America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. reb

reb Active Member

The Ohio Star Ball hosted one of the best competitions - and the part that will be shared by all is that it will be televised from January 31st through February in 5 one-hour shows on PBS.

The competition is real, the quality of dance is real, and the drama is real.

I think these broadcasts fit into the void between DWTS and SYTYCD. How will real reality fare?
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

Good question. I often wonder if real ballroom dancing reality is palatable by the mainstream TV audience as there are no celebrities on "America's Ballroom Challenge," and the costuming and dancing is more "dancesporty" than on "Dancing with the Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance?". I guess we'll see!

I'm so very much looking forward to seeing the shows, though! And don't you have to sleep, it's like nearly 2am in Ohio!!!
  3. reb

reb Active Member

You're right - you know how comps are first there's un-jet-lagging, then competing, eating, resting, cheering-for-friends, working remotely, competing eating, resting, talking, competing, eating, resting, working-remotely-some-more, meeting someone new, competing, eating, resting, touring, competing, eating, resting, typing-into-DF, competing, eating, resting, clapping-for-tv, sleeping, flying home . . .!!
  4. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

It will be interesting to see how many viewers will the show attract, since it will be aired over five weeks, with the grand finale taking place during week 5.

Great achievement for Sam though - 5 hours of primetime TV on ballroom dancing!
  5. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

When Championship Ballroom Dance was on PBS they always put it on during the pledge drive because they knew it drew viewers.

Let's hope it does the same for the general populace as it did for Public Broadcast audiences.
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yay! 5 episodes!!!
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is why it has to be so...fake.
  8. redhead

redhead New Member

yeah!
  9. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I think it should do very well. Didn't they increase the number of hours from 2 to 5 because last year it did so well?

Paula
  10. LucyDiamond

I'm hoping they broadcast all of the show dances and not just the top 4.

Paula
  11. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Me too !
  12. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

Based on how it was taped and how much time is allotted to each category, I'm venturing a guess that for each style at least the final, the finalists' show dances, and some exhibition dances will be shown. Maybe we'll even see some of the semis also...
  13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm....last year they showed for each style the final, the top 3 couples showdances, exihibition dances and of course the "final" showdances of the four couples from each style.

They did all of that in two hours. Wonder what they'll add given that they are doing five hours instead of two.

As DFL mentioned, perhaps some of the semis...and didn't I hear somewhere that they were going to try to do detail on the couples themselves? Also, fascination mentioned she was interviewed, so perhaps they are doing some spots from the spectator view too?
  14. reb

reb Active Member

Just received my local PBS (KCET) guide for December and they are showing last year's America's Ballroom Challenge on Christmas Day 12/25 at 9 & 10 PM and repeating New Year's Eve Day 12/31 at 3 & 4 PM.

This run-up will also serve as a recent reminder and year-to-year comparison.
  15. reb

reb Active Member

Almost forgot - going to family Christmas get-together and was reminded that America's Ballroom Challenge from last year will be on PBS tonight.
  16. alemana

alemana New Member

will check here locally (PA.) thanks for the reminder!
  17. alemana

alemana New Member

YAYAY! it's on here. my family: NOT AMUSED! hah.
  18. hamstersphere

hamstersphere New Member

Too true, everyone else was playing games and watching 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and I was in the back room by myself cringing at Tony Meredith's teleprompter skills ...
  19. LucyDiamond

I watched the reruns last night and really enjoyed them. Much better quality than YouTube. :lol:

I'm very much looking forward to watching this years.

Paula
  20. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

My mom and I got to watch after everyone went to sleep :D I'm so glad they're doing 5 episodes this year! Can not wait. . .