America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I was so happy for the couple who won the showdance. I loved them last year, but this year they were even better! My favorites were their tango and the tango that the couple did to "Rama Lama". And did I not see a shot of Larinda in the semi finals at the beginning of the show? I love her dress! Great show as usual... :p

2. ballroom4life

ballroom4life New Member

Yes, that tango was so innovative!

Speaking about seeing people, is it just me, or was Mary Murphy from So You Think You Can Dance one of the judges? I got a quick glimpse of her at the beginning.

Oh, and those kids were so freekin' good!

3. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

The kids were great! I didn't see Mary Murphy but I did tape the show. :) Will have to go back and look for her.

4. ballroom4life

ballroom4life New Member

Ya, I'm pretty sure it was her. It's at the very very beginning (before any of the dances start, I think). They don't even show her face, just her profile/back.

I know, it's pretty sad. I watched the same episodes of SYTYCD so many times that I can recognize Mary Murphy from the back.....:lol:

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok. Hello. I thought I saw Larinda too, and I was like no... that's not Larinda lol. But I did not recognize Mary Murphy lol. How funny!

And the kids. Good grief!!! Is that my future competition?? I have a loooooooooooooooong ways to go lol. ;)

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Agree on the showdance winners...that was such a creative and athletic number! And the kids were amazing, too. Unbelievable that an 11-year old girl can move like that!

7. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Yeah, that was Larinda at the beginning. I recognized the dress before I recognized her--it's the same one she wore to Nashville StarZ! (Check my album for pics.) Larinda, you looked awesome as always!

8. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I enjoyed the dancing and all. But I really wanted a knob that would turn those two off during the showdances. I mean really, did they somehow feel the dancers couldn't communicate on their own? For me they were nothing but a distraction. I can't remember the last time I yelled at the TV!

Hey ABC Ballroom if you're listening - find the switch and shut those two off for the the rest of the show dances!

9. White Chacha

Thank you for the HD presentation. It was awesome to watch the show that way!!

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

But how else would I have known that Ben and Shalene's showcase was a "social foxtrot" if I didn't have Tony to tell me!:rolleyes:
    And I never liked smooth (sarcasm!!!), but now that Marilu has made it clear to me that it's similar to Broadway, well, I'm a fan now! Thanks Marilu!!!:rolleyes:

But wow, amazing stuff tonight!!

11. White Chacha

Of the show dances, the martial arts tango was definitely my fave.

And here's to social foxtrot in 3 ;-)

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Saw the first show this evening, American Smooth Finals.

The coverage of the group competition was ok, yet tough to watch the whole floor when the camera isn't on the whole floor. Not sure there is way to change this either.

The commentators were disappointing. I would have turned the sound down, except then I'd miss the music.

The show dances were very impressive. I very much liked the traditional style of the couple who placed third in the show dance, yet won over all. And the couple who used an infusion of martial arts into their tango was very interesting and powerful.

I also liked the pair of tweny(?) year olds doing a samba. I'm not a samba fan, yet they seemed super. And a neat jive number by another young couple, liked the yellow dress, and the guy's outfit, too.

13. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

OMG both those tango's AMAZING.

Ben and Shalene's dance.. Mary lou said it best "This is how we all dance with our partner in our dreams" and I was irritated they cut out what she did with his number. I thought it was really sad, I ran competitively for 15 years and it was sad last time I crossed the line, so I can imagine how they felt walking off the floor for the last time. For PBS to cut that off was a slap in the face.

And those kids... was that legal to watch?! dear God!

14. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

We came in from the Y all set to watch and our vcr didn't record the show for some reason.
    Gotta see the tango to Rama Lama.
    Does anyone know if these shows will be repeated at some time?

15. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Are Ben and Shalene retiring from competition for real? I keep hearing that they are, but at the same time I also keep hearing that they are going to leave smooth to compete in standard again. Will have to watch the tape again to see a little of what you are talking about with his number. (good thing I taped it, because I missed alot of things going on!)

16. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I know that in our area we have two pbs channels and it is being repeated on Saturday night and comes on the other pbs channel on Monday night. So surely it will come on again in your area too.

17. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Ben and Shalene HAVE retired from pro competition--OSB was their last pro comp. Of course they've continued to compete with their students and will still do Pro/Am for a while, and several of their students do Standard, so maybe that's where you got the Standard bit from, anp.

18. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

The PBS ABC page has a local listings link. I think this episode repeats a couple of times over the weekend.

I agree with everyone who's ripping on Marilu and Tony. I'm sure they're not saying anything that dancers don't already know, but they're not even offering anything useful for non-dancers. And if I have to hear any more of Tony's Slingblade-esque "mmm-hmms" every time some hot babe arches her back, I'm going to scream.

19. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

How come no one mentioned the two kids? How adorable and most importantly, AMAZING TALENT! I was blown away by their maturity in portraying the character of samba and the refinement of their technique. They could even do the samba "ticks" in their bodies and their samba definitely had that essential pulsing action to it that you don't even see in many adult dancers.

20. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

What did you think I was reffering to? I think we were all impressed by those kids.