character shoes.... nothing elegant or beautiful about them.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

JT seemed to be a tad taller than Tomas, so I wonder if that had anything to do with not wearing a higher heel
  15. j_alexandra

They definitely are not the slender beauties of the Supadance contour heel, or even the flare heel. Which is probably why they look lower. But they didn't look as clunky as some thicker heels. And is also why they seem so stable. Meh. I'll find out when they get here.
  16. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Having on bunion on my right foot finding a smooth shoe has always been a problem.

I am completely in love with my new smooth shoes, supadance 1524, which has straps on the side of the closed toe, problem fixed!! I am not a fan of a t-strap shoe, but still happy.
  17. astoria

astoria New Member

i've noticed that too! I did a showcase (mostly smooth) and wore my standard shoes and my instructor kept telling me to point my toes- i was!!!! silly shoes. :)
  18. astoria

astoria New Member

Latest update on the smooth shoes- I contacted Star Dance, who sells the JT2 and she informed me the shoe is made for a medium to wide width foot so alas my narrow foot will not work with these shoes. Bummer. Anyone have experience with the Ray Rose Smooth shoes? I have their Latin shoes and they fit like a dream and run on the narrow side.
  19. j_alexandra

FWIW, my wide foot was too wide for the JT2. Alas.
  20. latervet1

latervet1 Member

I have a narrow foot and ordered the JT2 in a 2 inch heel. so far i really like them. I have been dancing in a 2 1/2 inch heel previously so not sure if its the shoes or the lower heel but i feel really balanced in them. the heel is really nice and snug (but will require some breaking in). as i flex my foot there is some gaping on the sides but the rest of the foot feels really snug. I am going to try the 2 1/2 inch heel as well.