America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. victordancer

victordancer New Member

I believe that they got the idea from SYTYCD. The group did a "zombie" dance to the music and had that sort of Goth look.
  2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Count me one confused Owl too, it seemed they couldn't decide between Samba and Quickstep to they looked like they were trying to have it both ways. I would say that the cowboy one was the one dance that really left me unimpressed.

Even though the Goth tango wasn't my thing, it STILL had a definite character, personality and it was really well done on all fronts, which is far more than could be said for the cowboy one.
  3. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

The site says that Winson and Anna are 12 and 13 years old.

Great dancing last night! The Ermises looked incredible. But yes, I wish Marilu and Tony (esp Tony- he's a judge for crying out loud!) to either say something useful or not say anything.
  4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I guess I'd like to think that the dancing on this PBS show stands better on it's own and doesn't require the use of quick cuts and other production trickery to make it seem like more than it actually is.

The color where I was had no hint of being washed out. Perhaps your PBS station was having a bad transmitter day?

Oh, and ABC Ballroom was right about the high-def; there was a close up of one of the ladies and you could tell exactly how hard she had been working by the perspiration running down her forehead!
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

I sort of agree with the argument that the packaging of the reality show DWTS might have a better chance/has had better luck at snagging average-joe viewers. However, the production values, as i understand that term, were absolutely risible on DWTS. Camera work, editing, music, MC'ing... all of it. Atrocious.
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I'll chime in saying I also prefer the production for ABC over DWTS. The DWTS production is just TOOOOO much. I'd like to think it's an attempt to cover things up, but I really think it's because they don't know what they're doing (kind of like why they think swing and hustle songs should be used for samba.)
  7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

As for the kids, I thought they were cute and it was a fun routine. I didn't find it overly sexual at all, and I get squicked out pretty easy. (My personal pet peeve is watching teenage girls doing latin/rhythm pro-am and getting lusty looks from 25,30,40+ year old men.) I thought she had a tasteful outfit, and her makeup wasn't too overdone (for ballroom!) And even though they had great technique with moves that would be sexual in adults, they weren't portraying them in a sexy samba way, more in a fun samba way.
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I agree with wooh.

I also watching the Saturday day competition live at OSB, and saw Winston-Anna dance several rounds. I did not find them even borderline "tarty."
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Honestly, I didn't think they looked "sexual" in their appearance, but they sure danced like adults...even the facial expressions on that little girl (in the pink dress) were absolutely incredible. She seemed like an adult in a small body. I was grateful they didn't expose more with her outfit. *That* I have a problem with.
  10. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

I also thought that their costumes were age-appropriate - not too flashy or 'fleshy'. I may be a little concerned if they had chosen to showcase a rumba because it is essentially a sensual and passionate style. Samba's more upbeat and festive so I think kids look great doing samba, especially those who are as talented as Winston-Anna.
  11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh... I see. I'm sure I've heard of that before, but the question stumped me lol! Thanks for answering it. ;)
  12. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

What did she do with his number?

What was it? What did she do?
  13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I just watched the show. Loved it! Lotsa thoughts:

I thought the production values were fine. It looked a lot like a skating competition. The camera work was tons better than on DWTS or SYTYCD.

The commentary didn't bother me as much as it did some people. It was kind of inane, but pretty much ignorable. I did wonder a bit about how it was done. I'm assuming they had more than one camera in the ballroom. But since it's not televised live, I'm also assuming the show was put together after the fact. In that case, the commentary during the dancing had to be done after the final cut was put together, so they could talk about whichever couple was on the screen. In that case, it could have been a bit more informative, with some preparation, although I realize they want to make it sound impromptu.

The producers have obviously made a decision that all the commentary should be gushy and isn't-it-all-wonderful. I guess they think that will make the audience more enthusiastic. But I wonder if that confuses non-dancers, because it gives no clue why one couple would place better than another. Thinking of skating again, I'd LOVE to see slow-motion replays with a little technical commentary. It wouldn't necessarily have to focus on the mistakes, like skating does, but could explain why that perfect feather step is perfect! People seem to like the "what-to-look-for-in this-dance" clips on the commercial shows.

Compared to some things I've seen at comps, the kids' costumes and performances were pretty tasteful. I get creeped out pretty easily, too, and these didn't bother me (partly because the kids were a bit older, it's the tarted-up 8-year olds that really turn my stomach.)

In the past, when the show wasn't being televised at OSB, did all the finalists also enter showdance? That's certainly hasn't been the case at comps I've attended. So that set-up is just for the show?

