America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

bummer -- did not know; haven't seen yet.

we should have a "spoiler" icon for this thread...

2. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Last night was great! Max and Yulia were fantastic in the group dances! Andre and Elena's showdance wasn't my favorite, but it was really solid while I felt Max and Yulia had so much more in them- maybe like someone said it hadn't been rehearsed enough. I do wish that Max and Yulia had won the entire latin division. Ilya and Nadia really surprised me! They've improve a lot and I really liked their showdance.

Two of the featured youth showdances stood out in my mind, even against what the pros were doing. Pasha & Inna and Leo & Daniella were just fantastic!

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't watched it yet as I was out and I taped it...kind of bummed that M&Y aren't in the "final".

So, who do you all think will win the "final?" (and for those of you who know who already know the outcome, please don't spoil!)

4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I am thinking J&K, based on name alone... They are after all the only blackpool and world finalists in the "final". I can't imagine Toni Dovolani or Ben Ermis winning anything against Jonathan... M&Y would have had a shot but I doubt Andrei and Elena do...

5. VinceraVivere

VinceraVivere New Member

Whoops, sorry! I figured it was OK after the show had aired. :eek:

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I just meant vs the first three shows. In general it seems like at championship level in high-profile comps, first and second place are very close to unanimous, and then there starts to be noise in the placements from 3 on down. But 1st and 2nd were strongly divided for Latin.

7. reb

reb Active Member

you're right!

8. mamboqueen

Just watched last night's show and SO glad I taped it because I will enjoy watching it over and over.

I thought ALL of the latin showdances were excellent...but I particularly liked Delyan & Boriana and Vaidotas and Jurga (I'm sure I just butchered some names - my apologies!). They were just both so stunning to watch - the emotional connection between each couple was just mesmerizing (yeah, time for a cigarette). Not that I'm biased or anything, but I thought the latin showdances were better than all of the others. heh...no bias at all.

After someone's statement about Natale and Andre beating out Nadia and Ilya, I paid some attention to those couples. I think Natale has gorgeous feet and body rythym. For me, I have a hard time watching Natalie and Ilya sometimes because of their costuming...last year they both were decked out in all yellow and this year I couldn't really look at his shirt. Silly, I know, but it drew me away from them. Andre Gavriline...is my new Daniel Craig. OMG - light blue looks so incredible on him. He is such a handsome guy. Okay, so his dancing is great, too...whatever!

I had never seen Pasha and Inna dance before tonight and I'm just blown away by them. What a dynamic couple ...and such creative use of the song they had. I hope to see them dance in person one of these days.

The other youth couple (Daniela and ??? sorry) were also phenomenal. I'm just amazed at how young they are when they dance and emote the way they do. Just breathtaking.

So, I'm going to rip the tab off the tape so one of my kids doesn't tape a Spongebob-athon over this.

9. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

my thoughts exactly.

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

See, I think Andrei and Elena look fantastic dancing together. They have a chemistry and a visible appreciation of each other as dancers and as people that matters to me far more than height. Perhaps I'm terribly old-fashioned, but I think there's something romantic about a married couple who so obviously love each other dancing together. When I watch them do rumba, I believe.

ChaChaMama

11. reb

reb Active Member

From the PBS website . . . "It’s the final showdown. Four champions compete across all four dance styles to see who will be named “America’s Best.” Dancers perform short and long programs highlighting both mastery of their style and the creativity to go beyond it. Plus, the best cabaret couples showcase gravity-defying artistry."

It'll be hard for a Standard couple to overcome the showdance a Latin/Rhythm couple can put on - and Smooth is close.

12. reb

reb Active Member

You've expressed an important aspect - these are different people with different talents and approaches . . . and some people enjoy/look for one thing more than another. Somehow the judges have to sort that all out - that's why they get the big bucks.

I have seen the awed expression and heard the words spoken describing Andre's quality of lead and dance by a world class Latin champion/judge - emphasized by his tremendous body movement and being able to transmit that lead to HER height. I am similarly awed by Andre.

Reading an earlier comment about Andre's partner's height - Yulia's partner's height is perhaps the opposite situation.

I love watching Max & Yulia - forever entertaining, nothing negative, hey, they're World South American Showdance champs!

13. alemana

alemana New Member

OOOO Pasha and Inna are featured? I will be watching the rebroadcast Saturday - I'm thrilled. I saw them dance in person for the first time recently and really, really enjoyed them.

14. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I'm wondering if the rule against taking any clothing off in the showdance category isn't a liability issue. In the past version of Championship Ballroom DAncing one of the couples - can't think of the name- came onstage with a jazz feel, her in pants and jacket. It switched to quickstep, he ripped the pants off her, both pants and jacket were thrown away and they danced quickstep around the floor. The lighting was very dark. Near the end of the performance they entered the middle of the floor again for some apart work and she slipped on her discarded costume and fell.

15. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Maybe, but tear-away clothes and other props are used in the showcases. If the organizers were worried about liability, you'd think they'd prohibit the practice completely.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

'Twas Igor and Irinia Suvurov.

17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

I finally got to watch the rebroadcast on Saturday (I was knocked on my can with a 24-hour bug, so no dancing this past weekend :mad: ).

In any case I really enjoyed ALL the performances, and was particularly impressed by the unique choices of music just as I was the dancing, or as Marilu said "This proves you can dance to just about ANYTHING" (about time says this Owl!).

And one burning question, WHY DO SO MANY DANCERS LIVE IN NEW JOIZEY??? Is iit an official rule?

Does this warrant a National Geographic team going in to investigate the phemonena? :mrgreen: :lol:

18. Dancing-Chicka

Dancing-Chicka New Member

I will be watching it on Wednesday. Back to back.. last episode then finals. It didnt air last weekend :(

19. mamboqueen

Well, before someone makes a bad Jersey joke (and will pay for it when I run into them!!), let's just say the Garden State grows good dancers! My guess is its proximity to Manhattan, while being *slightly* more affordable, is probably the real reason....also easy to jump across the pond if needed.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, we've touched on this in a few threads... it's currently an elite-dancer training ground... one of jersey's wonderful redeeming characteristics. :)