America's Ballroom Challenge - Coming to TV

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Nov 18, 2006.

1. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I had my 2 seconds of fame!!!!!

2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Ah, yes, the DWTS commentary wins the inane contest there. But think now of the commentary on the 1-hour shows done at the 2005 IDSF World comps. These were three hours, one each for latin, standard, and 10-dance. They had world class commentators like Michael Barr, Alison Fuller, and Bryan Watson.

The shows had a good dose of the kind of human interest closeups often seen in Olympics coverage. The commentators discussed particulars of what the different couples did well, and not so well.

I don't understand why the commentary on the PBS show is so dumbed down. It's so frustrating. I found it really hard to just ignore it during the show dances. I felt they managed to consistently ruin the mood.

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You know, it might have been nice, too, if they did a little comparison between the American and International dances...for the non-dancing people who can't figure out why there are two sets of (some of) the same dances. You know, have a little demo showing the differences....

4. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

As the song ended (end of their show dance) she took his number out of his jacket and it trailed off onto the floor as they walked off. Look just to the left of the screen you can see it just out of frame.

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Well, they did point out that American Smooth is like Broadway, mmmm hmmmmm. What more do you need to know?:D

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<ggg>

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

'splain, chica... did i miss this... did they show you on the screen at some point? lemme know so i can look for you when i watch.

:D

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Yes, my partner kept rewinding and playint it over and over again. IT was in the beginning (before the show starts), when they are showing different styles. Right after they spot Karen's face (Pro rhythm), I'm on a black dress. It was a close-up of a move I do in Cha facing front.

I imagine they will use the same clip for every episode.... so my 2 seconds may become 10!!!

Anyways, I loved the show and agree with many of you that I would like more informative comments than "very nice". It will help everyone to understand the placements, specially for the showdances. I didnt enjoy the cowboy number and was expecting more from the karate showdance but loved the Rama Lama... plus why a smooth couple will decide to do a quickstep for showdance. Isn't suppose to be one of the dances they are trying to master and be representative of?

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll be sure to check it out this weekend... will probly get to watch it on tivo...

how fun! :)

10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

In my area, they are already scheduled to repeat the first episode tonight and tomorrow.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I totally agree. I am always telling people about the IDSF telecasts and how interesting the commentary is. It is on such a high level that we all learn what the judges can see and are looking for, and I love the close-up stories. I so wish they would go in that direction. I have seen Gary McDonald do some commentary on TV when IMG was televising dancesport events (I guess that died out), and he was pretty decent, pointed out couples who lost their energy toward the end, or missed connection, etc. Plus he has a nice dry sense of irony. I would nominate him. Aida simply has to do better.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah but i would prefer someone with less investment in the current scene. i guess that's the dilemma, though isn't it?

13. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Absolutely 100% agree. I recall watching the IDSF World Cup 2005 on PBS last year and the commentators were Bryan Watson and Karen Hardy. There was also one other guy who was also hosting the program but his role was more of someone introducing the couples and asking questions to Bryan and Karen on behalf of some audience who may not be very knowledgeable in dancesport. I thought the commentary was on point, insightful, and informative for both the beginner and advanced audience.

I found myself getting increasingly annoyed by the inane commentary on the American Ballroom Challenge esp when Tony goes "ooooo......" or "wooooh".........and Marilu almost always starts off with "I love that......[add gushing adjective].." -_- I wish they could really broaden up the discussion by maybe talking about a) there are amateur and professional groups and the differences b) Blackpool is like the "Olympics" of dancesport c) IDSF Grand Slam and WDDSC Professional World Championships d) technical aspects of dancing and not be afraid to throw out more technical terminology used in dancesport. For example, in figure skating, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming have no qualms about describing triple salchows, triple flips, loops, inside edge, outside edge, etc. While some may argue that this may throw some people off but I think that people tuning in to watch PBS would actually appreciate being educated about dancesport.

14. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I think throwing in some technical terminology would be great. Dancers and non-dancers alike like to be able to discern the good from the bad and to be able to talk about it with friends/other viewers. I think it would allow the audience to feel more involved with what they see and be able to talk about it. More talking= more people want to watch= higher ratings.

15. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

For those DFers in the Boston area who missed it the other night (like me) there is a re-broadcast tonight at 9pm on WGBH (channel 2 for most).

16. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

No dice. The online tvguide was wrong.

17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Just watched it again. It occurred to me that I'm not sure that even the technical terminology Tony used was comprehensible to non-dancers. To suddenly announce "contracheck!" or to say that "they have some jive action going" isn't really helpful to anyone who doesn't know what those words mean. Just a little more info, like "Those fast kicks really show their jive action" would be more informative.

Random thought: If you've had any doubts about tanning, take a look at what the ballroom lights do to Marilu Henner shen she walks out onto the floor at the beginning. And it's not just the pastiness, but the fact that the lights wash out any contours on the skin, so a pale person looks one-dimensional. (And I speak as someone who loves her pale skin and resisted the idea of tanning.) OTOH, Tony was a lot less tanned than last year and looked a lot better under the studio lights.

18. alemana

alemana New Member

you're spot on with those thoughts about the "commentary," waltzgirl. i try to be generous about it and hope that he will learn with time...but since there isn't really a culture of dance criticism in the ballroom community in this country, i suppose that's mostly wishful thinking.

19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I have two thoughts on the commentary -

I think the emcees should watch the footage twice. Off camera the first time, allow for time to formulate their thoughts, and then again with the film running. They will seem much more polished and the commentary will be much more informative. I realize it is too late for this round of shows but hopefully someone will read this....

The second thing is how surprising to me how stiff both of them looked. On the dance floor Tony has so much fluidity (I have always been a big fan of his) but when he was doing the show he seemed really uncomfortable. I can't really blame him either, I got the same impression from Ron Montez when he did the show. Same goes for Marilu and Barbara Eden. I felt that Juliette Prowse and Sandy Duncan seemed a lot more relaxed when they hosted the show.

Is it the camera angle? I dunno.

20. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Especially when they did that canned conversation about each other's backgound. That was painful!