Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Hello again everyone! I was wondering if anyone had some good referals for getting you hair and makeup done. I have seen some latin girls come out looking absolutely fabulous and I wondered where they went. Is there anyone that does the whole shabang? Like feather and rhinestones on the hair or eyes and everythinf. I dont have too much creativity when it comes to that so I am desperate.
  2. ChelD

ChelD Member

I think they are all pretty good but I recommend Antoinette for creativity.
  3. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Does she travel for comps or is she only in a certain area? And does anyone know a price range to be all dolled up for a comp? I have NO idea
  4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

My favorites are Linda Doyle and Lisa Bentley. They travel to comps,so you can get your hair done the day you dance or the day before (they will make it immobile enough to sleep on). I haven't competed recently, but they used to charge $50 for hair and $50 for makeup--might be a little higher now, I don't know. You can check the comp's website. Usually, under Vendors, they will list who will be at that comp doing hair & make-up.
  5. Fouette

Fouette New Member

NYC Hair & Makeup also do a fantastic job - Boiko does the hair, and Ekaterina does the makeup. They charge $50 for each. I've only had my hair done by Boiko so far, and he's very easy-going. You have complete say in what you want; if you don't end up liking what he does, he'll change it for you. Great person to work with, hair ends up immobile and looks amazing! They travel to most big comps, and are generally listed under the vendors page.
  6. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Antoinette travels some, not sure how much. Haven't used her myself but friends have been pleased.
  7. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ah. I do my makeup myself and my hairdresser charges me very little (up to 25$ for elaborate hairstyles) and she does my hair at home, BUT I don't compete. That's what I do for showcases and events. Personally, I wouldn't be able to afford an extra 100$ for makeup/hair. But if one can afford it, I'm sure the results are great.

T_E
  8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I had my regular hairdresser do my hair for an event at my studio, but the problem was, she's too concerned about the health of my hair. She just wouldn't tease and spray it enough!
  9. yanka

yanka New Member

how horrible of her!

;)
  10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

They're my favorites too. They charge $55 now.
  11. tanya_the_dancer

I think she'll be at Colorado Starball, unless there is another stylist with the same first name.
  12. tanya_the_dancer

I do my own makeup, but use professional stylist at the competition, or at the hair salon I usually go to. In case of the latter, somehow I was able to impress on them that I do not my hair to move at all for the showcase, and they did a good job with the spray.
  13. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Anya Demidova started doing hair at competitions. She is very good. she can do super elaborate styles really fast.. and she can only get better... I would recommend her to people..

I still do my own :)
  14. Cal

Cal Active Member

Lisa and Linda have both done my hair before; also Nikki McClain has done my hair. I've been pleased with the results of all of them.
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

linda does my hair for standard and smooth...excellent...and nikki mcclain has done a very nice job on my hair for latin, including weaving in some extra long hair...she also does beautiful eyes....
  16. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

So if I know what I want, would I take a picture to them???
  17. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Why not? Sounds like a good idea to have a visual aid.

T_E
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Has anyone found a really good web site for ballroom competition hair? My hairdresser really wants (for fun) to come to the do my hair for the next local competition - but since she tends to get creative before actually asking I don't want to let her loose on it till she understands what is and what is not OK.

I can just see her doing a beehive, spiked hair, dreadlocks or something (I do standard....)
    :eek:
  19. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Hair styles for me is an absolute nightmare. I just do NOT look good in the traditional slicked back look.

I generally go to my regular hairdresser before a showcase. The first time she left it down, which was fine for a Samba. For the Rumba she did is up, but a little too "going to prom" look. Then for my first competition I used someone I was referred to that was working the comp.

She did my makeup fabulously, but my hair.... that's another story. I explained I thought I needed it to be half up, half down in back, needed height at the crown and light bangs. This is NOT what I go. Basically, pulled back in low pony tail, a little teasing at the crown, slicked back on sides and bangs pushed tightly to the side and plastered down.

I couldn't wait to wash my hair!!!

Now, I'm not sure what to do next. I envy you women who have the bone structure to pull off the traditional look!!!
  20. tanya_the_dancer

I had a crappy hairdo once. That was the only time when I showed the stylist pictures of a hairdo I had at a different competition and asked to replicate that. He did not do a good job. One other time same person didn't do a good job either, it looked OK, but didn't hold up.