American Smooth Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by astoria, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I just received the JT2 shoes in a 2" heel and they are a little narrow for my hobbit feet. The top of the shoe extends back further towards the strap then the Showtime shoes I have been wearing with a deep v nearer the toes. It looks like the JT2 shoe would work best for a true medium width foot - not too wide, not too narrow! Goldilockean mean.
  2. legato

legato Member

I love this thread, as I'm still searching for a smooth shoe that really works for me, and will definitely try the JT2 - but here is a question about Supa 1531. Is anyone wearing this shoe but living with gapping on the sides of the toe box? This is one of the only Supa styles that feels great for me, except it gaps on the sides when I rise in the foot - maybe this is OK from off the floor? Would the shoe stretch out too much over time? It doesn't seem to affect the overall stability at all, at least in a new pair.

Happily, have found a perfect fit for standard (Dance Naturals) and latin (Ray Rose)...it's just a good fit in smooth that is elusive...
  3. kckc

kckc Active Member

About the JT2- those of you who have tried them, is there any padding in them whatsoever? I have very tender feet these days and every little bit of padding helps. (and excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question, perhaps smooth shoes aren't padded like latin shoes? I'm just starting my journey with smooth dances...)
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I found the 1531 to stretch out very quickly, and yes, they gapped. YMMV. I have Sasquatch-wide feet, so I thought they'd be great, but either I bought them too big or they stretched too much. I can't wear them. Pity. I like the look very much.
  5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I looked at JT1 and JT2 shoes on stardance website under 2 1/2" section, and I don't see much difference between them. Also, do they run a little wide? If so, I probably shouldn't bother, because my feet are not that wide.

I've been using same shoes for both smooth and standard for the last 5 years, and I found that one brand which I can wear straight out of the box - Internationals. Apparently they make some smooth shoes too (closed toe, open sides w/straps) but those are not being sold through dancesport uk online store, where I normally buy them, and IDS own website has no shopping cart.
  6. latervet1

latervet1 Member

@KCKC- there is some padding to the sole of the foot. i am having some soreness on the back of my heel form the heel cup that i am working on padding to make feel better.

@ Tanya- I would not say that they run wide because i have a narrow foot and i think they are fitting well.
  7. latervet1

latervet1 Member

Small update on the JT2s. they may be a bit wide for narrow feet. my 8 1/2's were fitting quite snuggly and felt secure but there was a bad pain on the back of my heel. i attempted to pad the back but it made them too small. i ordered some 9's and the forefoot is quite wide. i can pad it to fit well but when i set them next to my Elegance 8 1/2 narrows which fit well it is very obvious how much wider the forefoot is. so is suspect my first pair was narrow enough because they were essentially 1/2 size too small.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I may have found a good Smooth solution...I bought the Supadance 1534 this weekend and actually wore them to dance in, and they seem to work a lot better than the 1008s.
  9. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

Has anyone worn Dancefeel shoes?
  10. ktia85

ktia85 Member

This thread has been very helpful! I struggle with finding a smooth shoe that I like. I have tried Stephanie, Supadance and Very Fine. I am going to give the JT1 a try!
  11. j_alexandra

I have recently purchased Elegance New Queen shoes. It's a 2 1/2" heel. I had to have the heel tips replaced, plastic ones slid me all over the floor; rubber ones are non-marking and non-slippery. I've gotten used to the higher heel, and I like the flexibility of the sole. And they're not ugly; I like the way they make my feet and legs look and it was worth sucking it up and getting used to the higher heel.

12. latervet1

latervet1 Member

I have a pair of the new queen on the way with double sole. I ordered them for the flexibility. hope they fit well.
  13. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

For those of you curious about DanceFeel smooth shoes, I have just ordered a pair of the Valeria Elite... they should be arriving sometime next week. There is not much information on how they fit online, so I went with the danceshopper recommendation and added 30 to my US size.

