Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. AMeader

AMeader New Member

That's a great idea, I should start doing that too!
  2. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Do you just do a leave-in conditioner in the shower? Or you apply it as you go to smooth the hair out while doing it up?
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

while doing it up! <<thinking back to the sequence when i've use that technique...>>

• put a bit of hair conditioner in to make it smooth
    • arrange hair however you want it, and secure it. the conditioner helps avoid the battle over loose strands.
    • i then always use a wax at that point for bits that need more smoothage, especially along the nape and the top.
    • then a few layers of the freeze-style hair spray, blow-drying in-between layers.
    • done! :)
  4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Thanks, sam. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Even after years of practice, I always struggle with my hair.
  5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I'll give that a try as well! I hate doing hair even more than I hate doing makeup :)
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

more than anything, at my first few comps it was the hair (even more than the dancing) that stressed me out the most. funny, that... but i wasn't sure i'd know how to make myself *not* look like a ballroom buffoon. :tongue:

so i can understand how even after so long, it could still be an issue.

but i learned this trick from my primary instructor's partner, and her hair is always so silky & healthy. this was apparently her secret way of protecting it despite so much H&H (handling & hairspray)! :)
  7. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Sam, I just tried it this morning for my MAC hair. I straightened it (mine is pretty fine, curly hair), put a decent amount of conditioner in it, put in a high pony, twisted, secured with only maybe 5-6 pins and made a poof in front; then sprayed ... It took me 20 minutes to do my hair (plus 20 minutes for straightening)! It was awesome. Thanks so much for the conditioner tip.

I bet washing it out tonight will be a cinch with all that conditioner already in my hair!!;)
  8. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Did you use hair jel before the conditioner?
  9. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

This is really interesting and I may have to try it. So you just slather in the conditioner before trying to put your hair up? Any type of conditioner or does it not matter? Probably I should not use my Herbal Essences conditioner which is blue... ;)
  10. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm reviving this thread because I have to do my own hair for my comp in January for rhythm on Thursday morning. Then the only time the lady could get me in was Thursday afternoon and that style will have to last through smooth on Friday morning and standard on Sat morning. Has anyone ever had to leave their hair up for that long? I'm not too worried about it falling out (I can piece a few pieces back together here and there) but I'm worried that it will start to look dull and dirty.

Any advice? I've never done my own hair for a comp and I've never had to leave it up more than one overnight sleep session. The conditioner idea is a good one, especially since I'll have to have my hair done like that twice in one day.
  11. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I have used the dry shampoo on mine before (the parts that are suppose to be smooth) and then resprayed. This has helped, but I have really fine hair that does A LOT better when it is clean.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've been successful at leaving my hair up overnight, but not two nights. Perhaps the stylist could see you for a quick touch up on Sat morning and just respray and pin loose ends?
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You can do it. Get a nice satin pillow case to sleep on, a can of Schwartzkof spray and you will be fine.
  14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The longest I kept my updo was for 3 nights. Silk pillowcase is your friend. Just add spray as needed and you'll be fine.

On a side note, I've just read Dance Beat OSB reviews and whoever wrote amateur standard review made an overall remark that in general hair and makeup were not good enough for their level, and people should have used hair and makeup services at the competition instead of DIY jobs.
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Good thing I'm not competing at OSB. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure my hair will work out fine, now that I know it's been done before. My DIY job Thursday morning will be my biggest stressor, but as rhythm is my weakest category anyway, I'm not going to freak out about my ponytail not being perfectly smooth. I'll do my best, but I'm just not going to put myself into a tizzy over it. As far as my makeup, I take great pride in doing my own makeup, and it looks great. I have people wanting me to do their makeup. So I'm comfortable there. The hair is another story lol
  16. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Ditto what others have said. I've left my hair in for two nights, sleeping on a satin pillowcase. Just respray the hairspray every day. By the third day I was definitely ready to take it out, but it looked fine. I even had a massage and sat in the sauna with it in and it was fine.
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have left the hair in for that long as well...even without fancy pillowcase...feels gross, but do-able
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

egads, in the sauna? Yeesh, ballroom hair, ya' gotta luv it. ;)
  19. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

So I checked out that blog, but there wasn't any detail on what was wrong with the hair? Or that the blogger disliked? Anyone at OSB agree on the hair thing? (obv, i was not there). I usually go simple, with a basic bun that's been shellacked to death, but i was thinking about doing something a bit more fancy, with the twisty hair pieces that seem to be all the rage.. Not that one random blogger will make the decision for me, but interested in the opinions...
  20. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Hi:)
    Do you know how to get this this shinny, "wet hair" look? Like in this video.
    What product(s) can you recommend?