An Observation About Newbie WCS Follows.

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

It seems that when I dance with follows who are new at WCS the improvement rate is quicker then those for other dances; this is what I'm seeing anyway. It does seem to challenge the notion of WCS being a hard dance.
  2. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I believe, in the beginning at least, the difficulty of WCS is on the leader's part. ALthough I cannot compare it to other dances, as I only dance WCS
  3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I've always heard of WCS being harder in terms of becoming a talented/advanced dancer, not necessarily learning the basics.

But I'm also curious about these follows you speak of. I would fall in to that category and agree that I have had a very sharp learning curve and improved rapidly. Then again, I go out 3+ times a week and joined a practice group, take private and group class, and attend events, took a few years of ballet and modern dance, and had been learning the basics to quite a few other partner dances previously. All the time on the floor and knowledge of different aspects of dance helps immensely.

It doesn't seem like WCS is a non-dancers choose at thier first entry into partner dance. Most of the follows I know have some sort of background wether it was two years of ballet as a child or a few years learning to waltz.

The few follows I've run into who chose WCS with absolutely no dance background tend to struggle quite a bit and become very frustrated. You're unlikely to run into them on a social floor as they are to insecure to even go. Many times they take a month or two of classes and then give up.
  4. dTas

dTas New Member

once you get past the basic rhythm all the dances have about the same learning curve for the first few steps (1-6).

like any dance... you can follow anyone who has a good strong lead.

picking up the basic rhythm though can be tricky and the basic "rules" to WCS don't match the rules of other dances. when doing passes the arms are allowed to "wrap" around the body instead of maintaining a frame for example.

the rules aren't any harder than any other dance... they're just different.
  5. Spitfire

I don't think these ladies who go to the WCS dances had any prior dance training, but I may be wrong. Some of them are learning WCS along with ballroom. There is one young lady who's a Lindy crossover.
  6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm just guessing here, but I believe that "many" men deduce that dancing like this is very feminine, therefore, those men embark on their dance 'career' (for lack of a better term), with a "deflated masculinity" concern.

Women, of course, don't have this egocentric problem, and thus, are much more amenable to learning . . . and they do learn faster. Some, learn faster, some do not.

But this doesn't apply to everyone, and yes there are men who learn extremely quick. I personally know many guys who can be dancing adjacent to someone who does a pretty kewl new move, and with the very next attempt, that guy will have that move down pat.

One last thing . . . there are (probably) many more women (as evidenced by any venue) than men that dance . . . so any statistical assessment placed on any of these opinions, could be skewed one way or another, yes?
  7. dTas

dTas New Member

that is a very interesting way of putting it. i've never thought of it in that manner. i just thought men were lazy (well not entirelly but it sure seems that way) and do not view dancing as a priority (in putting food on the table, to think a little more primatively)

i've also found men to be much more analytical and detailed where women are more lyrical and "free spirited" thus allowing them to accept dance concepts easier than men who are trying to deconstruct and reconstruct their moves (thinking too much).

of course i have that problem with many of my female students (thinking too much that is).
  8. luh

luh Active Member

maybe it would be good to know compared to what. everything could be easy/hard. But it would be good to have a comparison. If you compare it for example to ecs, I'd definetly say it's hard, just because of the triple you have to do, and the changing start foot while you have neither a triple step nor a changing start foot in ecs.
    luh
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Actually you can have single step, double step and triple step in ECS. What many do depends on music tempo.
  10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

When I learned it myself, I had an extensive ballroom/latin background, and the different rules of WCS were hard to get. The arms, the connection, the sugar push/pull rubberband thing. Following it, basically, I wasn't "automatically" good at it.
    My students seemed to have difficulty because the first 6 stepa are all different, and sugar push footwork is harder that the basic in any other dance, I'd say. I disagree about the learning curve of the first 6 steps. The first six steps in any other american dance are easy, except maybe cha, but once you get the basic in cha, the rest are so similar. IN WCS, the first 6 are not that similar to each other!!
    :!:
    After you get the first six steps, then it starts to repeat, and become easier, I think.
  11. Spitfire

I'm comparing it to the other dances I do; Cha Cha, Rumba, ECS, NC2S when dancing with newbie follows. When I'm doing those dances that I just mentioned with someone who's only been dancing for say a month I don't see as fast an improvement level as I have when doing WCS with one who's been learning that dance for the same amount of time and these are not necessarily ladies who have had prior dance experience. And I'm just relating my own experience here; for others it may be different.
  12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that observation. Our WCS instructor likes to joke a bit with us by showing us the guy's step in a new move; it's almost always identical to what we normally do, either that or we just stand there and watch.

With your observation, I can be more supportive of my friend who's a salsera learning Lindy but really wants to learn WCS. She got a taste of it at a workshop and we'll be going to a WCS venue for the class and practice (WCS classes so far conflict with her salsa schedule).
  13. swing4life

swing4life New Member

Generally followers regardless of what dance learns and improves more quickly than leaders. However, is it possible that the newbie WCS followers are improving more quickly than the other dances is because they enjoy WCS more and is taking more effort to improve.