Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I read this in the hard copy of dance beat. The author wasn't specific on what was wrong with it, except that it was not good enough for such event and compared to the rest of the package - dress, shoes, tailsuit for the guy (maybe it's a good thing they didn't single anybody out, I'd hate to read something like that about me). Even though I was at OSB for Saturday and Sunday, I didn't pay close attention to amateur standard, except for the event which was in Saturday evening session (was it under 21?). I didn't notice any problem hair or makeup, as a matter of fact, I think some of the worst offenders as far as hair goes were in pro latin that night.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

While a simple bun may be in vogue for latin it is very beginnerish for standard.
  3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

It's true! I was very impressed with the strength of that hair!
  4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Strange I wasn't there but I looked at photos of the finnalists and everyone look pretty good....

I agree with Larinda but I have often liked a lot of the very top italian ladies in standard who would make the simplest bun for standard, I thought that look was very polished and amasing and classy and really stood out for the simplicity.
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Thanks for the comments! I am still debating what to do with my hair for the next comp (i'll be doing smooth and rhythm)... rereading this thread like a billion times should help!
  6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for a styling gel that won't darken blond hair?
  7. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

With regards to creating the shiny wet look - hair spray followed by the hair dryer followed by more hair spray and more blasts with the hair dryer....you get the drift lol The more you do it, the more of a mirror appearence you get!

And yes I've slept with my hair still in for two nights before for a 3 day competition, I just slept on my face LOL or on my side with my hand under my face so my hair wasn't pressed into the pillow, sounds uncomfortable but it was worth it to not have to keep doing my hair each day!
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Do you use a hot or cold setting on the dryer to get the shiny look?
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I use hot, it is faster and that is what you are trying to do... preserve the wetness.
  10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Instead of a gel, Freeze It hair spray with optical brighteners works great. Its very flattering. I tried gel, but it never worked for me.
  11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Wow. I've wondered this my entire life! HAhahah. I've done a couple showcases and my hair NEVER gets like that. I always thought it was because i didn't have the mystery product that makes it that way.

I have very short hair. In fact, both sides of my head are shaved. LOL I can make a fun fauxhawk but that's not so ideal for dance LOL.
    I don't have many options for my hair other than to basically slick it back and make a long side bang sweeping down across the front. But by the end of the day i still have tons of fly away pieces (or general fuzz) all over the place. For my first actual competition this july, i want to have helmet head HAAHA but even though i'm a total novice/beginner, if i can look the part as much as possible, that would make me very happy.

So for short hair slick-back style (more or less) do i need gel & wax and hairspray? I'm doing smooth and rhythm. I have many hairpieces from when my hair was longer (still same colour) but i'm unsure if i can even get any of them in in such a short hair style (if i need longer-ish for smooth).
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've been using gel...I found a brand that sticks my hair down for good. Then I hairspray on top of it. I don't tend to use wax, as my hair doesn't like it at all.
  13. no_name901

no_name901 Member

How long is your hair in the back? IN rhythm I would suggest all back with some volume on top (similar to the faux hawk). When I do my partners hair and mine, I usually use L.A. Looks Wet Look Gel (when dry it really creates the shiny look). And on top of that I Hairspray it with the Got2Be Glued hairspray. I run a comb through it and smooth out any fly a ways. And then if you want you can blast it with the hairdryer. You can put a flower on the side if you want. For smooth maybe a more softer look? not so severe a look? You could probably even get away with some extensions or hair piece if you let your sides grow in a bit, since you have until July?
  14. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Is there a special technique for getting lots of volume at the top? My hair is very short...just long enough to slick back, and I have trouble getting volume.
  15. no_name901

no_name901 Member

I would suggest to just tease/back comb sections all the way back to around I think where you usually put a high ponytail. I don't know the name of the parts of the hair. a tutorial showing how to do a faux hawk should help.
  16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I"m saving this in my iPhone LOL! THANK YOU!!!

I do want to grow out the long section anyway. The back is finally long enough that it's more-or-less a bob now, like the long pieces go to the hairline at the neck. I'll play around with the extensions. I like the idea of adding some volume to the top. I have a round face so that will help look less bobble-head/severe. Thanks for mentioning those products. I'm going to experiment with them before hand.
  17. no_name901

no_name901 Member

Your welcome. I'm glad to have helped someone. Lol I used to basically use the got2b spray and the hair glue. But it didn't have enough shine and was hard to comb through. With the gel it worked more smoother. Experimenting is definitely the right way to go. I always do practice runs on my partner with her hair. Are you planning to grow out the sides as well? They will probably be long enough to slick back into a hairpiece maybe? So many ideas pop into my head for possible smooth hairstyles. It just depends on how long your hair will be. :)
  18. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

bumping because my searching skills have failed me. There was a thread on hair that was discussing making your own hair jewelry/accessories, like the appliques that they sell on danceshopper. I can't find it. Did anyone ever figure out what the backing was for those? I've got loose rhinestones and an open weekend, was thinking about PROJECT TIME.
  19. fayeh

fayeh Member

I do my own hair and make-up. But that is after I went to a hairdresser (for dancers) to get my first hair and make-up done by a professional. The lady was very nice because she let my partner film the whole process of doing my hair so that I can copy it again for my next competition. I took pictures of my make-up after the whole thing. Total price: €80 includes rhinestones on hair.

It does take practice to make a nice hair-do. I spend about 3 hours doing my hair for every competition and another hour for make-up. Practice and get your partner to help!
  20. harp34552

harp34552 Member

I don't have a link to the thread, although I remember it too.

But I did make my own hair bling, and I didn't use the rubbery stuff, I used an actual embroidered applique. I just bought a black one from a fabric store that was swirly and abstract, stoned what I wanted, and then cut away all the excess material. It looks FABULOUS, it was super cheap and easy, and because I have dark hair, the applique fades right in.