Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a bit OTT, but a few textured pieces might look nice.

2. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Looks 'Medusa' style.....:confused:

3. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Bumble and bumble hairspray brushes out easily, or even better dissolves in warm water. I have done a similar hairstyle with hairspray only, and it brushed it out after comp to a more normal look.

4. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Never seen anyone in a short hair style at standard competitions. Is it not allowed? :)

5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Hazel Newberry had short hair when she danced with Christopher Hawkins:) I think Alessandra had short hair when she and William Pino turned pro. One of our coaches said she kept her hair short when she danced with her last partner...in standard of course. So its been done.

6. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

ahh i SO agree- not only is teasing my hair a complete nightmare...but getting it out after is a whole other story!

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if it’s best place to post this question – does anyone know how much time does Boyko spent on doing standard hair? He can finish within one hour, half an hour? I booked him at noon for OSB while our heat is 2:40 in the afternoon, he can’t do any earlier since he said morning is crazy schedule for him. Hope he could finish within one hour so I still have some time for makeup and warmup?

I heard others saying he’s good, but never asked around how fast he could finish standard hair.

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

he willl not spend more than an hour

9. bowman500

bowman500 Member

Standarddancer,

He's Fabulous and fast,,,,,my daughter's favorite!!!!

10. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

At Empire, he spent about 30-35 minutes doing my hair for smooth. Definitely not more than 40 minutes. And I have long hair...

He's great. I have an appt. with him as well!

11. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I usually take all the pins out and then let the hot water and shampoo do the rest. If your hair is stoned the drain screen will catch any stones and they won't go down the drain.

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Yup, I've been told not to attempt to detangle or comb before washing. Or just wet it and condition the bejeebus out of it, and eventually you'll be able to comb through the mess. *flashbacks of detangling 80s Prom Hair :shock:*

Can those of you having your hair done try to remember to take pics of it? Action shots from the comp sometimes don't show enough detail.

13. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

and123, I have some pics of my hair from Empire on my phone. They're not ideal because they're on a phone, but I'd be happy to show you, if you can remind, the next time we're both at the studio.

14. mad123

mad123 Member

Michelle Tate usually wears her hair short (Pro Standard). She just slicks it back. Or at least that is what I've seen her do recently. It looks quite nice.

15. mad123

mad123 Member

Speaking of beehives, did anyone else notice the abundance of what I can only describe as the upward cone bun at OSB? I saw quite a few on the floor for pro Latin but my guess is they appeared elsewhere too. If it is a new, popular look, I'm not sure I can get on board! :(

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

while I no longer wear my hair quite as slicked back...and prefer a higher up-do these days...i don't care for that cone on the top of the head look...heidi klum is wearing it on project runway this season and it doesn't even look good on her

17. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I'm not a fan either. Don't mind a high bun...but really don't like the tall cone. I don't get the point.

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my instructor's partner taught me to use conditioner to smooth one's hair when doing it up for a comp. then i put wax & spray on top of that. but with the conditioner already in the hair, it really does a nice job protecting it, and makes it easy to untangle when you shower up.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I received a lot of Clinique makeup products for Christmas. And, I also bought several Revlon, Neutrogena and L'Oreal makeup products in November and December.

I recently did a makeup purge of old products, to make room for the new products. To keep track of it, I'm putting wherever possible a date on the product with a Sharpie marker. That way I'll know how old a product is the next time I do a makeup purge.

Products like mascara and powder I use up long before I would need to throw them away. But other products like eyeshadow, blush and lipstick can hang around a long time, and I have no idea how old they really are. Really old products can't be all that sanitary.