America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I agree with the ribbon routine. My sister did a group dance to a ribbon routine when she was like 10 years old. I kept thinking why are adults using ribbons in their routine? And their outfits were definitely well... different. Maybe that's just me though.

I didn't really have a favorite though. Tony impressed me with how he dances. Ben and Shalene impressed me by getting into outfits that you don't usually see them in. The others were so so with me tonight.

Oh but I did love a couple of the Cabaret dances though! Wow!!!!
  2. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Rhythm gymnastics is incredibly difficult. (aka, the ribbon dance--and then some!) It's also an olympic sport. Not performed by children.

Go online and google for the sport, watch a couple of videos and then see if you still have the same opinion. The precision, speed and agility will leave you awestruck.

I thought it was beautiful and I have always loved that Stevie Wonder song.
  3. Anna

Anna New Member

Oh, I agree the girl was great, extremely strong, flexible, precise, etc. But for me the guy didn't really add anything to the girl, and I think I would rather have just seen the girl performing a rhythmic gymnastics routine.
  4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

OK, what was with the opening of Felipe's and Carolina's routine? He get's shot and comes back to life. I liked the routine but I don't get it.
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, my sister did do a group dance to a ribbon routine, and I do have that on video. It was very well done. And I know it takes strength, but I was not impressed. To me the girl was better than the guy, because the guy stood there a lot. But that's what impresses me the most about Tony. Tony moves his body instead of standing there. Again, it was just not my cup of tea. Sorry. ;)
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh and if you meant that is not for children meaning showcase or whatever... maybe not. I might have got confused on your meaning. But it still wasn't my thing. ;)
  7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Some/most of the theatre arts guys seem more like weight lifters than dancers. I thought they seemed unevenly matched too.
  8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's true. I thought that they were definitely physically fit! ;)
  9. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

Ha! That cracked me up, too -- almost as much as how amazed and impressed he was when the first couple did The Robot.

I am so hoping that Elena Grinenko lasts longer on DwtS this season than she did last season. She looked great on ABC tonight, and I'd love to see her reach a wider audience. And normally I'm not a big Tony Dovolani gal, but in his tux during their first routine...yowzah.
  10. reb

reb Active Member

Otherwise a good program, then they do things like this - keep it real, don't make up things, and treat the audience with respect.

All I could think was that this was more manufactured storytelling - and why? I hope next year the rules, entries, program, format - and "reporting" are consistent. There is a whole year to do it right - and that can require the least effort.

Get rid of all the adjectives and quit with the phony numbers such as "thousands" (last week) and "hundreds" (this week) - we know how many competitors in each field there really were.
  11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just a couple people that can come up with more to say than "She's puuuure class!" or "She's definitely had ballet!" would suffice for me.
  12. reb

reb Active Member

. . . and I was near 2 quality play-by-play announcers at the Cal Open (Laura, are you reading this!?!?!) - no kidding! They both knew what they were talking about, communicated well to 1st-timers, and made it enjoyable!
  13. GeorgiaDancer06

GeorgiaDancer06 New Member

Any chance that any videos will be posted? I'd really like to see the exhibition dance done by Anton & Karolina from this evening again.
  14. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Regarding the comments the hosts make, even back in the prior incarnation, the hosts drooled over the ballet training of the dancers. Juliet Prowse used to point it out all the time and every guest host since then has copied her.

If you were to watch several of the old Championship Ballroom Dance shows back to back you would see that the comments were almost verbatim from year to year. It's like they just recycled the same script from the prior year with the addition of new names.
  15. Merrylegs

GJB, I call them fork lifts! Not that the women are heavy (not at all!) but they realy do pick up the woman, spin her around and then put her back down again.

I'm sorry to say that I right now I cannot recall the gentleman's name in this partnership but last night I remember thinking, Oh yeah, I remember him. He's good.

I think there is a significant age gap which might contribute to the feeling that they're mismatched. I think it was his baggy pants. I'm serious! They made him look slow.
  16. Merrylegs

Ya know you've hit on something. Why can't they get a script writer?

Maybe Bruce Valanch has a couple of minutes he can spare?
  17. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

If you listen to the lyrics of "Goodbye My Lover" it makes perfect sense- they were telling the story how he died dying and through the dance how she had loved him, would miss him, and was saying goodbye. Really beautiful.
  18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can r*e*f*r*e*s*h my memory on how the "final" worked last year. I am quite certain the couples didn't do a long and short program. I do recall that Elena & Andre, Liane and Erminio, Elena and Tony and Ben and Shaleen were the final four and I think it was Elena and Andre that won (?). What's the purpose of having them do three "extra" dances (one to qualify and then a long and short)? Better TV? It seems like an awful lot for them to have to work on. And then there are those couples that *may* make the final and must have to have extra routines prepared, too. It seems like it can take away from the regular championship they're trying to win by going to the comp in the first place.

Thoughts?
  19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I think for better TV. And, re: the extra work, 1) I think there was pretty good prize money for the overall winner - I heard something like $10,000 but not sure about that and 2) The exposure is good for business.
  20. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, but the lyrics sound more like a breakup than a death.