America's Ballroom Challenge copying SYTYCD?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, considering that it's also gone the other way (there was a thread here about it when it happened, concerning Max K. & Yulia Z.'s "fringe pants" showdance), it seems par for the course.

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Besides the opening and end poses? I think it's more reminiscent of the Gekhman's robot routine.

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it's not even all that reminiscent of that, other than in concept.

Really, you could say putting robotic, jerky movements into a dance form normally known for greater fluidity goes back at least as far as "Coppelia," which dates back to 1870.

So I guess you could argue that everything is derivative, but I am more interested in how each choreographer/partnership puts a different flavor on an idea.

CCM

5. BM

BM New Member

Agreed. Perhaps not all, but an awful lot has been done in regards to "innovation" in dance. Good luck finding something completely original; on the other hand, a fresh spin on an older idea can be just as enjoyable.

6. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

sometimes innovation comes in the form of one guy. Think bryan watson, donnie burns or baryshnikov. These guys blow everyone away, and everyone spends the next 4 years catching up.