Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I can't wear a slicked-back style either. I had a similar experience to yours, which is why I won't go to just whoever is at the comp. If my favorite stylists aren't at a comp, I use a hairpiece and do it myself.

But I'd recommend going with bangs to the side and plastered. Bangs across most or all of the forehead close in the face and bangs bouncing when you move present a distraction to those watching you.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I had a stylist once decide NOT to do mine slicked back and it was a nightmare....it started to look like a bad fifties beehive...the comp organizer even told me not to go back to her...nice woman but, end of story...I gotta have it flat to my head...additionally with pro being not much taller than me it is not good for my hair to add another two inches to my height
  3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

So, what do you do if the stylist at the competition is someone with whom it did not work out all that great? If it is not a large comp, there might not be another choice. What's the backup plan then?
  4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

My back-up plan is a hairpiece. I can do a decent job on the front and sides, then just put the back in a little pony tail and slap the hairpiece on.

If your local drugstore or beauty supply doesn't carry the right color, there's an online place that you can send a lock of your hair to and they will match it. I can't remember the name now, but I'll look for it and post it later.
  5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I'm just going to hijack this thread for a moment.

On the other currently active makupe thread (eyes) I was thinking it would be really nice to have a set of pictures of makup or hair styles - that is closeups of our faces. So, to stick my neck out (so to speak!!) I uploaded one of me at a competition two days ago. If you want to get into this - it would be neat to have a set of faces for people to browse through - then please add a close up pic of yourself and when you do so include the word 'face' in the search word list so that we can find them. Best to also include a second word also such as 'hair' or 'makeup'.

Hope this is a good idea!!
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Has anyone used MAC's mineral satin finish foundation? Did you like it? How was the wear, for either everyday or when dancing? Thank you.
  7. sprifty

sprifty New Member

This probably isn't the same place you are talking about but I just wanted to say I had a great experience ordering a hair piece from Kim Shokes. She owns an online store called Kim's Classics that sells hair pieces for beauty pagents (her email is pageantgirlzmom at aol.com). At midnight 3 days before my comp I emailed her because I needed a hairpiece after I found out another site I ordered from wasn't going to be able to send it until a month after my competition. Not only did she respond within 5 minutes of me sending the email, she also old charged me $6 for overnight shipping, answered all of my questions, sent me a color chart AND offered that I send her a photo of my hair and she could match it if I wasn't sure.
  8. Bella

Bella New Member

Ou! I have a question... Which kind of eye highlighters do you ladies use? I bought MAC and Badgirl ones and I like them so far....
  9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I cannot find the Kim's Classics website through Google. Is she still in business?
  10. sprifty

sprifty New Member

Oops sorry. It's apparently Kimi's Classics. The website is freewebs.com/pageantgirlzmom/kimisclassics.htm

I just emailed her a few days ago so yes, she is still in business.
  11. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

kat and kitty both did my hair before and came out nice! I also had Linda Doyle did my hair once, and very pleased. At some local comps, I use my regular hairdresser near home to do it. At other comps requires air travel, I also have 2 other pro lady friends help me in case kat or kitty not available.

I always do my own make up, really love make up, also help others before and quite pleased with the results. I'm particular with makeups, since I have acne prone skin, I carefully exam all makeup products I buy, even reading the ingredients chart, spending time seaching for good comp makeup brushes, etc. testing colors of eyeshadow in sephora for hours, etc. lol...
  12. gracie

gracie Active Member

At Grand Nationals, Daniel Wilson was doing hair. Some of Michael's students said she will be doing it at Heritage. I see Lisa Vogel is doing hair at Carribean Dancesport. More choices than in past years.
  13. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

wigshop.com sells LOTS of hair pieces. both of the ones i used for latin were Paula Young... I don't remember whether I bought them off of the Paula Young site or wigshop.
  14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

OK, so what's the trick to this type of 'do?:
    Wax? Gel? Hairspray? Spray starch? All of the above?

[​IMG]
  15. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

at 2007 blackpool, one Italian hairdresser did my hair similar to like your picture above, it was very time-consuming since the hairdresser has to pick out each section of my hair to put on gel and curl them and pin them to the right place, I was sitting there for miserable one and half hour, there were 2 of them both doing my hair, they used a lot of hair gel and sprays. So the hair are so strong won't fall apart, plus they glued some SW stones to my hair.

It was even more miserable for me to undo the hair, it was so painful to comb my hair to remove the excessive gel and the glues for rhinestones are royal pain on the neck to remove the glues for rhine stones. It takes me another 2 full hours to remove the gel, glue, wash my hair that day.

I personal prefer simple nice hair style, ever since that time, I would try to avoid such elaborate style as much as possible.
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I can definitely see how that's interesting, but the recovery afterwards sounds miserable. I know a few comps ago friend was talking about that, she had somewhat similar work and hair goop, and slept on it overnight, and stuff STILL didn't move. :) she was saying she had no idea how she'd get the crap all out.
  17. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I had my hair done for Empire, and it has a bit of this, though not nearly so much. I slept in it two nights in a row...just could not bring myself to tackle taking it out...and it never budged. Lol.
  18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Frankly, washing goo out of my hair is a lot more appealing then trying to undo teasing. I've had my long hair teased maybe a handful of times, and the recovery was miserable.
  19. TAK

TAK Member

I have slept on comp hair too. The funny thing is that if it's not solid enough that I could sleep on it, it WILL fall apart during the competition...haha.
  20. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Wow! Boxes of Gel, Wax, and Hairspray I guess...... That's not my taste though.