America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

thank you - that's who i thought but wasn't sure.

and thanks :)

2. alemana

alemana New Member

woops, it's TONIGHT!

the massively manufactured but nevertheless fascinating

AMERICA'S BEST COUPLE CHALLENGE!

woot.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

way better than the academy awards, that's for sure! :)

4. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Whoah! I cannot believe I'm the first to comment about tonight's dance-off.

I loved the dancing, but found the commentary -- when it existed to be distracting at best.

The good:
    Dancing at its best. Yowzah! I am surprised at how much I REALLY enjoyed the cabaret numbers.

All 4 couples really brought it ON for those routines.

I loved all of Marilou's dresses that she wore on the show.

The mediocre:
    Ultra confusing and from out of nowhere comments about short and long programs. I haven't missed any of the shows and haven't heard any mention of this until tonight.

And, how is an Argentine Tango permissable in the genre category but a cha cha/hip hop number considered outside the box? Both were really cool to watch but I must be missing something about American Rhythm dance classifications. I guess...

The bad:
    If Marilou said "she definitely has had ballet" one more time I was going to scream. So what?! Millions of girls have had ballet. Can't you comment on the BALLROOM or LATIN dancing they're doing now? Sheesh!

The commentary was disastrous when it occurred at all. Why can't they get excited and show a little energy and enthusiasm? I just don't get it. Somebody explain it to me, please. Talk about steps, styles, something. Give me something, will ya?

Alrighty, I'm done for now.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

SO true about Marilu's ballet obsession. For someone who alleges to have grown up in a ballroom, she has miraculously little to say about ballroom dancing.

I was thinking last night that in the Fox or MTV broadcasts of ballroom dancing (we're in fantasy land, now, kids) they could have a scrollbar along the bottom of our esteemed Dance-Forums commentary. I of course could provide the self-important, historically-inaccurate-but-pretending-to-be-gospel play-by-play, MQ could provide color commentary (Marilu Retton to my Dick Button, as it were) on such topics as Male Hotness Factor, and there could be a second thread of commentary consisting of nothing but rote rehashings of the argument about american style versus international.

Oh, and Lots About Dresses.

7. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Anton and Karolina looked great!!!

Awesome show- Jonathan and Katusha looked absolutely stunning. Other routines that stood out to me included Tony and Elena's Sexyback routine and Felipe and Carolina's cabaret. All of the couples were great- loved the show!

8. Merrylegs

Ya know, a live feed to DF just might work. At least it's enthusiastic (and then some) and on point. And, educated and opinionated. I think it would be great.

I also wonder if they should rotate the hosts for the different styles: get a Smooth pro for Smooth, Latin wiz for Latin and so on. If you don't walk the walk you can't talk the talk. Right?

I love the show, love that it's on during prime time and that it opens doors to non dancers but it needs something more. Not more glitz or over production but a realness to it.

Also, I find it disappointing when dancing is being filmed from the waist up. Why bother? Grrrrrrr! Showing that formation number and just focusing on the young girls' faces was not the intention of a formation performance.

9. Merrylegs

I guess I wasn't done the first time I said I was done. I might be done now. ;)

10. Anna

Anna New Member

My main problem with the commentary is that absolutely everything is "amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing," even when some of the showdances are way better than others technically and as routines. It definitely wouldn't hurt (in fact, it'd help) to point out what makes one better than another instead of just saying "omg I have no idea how the judges are going to pick the winners." For me Jonathan and Katusha were the clear winners, and their showdances tonight grabbed me much more than theirs two weeks ago.

It was also confusing that Marilu introduced the exhibitions as cabaret, even when one was cabaret, one was theater arts, and one was exhibition (and John DePalma introduced them as that).

I didn't like the ribbon exhibition dance, and I found Andrei and Elena's costuming distracting. I really enjoyed Anton and Karolina's exhibition, and Gary and Rita's show was great! I hadn't seen it before, so now I can see why people were a bit shocked when they didn't place better in the world showdance championships.

11. dancesportgirl21

Ooo yeah- I forgot to mention Garry and Rita- I love that routine- one of the the most innovative pieces of choreography I've ever seen!

12. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Ayuh, a much better five hours then the four hours of the awards. :D

13. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I set my vcr to record the show since I couldnt be at home and.....it didn't work. And I'm going to be at Heritage this sat when they replay it on the other PBS channel. Unless I can figure out how to make it record before sat, then I guess I'll just have to wait to see it until it replays again (and usually they replay it into the ground so thats good, but its a matter of finding out when it comes on). Grrrr...

14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

This seemed to be the trend over each of the five hour long shows.

I actually disliked the 1st cabaret performance, and the Talona's were my favorite.

She seemed to be making a lot of ballet comments tonight. Neither host seemed to provide solid commentary through out the series. Rather puzzling. If we look at things like ice skating, ice dancing, gymnastics, etc, the commentary always seems to be detailed ... why not dance?

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, how did everyone like Felipe and Carolina's number? I have seen that in person and it just blows me away...so emotional.

I actually enjoyed Jonathan & Katusha's "long" dance quite a bit, and also Ben and Shalene's (I actually thought they were going to take the title). A very different look for them, which was nice to see.

The ribbon stuff isn't really my thing, but the amount of strength that lady had was quite amazing.

Loved Tommye and Greg (?). Hadn't seen or heard of them before ... have they not performed for a while?

Well, kind of sad it's all over for another year. Maybe PBS will see the rewards of showing ballroom and televise a few more comps. We can only hope!

16. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Enjoyed this one, too. Saw it in person about a month ago and could not figure out how she performed this number and then not even 5 minutes later had her hair down long with no after-affects of that hairdo. I had a little chuckle when Tony said "this is my favorite song" when Popcorn came on. I don't know if I'd admit that being my favorite song ;)

17. dancesportgirl21

I find it even more strange when Tony doesn't know what to say and just starts listing steps. . .

MQ- I agree- PBS should do more events like this throughout the year!

I saw the Telonas do that number in person last year and I have to say while I lreally oved it then, they've only gotten better and better.

18. dancesportgirl21

LOL!

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

They have competed in Theatre Arts in years.

20. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I thought there routine was tops. Outstanding!

I felt Ben and Shalene would come in 2nd to Jonathan and Katusha.

Nice job with the ribbon routine, but the Talona's performance was better.

I actually wasn't thrilled with their style. She looked more ballet like then anything. Seemed to detract from the dance.

I'd really like to get a copy on vcr of that last show.

Oh, and by the way, really enjoyed the young couple from Canada's tango performance tonight, too.