America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I think I read on America's Ballroom Challenge website that it was going to be in hi def, if thats what you are talking about. If not, ignore this post. :)
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i discovered over the weekend that the BF, who has tivo, has all the first ballroom challenges saved... and that he can burn them to DVD for me!

tivo will automatically save anything "ballroom" onto its hard drive, so he'll get the next series as well.

i don't watch any tv and don't miss it... but i could watch these events over & over and really look forward to having my own copy. he's got the international comps, as well... am so grateful today for television & tivo. ;)

is anybody else here tivo-ing these shows?
  3. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

The show is available in HD--look for sweat beads and individual sparkles on dresses!
    And Samina, I'm glad that Tivo let's you watch the show again and again. Keep in mind, though, that the show's viewership is evaluated based on people who tune in when it's aired, so it's important that as many people watch it on TV as is possible. Also, make sure that that DVD doesn't get copied too many times or that dancers start using it for personal promotion, as we will get sued by the holders of music rights and they will get hounded for violating their appearance release contracts.
    We'd love to release the shows to DVD, but it would cost an extra $80,000 to clear the music rights. If anyone knows interested funders, call Aida.
  4. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

Oh, and just so you guys know, we took the music off of the website for now, but will post it again for each episode after the show airs (so the winners aren't known beforehand)
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this would be just for a viewer's personal use. :)
  6. reb

reb Active Member

Of course, we want everyone to watch and for this to be a big hit - but how would one 'know' how many people are viewing - one way to improve the certainty of Neilsen's statistical process are methods such as call-in voting, which I don't think is in the America's Ballroom Challenge format.

I think they place Neilsen ratings boxes in 5,000 homes - out of tens of millions of viewers. AFAIK, these are the only people who would be 'monitored' for receiving the signal. And then there's the non-traditional methods of tv reception and viewing - including tivo.

Wasn't there a big flap about Neilsen's ratings - whether they were inflated at one point (the worry was that higher numbers support high tv ad charges and tv industry promotion over radio and other ad mechanisms)?

I don't see how Samina's viewing of America's Ballroom Challenge - as she sees fit - will diminish the ratings. With tivo and other recording mechanisms, isn't it possible that the advertisers actually then get their commercials replayed more?
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

anyway, i'm not a tv viewer, so i'm not really someone the neilsen ratings (or abc) would be concerned with. my viewing this program will be an anomaly.
  8. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

TiVo, and possibly other DVR services (like the ones built into some digital cable boxes) provide aggregate data to people willing to pay. It's part of their financial model. So I guess it's possible for TiVo to tell Nielsen or another rating service that N people watched the show live, and M people recorded it and/or may have also watched it live...
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Commercials...remember people--we're talking public television here. :)
  10. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I wonder how well its going to do this time around, since American Idol and other shows are also on Wednesday nights around the same time. Personally, I will be watching and recording ABC (not for distribution, lol, but for my own future viewing...funny thing is, though I record it and rewatch it many times, when I see it re-aired on tv I watch it then too...can't say how many times I have seen last year's show. ha ha!). But for others who aren't so focused on dancing and getting better at it, what will they do? I'm curious to find out.
  11. reb

reb Active Member

Email notice arrived today:

Dear Ballroom Dancing fan,
    Tradition and Elegance ... Seduction and Sizzle ...
    Ballroom's Back -- Bigger and Better than Ever!
    Expanding into a five-episode series, AMERICA'S BALLROOM CHALLENGE returns with more competition, more dazzling exhibitions, and an even closer look at what goes on behind the scenes at the world's largest ballroom dancing competition -- all shot in stunning High Definition.
    Watch a preview at:
    http://www.pbs.org/ballroomchallenge
    Tune-in for the series premiere of AMERICA'S BALLROOM CHALLENGE Wednesday, January 31 at 8pm ET on PBS (check local listings at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/airdates.html).
    Thank you for your support, and keep dancing!
    America's Ballroom Challenge
  12. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

And besides, if I record something to watch later, I fast-forward through the commercials.
  13. vikinyc

vikinyc New Member

Yippee! I can't wait!!

Dance on...
    viki-nyc
  14. reb

reb Active Member

The 1st hour is this Wednesday (already!) and here's an input from USA Dance News

Christopher Nyemchek & Nesya Serebro, US representatives to the IDSF World Amateur Youth Latin Championships in Finland will be appearing on America's Ballroom Challenge, Episode #1 on Wednesday, January 31st at 8 pm on PBS.
    . . . double check dates & times with your local PBS affiliate station.
  15. reb

reb Active Member

16. White Chacha

Yay, my high-def box is running just in time. I can record the show off the air (from my wonderful wgbh-hd station) in high def :)
  17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I am soooo jealous...
  18. White Chacha

I did a test-run last night. Recorded the Metropolitan Opera production of The Magic Flute. Gorgeous!

It's funny though, there's a lot of HDTV scurrying around work for the superbowl. The America's Ballroom Challenge show is what got me off my duff ;-)
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

eh, you know what really counts, chacha.
    ;)
  20. alemana

alemana New Member