America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I agree!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
  2. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I cannot find it in on the WNET (channel 13) schedule in New York or on WLIW (Long Island public TV). Does anybody in the New York/New Jersey area know when it will be broadcast?
  3. reb

reb Active Member

If this helps focus your search - its supposed to repeat New Year's Eve Day 12/31 . . . 3 & 4 PM by us.
  4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I didn't see it on WNET or WNJT's schedule (don't know about WLIW). I ended up watching it on WHYY (channel 12) out of Philadephia. Do you get channel 12?
  5. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

Hi everyone,
    The show was expanded to five episodes because it did so well last year. Make sure to promote it to all of your friends and colleagues!
    There are elements of the show that are kind of hokey, but this year we try to preserve as much of the original competition format as we can. There is voiceover commentary and some banter between Marilu and Tony (the hosts), but that helps to educate people from outside the dance community as to what is going on. To answer the earlier question, all of the showdances from all of the six professional finalists will be shown on their respective hour of programming (hour 1=smooth, hour 2=rhythm, hour 3=standard, hour 4=latin), and then the winners from those divisions perform 2 showdances a piece in hour 5. Lots of pro/am and youth exhibitions are sprinkled throughout as well.
  6. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

As you seem involved in the show, perhaps you can answer my earlier question, which is that I cannot find it on the schedule for WNET or WLIW in the New York area for the whole month of January.
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

It was just on from 3-5am here in San Diego last night. My two observations were (A) that it was great to see these couples on TV doing what they really do, and (B) that the format and especially the commentary were tremendously misleading, although not in any way that really does any harm.

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's 5 hour version and hoping that the additional covergae time and voice overs provide for a more representative view.
  8. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

PBS dot org. Enter your zip code.

http://www.pbs.org/search/search_programsaz.html

9. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

Agreed! This is the best way to locate times when your local PBS station will broadcast the show. It may be that WNET has a unique holiday programming schedule.

I agree that the editing from last year's show had to skew the showdance/groupdance results, and that was really unfortunate. It's great that there's room to show all of the finals now. Did anyone notice how in the standard division they miraculously change costumes before they announce the results?
  10. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

11. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

Nice! That's a great way to stay informed.
  12. Beto

Beto Active Member

My girlfriend and I caught the second hour of it on Christmas Day. It was pretty neat seeing Tony and Elena plus Jesse competing on it. :D

Does anyone know if there's a list of songs used on the show? :confused: There was this one number (I'm sorry I can't remember who danced during it) that had a voiceover, almost like an instructional voice over about moving your hips, shaking and the beat, but that was done to a smooth, jazzy type of song.

EDIT: Never mind. I think I may have found what I'm looking for.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/competition-music.html

Have to check some of these against various sites to find the one I'm looking for ;)
  13. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Not sure what year competition your talking about...but from your description it sounds like a show dance I've seen Max & Yulia perform if that helps at all...
    (full names Maxim Kozhevnikov & Yulia Zagoruychenko :) )
  14. Beto

Beto Active Member

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. The song title is "Hip Hip Chin Chin (Yaziko Club Mix) by Stephane Pompougnac. Unfortunately, the song sample on Amazon.com is very short so I'm going to keep looking till I find out for sure. :D
  15. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe this is last year's program being shown to prime us for the new episodes.

Last year's show aired this morning on Boston's PBS at 4am and 5am respectively. I had a little bit of insomnia and got to watch them. They were fun but the editing was a bit zany, as I had remembered it. I really hope this new show is put together better.

Either way, I can't wait to see it. Cheers!

16. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Check itunes for "hip hip chin chin"...
  17. carmello

carmello New Member

When you say "WE", are you associated with the show production, or are you part of the Ohio Star Ball?
  18. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

I'd love to see Ballroom competitions on tv alot more. Russia show major Championships and dancing is very popular there because of it.
  19. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

I work for Aida Moreno, the show's producer. I'm a production assistant on the show.
  20. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

Yes It would be great to have alot more comps on tv. I think more people would join the sport.