America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok. I loved all of the dances tonight! Hmmm... if my instructor allows me to decide what we are working on during my next lesson I think that I will say Paso! ;)
  2. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

I'm bummed that we won't get to see Max & Yulia dance again next week. She is mesmerizing.

Tony Meredith's exclaimations during the awards presentation were cracking me up. "Gasp! They're both from New Jersey." "Rule 11!"
  3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That was hilarious, but at least it broke the tension. ;)
  4. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Me too...and you are right, she IS mesmerizing. Easily my favorite latin dancer. I personally liked their showdance the best...they just use every little tiny nuance in the music so perfectly. :notworth:
  5. Musique

Musique New Member

i watched it live. andrei and elena's paso really impressed me. the cape was dramatic and reached the audience better in that large arena. but when i watched the dances again on TV, i think i like max and yulia's routine better.

however, it seems that max and yulia's routine was not well rehearsed. in the beginning part, she meant to present every strike of the string in the music with her feet. but she missed quite some. and she lost balance in the final pose. i read their facial expressions while they walked off the floor as "oops, we kind of screwed up".

i hope i can watch this number again at a better night. it's a great idea to use every little nuance in the music. there's a saying for great soccer players, "his feet can play violin". so can yulia's feet.
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoyed watching the latin tonight...lot's of great dancing.

What was your favorite part of the show?
  7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

All the dancers did amazing last night (well, back in November). I think with travel schedules, multiple rounds to dance in a Professional Latin event, a showdance to perform, a couple thousand people to dance in front of, not to mention the tv cameras those people deserve a lot of credit.

I do not care in the least bit if there was a stumble, a sway or whatever. Sheesh.
  8. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

lucky you, to have watched it live! I'm envious! ;)

I cant wait 'til Heritage next weekend...we will see Max and Yulia live there! :banana:

I can't remember where, but I've seen capes used in a showdance just like that, where the man danced with it like he was wearing a skirt most of the time...I think it was years ago on an old tape I have...no, on a tape wooh let me borrow....can't remember the people who performed it, but seeing Andrei and Elena's routine reminded me alot of that old one...wish I could remember who it was.
  9. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I remember Andrei and Elena missing a connection big-time last year and still winning. I actually kind of like to see that....it means they are human and make mistakes. lol!. ;)
  10. VinceraVivere

VinceraVivere New Member

I liked Max and Yulia's routine a lot better than the Paso, and was really disappointed that they didn't win. I'm completely enamored by their dancing, and their routine was awesome live. For whatever reason I didn't like the paso so much, and that routine with the black "ripped" costumes didn't do much for me either. Why am I so routine-picky? o.0

I can't wait until next week's! It should be awesome. Ben and Shalene are still my overall favourite couple...I can't wait until I (hopefully) go take coaching from them!
  11. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

I loved watching latin all over again. I saw it live, but I was sitting far so didn't get to see it as well as this time. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see much of Max and Yulia in the group dance. I don't know how she got to be this fast and precise, but it's almost supernatural!

I didn't like Andrei and Elena...never did. They're difference in height is just too much for me. I think they would be more successful with other partners.

Too bad Max and Yulia didn't win the overall...:(
  12. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Snide?

Did you catch (I paraphrase):

Merilu: Is she allowed to lip-sync like that?
    Tony: Yeah, I think she's doing it on purpose...

Did Tony sound snide or was that my imagination?

;-)
  13. White Chacha

Don't get me wrong, they're all fabulous dancers. But after reading the show dance rules posted here earlier, I couldn't help but think Andrei and Elena were just pushing the props rule with his "skirt" that kept going on and off but was never discarded. It bordered on gimmickry for me.

But they won so what do I know?

This was the first contest where the 1st and 2nd place placements were so divided!
  14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

This is just from my observation, but I noticed that what appeared to be a skirt was really a cape attached to his pant leg, and it never came off. What might have looked confusing is that she would wrap around her skirt just right to make it look like his cape came off his pant leg. But that's what I saw. ;)
  15. White Chacha

You're right that it never came off him. I noticed that as well. But it was still my impression that it was a prop in spirit; just not a prop by the rules.
  16. Coydancer

Coydancer New Member

I found it rather gimmicky as well...it really distracted me from the other elements of the dance. But I haven't watched too much Paso so I don't know if that's a really unusual take on it (the cape/skirt/whatever).

The couple who I believe placed 6th with the black costumes (tutu-like skirt)...I didn't care for their routine at all. It seemed well done for what it was, but I kept thinking to myself "where's the ballroom in this?" :confused: I don't know, sometimes showdances seem too far removed via choreography from their origins. Maybe just a personal bias.
  17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh yeah I understand. But then wouldn't using someone's tie be a prop in spirit then, and what about suspenders (unfortunately I will somehow not be able to forget that routine lol)? I must say that I liked the tie routine better than the suspender routine lol. But yeah I wonder where you can draw the line on something like that. ;)
  18. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Can someone tell me why the Canadian couple, Natale and Andre, always comes in 3rd at Ohio no matter how badly they dance relative to Ilya/Nadia and Delyan/Boriana? I say this because in every important international championship, here's how they stack up against each other:

UK Open 2007- Natale/Andre (47th); Delyan/Boriana (12th!!); Ilya/Nadia (20th)
    Blackpool - Natale Andre (43rd); Delyan/Boriana (20th); Ilya/Nadia (24th)
    UK Open 2006 - Natale Andre (36th); Delyan/Boriana (17th); Ilya/Nadia (29th)

I don't see how you can justify this great disparity in ranking at these prestigious competitions and correlate to Ohio??? I can't believe it. I feel bad for Delyan/Boriana and Ilya/Nadia. I strongly disagree with the judging but well, it's over and done with.
  19. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I seem to be in the minority here but, I liked Andrei and Elena's paso the best. I liked the drama of it and I very much liked the attached cape. To me, that's what a showdance should be.
  20. reb

reb Active Member

There's probably plenty of room for interpretation - generally they're trying to prevent an ever-more-elaborate "sets" being made or costumes being taken off and thrown onto the floor - and people have had some very innovative ways of handling costume changes while the material remains attached. I also was wondering if Igor and Julia's might have crossed a line since the guys coming to carry Igor away were part of the headbanger act.
    Yeah, don't know what to say, except that type of gimmickry seems to be pretty well accepted. Max & Yulia also had a fantastic routine with attached costumes (see citylightsball.com for a snapshot of it), as well as some other prominent showdance couples.
    We see a Rule 11 or Rule 10 probably once a comp, have been in several Rule 11s ourselves, and some friends were just in a Rule 10 last week at Cal Open. I think they are more likely to occur in even-numbered events (such as this 6-dance event we're discussing c/s/r/p/j + showdance), normal smooth competition (4 dances), etc.

I felt Andrei & Alena's was better on this night also.