I sure didn't understand the showdance placings. I wasn't that impressed with the martial arts routine. I was distracted by the fact that the fake sparring looked so fake. Those movements mostly looked unfinished to me.

And the cowboy number! I think they had an idea for it that just wasn't coming across at all. Since she wasn't dressed like a cowboy, was it something about mismatched couples or opposites attract? I got that impression from some of the lyrics, but I couldn't hear them too well. And if they'd been in a country competition, they'd have got a loss-of-hat penalty! I couldn't believe they placed better than the Ermises, though at most comps I've been to, I've noticed that it is very hard for a slower, more emotional showdance to place well.

And I thought the goth routine deserved better. I'm a bit prejudiced in favor of JT, because I know her very slightly, though I agreed with their placing in the regular heats. But I thought the quality of the showdance was very good. I think maybe the look was distracting if you didn't like it.

All in all, great show! Can't wait for next week!
  14. carmello

carmello New Member

Now your talking. Your already a better producer than that show has. That's a definite upgrade on production. There is no real talent to have a fairly wide view of the floor and following a couple around, and no real excitement. The talent comes in making it interesting and exciting for as many people as possible. Not just the hard core Ballroom dancer who is basically interested in seeing the entire couple all of the time.

Even If this show is on PBS, they are looking for ratings. The ratings bring sponsors, and sponsors bring money. Remember over 20 million people watch each DWTS show. So if the camera work sucks, and the music sucks, and the stars dancing sucks for the most part then it must be in the total production. Thats the trick! The packaging, the smaltz, the look.

On the other hand The Challenge, according to some has better production, better camera work, definitly better music and a ton better dancing, but couldn't get funding for 3 years, is on PBS, not ABC, and probably around a million viewers. Little if any publicity or reaction by the new media in general. Kind of like a non event. By the way Tony Meridith.......

Don't get me wrong, I am a purest, and I love The Challenge. I love to see people I know, and even see myself once in a while. It's kind of like watching a really good home movie, but the reality is, is that it is not doing for Ballroom Bancing what DWTS is doing. The tour group is getting 8-12 thousand cheering enthusiastic people each night. Just go to You Tube and hear the reaction. The American Broadcasting Company (ABC) forum has 15,000 entries and more than 2 million viewers to the DWTS string. It's the best thing that ever happened to the thing we love - Ballroom Dancing.
  15. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I cant figure out how the quote thing works but Brush Tap asked-"What was it? What did she do?"
    If I remember correctly- since this was their retirement dance, she symbolically removed his number from his tail suit and tucked it into his pocket and at the end of the dance I think she removed it from his pocket and let it drift to the floor.
  16. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Don't they dance again in the final show, when all the styles dance against one another? Maybe that's when it happened.
  17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I just got around to watching the production (though I did see it live back in November). I enjoyed it!

I thought the production values compared favorably to DWTS.
    -I loved the opening montage!
    -If I am not mistaken, we got to see a shot of DF's own Larinda McRaven, which is of course worth SEVERAL production value bonus points! ;)
    -The competition music was appropriate to the dances being danced.
    -The caliber of the dancing was terrific.
    -The camera work did a nice job switching between long-range shots which allow you to see the dancing and close-ups which allow you to see facial expressions.
    -There were some lighting effects, e.g., the red and yellow lights in Ben and Shalene's number.
    "
    I agree that the commentary could have been more incisive, but think about the DWTS commentary. (And don't get me wrong...I love DWTS. Just not for the commentary.)

I do not think there is any way this could get the kind of audiences that you get for a show on ABC, even if it were very slickly packaged. This is PBS, a network with a predominantly older, upper-middle class, educated audience. The people seeing the promos for this program will be regular PBS viewers.

According to an article I read on the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's site:
    PBS...viewers are 44 percent more likely than the average Joe to have a household income over $150,000; 39 percent more likely to have a graduate degree; and 177 percent more likely to have investments of $150,000 and up."

That being said, I'm a college prof, and for what this anecdotal evidence is worth, two of my thirteen honors kids (both of whom dance, but not ballroom) reported having seen the program last night. While they made a less-than-complimentary comment about the costumes, they did seem to enjoy the dancing!

ChaChaMama
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I didn't catch that. Thank you for the information! How sweet and sad at the same time.

Oh welcome to the board by the way. ;)
  20. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I remember watching all of the Individual Show dances that night and I'm pretty sure thats when it happened. Maybe PBS is saving the actual dance for the final show when they compare all of the styles.

BTW-
    Thanks for the welcome Spratt :)