[​IMG]

I, for one, have had terrible luck finding smooth shoes that fit. I was a loyal Ray Rose customer for latin and standard and found that nothing fit my feet better (I have pointy feet, extremely narrow heels and slightly wider through the arch and ball). Supadance was always too wide and I would point my foot out of them anyways, Internationals made my arches hurt, Dance Naturals just did not fit anywhere. So, imagine my disappointment when I was pointing my feet out of Ray Rose smooth shoes so couldn't stick with my tried and true brand. For a while, I wore the Supadance style that Larinda wears which was acceptable except for cutting into my foot uncomfortably right around the lower arch. I had hoped they would break in a little but they were still uncomfortable a month later with heavy use (I have pretty strong feet and tend to murder my shoes quickly).

Hopefully the DanceFeel will work. They do not look too wide, which tends to be a problem for me. I like that the description says the vamp is wider, and am hoping that I can avoid the problem I had with the Supas. I am just sad that they do not have that nice delicate heel that the Supas have but what can you do? If anyone else has been having difficulties finding smooth shoes, I will be happy to share my experience with DanceFeel once they arrive :)
  14. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

That's a pretty shoe Nonie. I'd love to hear how you like. I also don't love my current shoes. I don't need a new pair right now, but am always curious about what else is out there.
  15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I wore ray rose for almost a year, but I wasn't too happy with them. The plastic part on the heel pretty much broke off and I had to try supergluing it several times but it kept falling off. I now wear supadance with a closed toe, open sides, and a 2.5in contour heel and I actually really love them because they are really flexible and so my feet look really nice when I point my toes.... slash the color works really well with my black smooth dress.
  16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

So the DanceFeel shoes arrived and they are much too big. The danceshopper fit guide recommended that I add 30 to my shoe size but I have found that these shoes run large. The shoe is also quite wide in the toe box... wider than I was expecting. I am going to have to return/exchange them for a smaller size.

ETA: I will exchange them for a whole size down... this might be too much, but there was at least 1/2" space in the toes so I decided to go for it. Hopefully this will also help the width issue.

Other than the sizing problem, these shoes are well balanced. They are sturdy but also pretty flexible. They are also good looking and the heel is not clunky.
  17. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

UPDATE: So the size smaller arrived in the DanceFeel, and they were still too big. I would have exchanged them for a half size smaller, but my coach and I collectively decided that it wouldn't help how wide the shoes were on my feet. I was absolutely swimming in them, width-wise. That seems to be a problem with me, which is why I am so confused why the Supadance pinched so much.

Anyways, I am going to return the shoes, and continue on in my search for my Cinderella shoe. If any of you are curious to try the DanceFeel and have wider feet, I would definitely recommend them. The shoes I got were attractive (great color of the satin and cool design), sturdy, and quite flexible. I can imagine that if they fit, they would be very nice to dance in, though I didn't really try.

My next stop is DanceLife USA, which my coach keeps recommending I try. I can post my opinions about those shoes here as well, if you like.
  18. j_alexandra

Hey Nonie, how'd the Dancelife shoes work out?
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I didn't get to try any because they didn't have the styles that I wanted any more :(.

I am wearing my Ray Rose standard shoes for now... though it is annoying that I cannot point my foot enough (I spent some time manhandling the shoe to break the bottom which helped), at least they are comfortable and fit.

One day, I will find the shoe that works for me. I tried on my friend's JT smooth shoe and it seemed to fit but I am not sure since I was only wearing one and she has broken them in already. She really likes the shoes and says they are very supportive and flexible.
  20. j_alexandra

Thx. FWIW, I love the look of the Valeria, but that 2.5" heel will kill me; I just can't get that balance point. Can't. Been trying for years. My last pair of smooth shoes, I finally gave up and had half an inch cut off the 2.5" heel, and that was good, but I've stretched them out and they're swimming on my feet now, no stability at all. But they point like a dream. What's a smooth dancer to do? I wonder if the shoemaker could cut down the heel of the Valeria, without compromising the balance?

Also, do you by any chance remember how flexible the sole was? I *like* pointing my feet.

I'm thinking about going back to the Supadance smooth shoes, but IME, the quality has dropped drastically now that they're made in China. I don't want the same problems I had before, with off-center heels that encouraged me to roll to the outside. I can do that just fine, thanks; I don't need Supadance's help! :mad:

Note to self: ask shoemaker if he can transfer the contour heels from my worn-out court shoes to a new pair of Smooth shoes. Hmmmm...