America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, I like it when the hosts explain things because I was watching the program with a person that doesn't dance tonight. I didn't have to explain everything to them, because they understood what everything meant. Oh except when they said something about being an isolated dancer or something like that? I'm not sure what the hosts meant lol, so I couldn't really explain what they were saying then. ;)

2. RogueIT

RogueIT New Member

Does anyone know the name of the song that Tomasz Mielnicki and J.T. Damalas danced to? I thought they were the best but I don't know much about dance.

3. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

samba for kids?

So what about that? I like to think of myself as fairly easygoing on most things. But I really wonder about pimping out/tarting up 6 year olds and having them portray overtly sexual dance... But maybe this is a separate thread?

They were certainly amazing though, no doubt about it.

4. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Overall great show -- so exciting to see such ballroom on television! Anyone else think it was weird that they started the show with Micheal Mead and Toni Redpath and never mentioned who they were or why they were dancing?

Also, I really wish the commentators would actually critique the dancing instead of telling us all that it is fabulous over and over again. I can see its fabulous! So, if you aren't going to give me to insight as to what makes couple A better than couple B, then I'd rather just watch the dancing. Still, can't wait 'til next week! :)

5. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Another vote here for the martial arts tango! :cheers: :artsy: :rocker: :mrgreen:

And in general, the utterly VACUOUS jabbering of the 2 hosts notwithstanding, I really enjoyed this first installment of ABC!!! It's so cool to see the dancers getting creative and trying some unusual things with standard dances, huge kudos to ALL of them. Not sure I was too crazy about that Goth tango (good Gawd, that makeup was FRIGHTENING!) but definitely give it points for being unique!

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I too thought it was strange that they opened the show with Michael and Toni. Why showcase former U.S. Smooth Champions right before the Smooth competition?

7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

They were talking about isolations in the body. Some say dancing is all about isolations - restricting movement to one part of the body at a time.

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I also thought that about the Goth Tango lol. But I also thought that maybe that kind of dancing has helped the young ones join Ballroom. ;) The only showcase that I was disappointed in was the first couple. I loved the song, but I just didn't get the choreography. But maybe I was missing something lol? I would have choreographed that song differently though, but that's just me. ;)

Oh and had to edit to say that it was amazing to see that the less tricks they did, the better scoring they got (it seemed to me anyways). We've had many conversations about this, and I'm beginning to understand why. I liked watching the clean showcases better than the ones that were to this way or that way.

9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one that did not like the martial arts tango. I didn't think it was all that innovative considering Max and Yulia were dancing a martial arts flavored number last year.

10. Pam

Pam New Member

I thought that the originality of both the martial arts tango and the Rama lama bang bang tango was wonderful and kept thinking to myself "where did these ideas come from they are so creative?"

Loved em both!
    :)

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ok, so they have learned well, yet some how I don't enjoy watching young children present themselves in this way. Perhaps it could be an adult pushing them, and I'm not in favor of this.

12. DancePoet

Welcome to Dance-Forums!

Don't know the answer, yet maybe someone here can help?

Hope to see you around on our site. :D

13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

where's the smooth?

I kind of liked it. The one I didn't get at all was the cowboy dance. I couldn't figure out what smooth dance(s) were being incorporated. I think the judges were confused as well.

14. DancePoet

There was some writing imposed over the picture at the bottom, but only briefly. No other explanation was kind of unusual.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

16. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

Yeah, the cowboy dance was not impressive. I'm not sure why they earned second place for it.

17. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

The cowboy dance was confusing, and totally inappropriate for a smooth showdance...could have worked for standard since it did incorporate some quickstep, but other than that, I was confused...

And the Michael Mead/Toni Redpath exhibition should have had some explanation...another place where I was massively confused.

The martial arts tango wasn't as original as the announcers made it out to be. It's new to see a smooth couple doing it, but as previously said, Max and Yulia did a martial arts routine last year, and having seen that one myself at Heritage, I have to say, I prefer theirs.

And maybe I'm biased, but I just really loved Ben and Shalene's showdance. It was simple but so packed with emotion, you can really tell they're just nuts about each other. I think they should have been scored higher than 3rd...or at least higher than the cowboy dance...

18. carmello

carmello New Member

I don't know, but production value is minimal at best especially compared to
    Dancing With The Stars. During the solos it looked like a couple on a football field. No ambiance. The colors seemed washed out, the staging was nothing more than what we get on our videos from Front Row Productions cold and stark.
    I guess the faces in the crowd applauding is supposed to enhance the atmosphere. As far as the dancing is concernd, it is wonderful, but the production of the show, including camera work, staging, commentary, excitement value, was Ho Hum at best.

I know we are all excited because its our "thing", but this show is not just for us. It is suppose to spread the word and attract people to the business, Dancing with the Stars has accomplished this with nothing more than pro/am studio showcases, but with fabulous production, great costuming, personal interest, an intimate and warm/exciting atmosphere, and somtimes lousey music. Its the format and presentation that makes it attractive to over 20 million people per show.

19. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

Before we all start debating the exploitation of the kids, look at gymnastics, there's a kid in my gym that started when he was 18 months old!! Point is there's far worse things going on. My comment was more meant as joke, esp for those that know where I live now .. VA.. yes yes northern boy in the south ugh.

I did love however, when the announcers were chatting way too much as usual, and their like ohh the kids are so cute and he busts out with chest inflections and they both shut right up, I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

20. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

Well said, Carmello.