Another Hair and Makeup Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, May 17, 2007.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I use eyelash glue, a friend of mine uses washable elmers glue. The eyelash glue is a PITA to get out, don't try to brush it out, but they stay very well. I've kept a whole stoned hairpiece on with just eyelash glue and had to work to get it out later. Elmers I imagine is easier to get out cause it's water soluble, but it doesn't dry as quickly so you'll have to be very careful when placing them. Eyelash glue gets nice and tacky quickly and they'll stay where you place them.
  2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about eyelash glue - this is the first time I've heard the negative, which is good to know. I've used Elmer's glue myself (recommended by one of my coaches) and it worked well and was pretty painless. Someone else put the stones in, which helped. Since it is water soluable, it was easy to get the stones and the glue out of my hair after the fact, but it was a pain to collect all the stones...you'll have that problem no matter which method you use, though!
  3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

The eyelash glue is definitely tricky to get out, but if you take your time it isn't that bad. Pick all of the stones off and set them aside to use again next time. Then get in the shower and after washing your hair a couple of times, put A LOT of conditioner in your hair and comb through it section by section. Most if not all of the glue should slide off on to the comb. It does take some time, but isn't really that difficult.
  4. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I've used both and the eyelash glue is way, way easier in application but elmers is easier to remove. Six of one, half dozen of the other, really.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is what I think as well.

I use eyelash glue because it is so easy to put in. The elmers may be easier to wash out because it is water soluble... but I would rather have the eyelash glues ease of use and strength any day. And like Skwiggy said, once you get used to it, conditioner and a comb in the shower and it slide out quite easily.
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

So I've heard what glue to use to put the stones in the hair, but how do you know where to put the stones? Do you use them for only smooth and standard? Are you just randomly placing crystal AB stones through the hair? What size, etc.?

I would love to do this, I just don't have a clue how...
  7. mindputtee

I use them to accent interesting parts of my hairdo. I have long bangs that I generally use to make a design across my forehead and I usually stone them. If you've got a lot of twists and curls in the back I'd stone a couple to highlight the effect.
  8. fayeh

fayeh Member

For glue, UHU for hair that needs to be glued on the hair. Washes off with a lot of conditioner and comb. Eyelash glue for any decorations that is on the forehead or face as it's more resistent to sweat.
  9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I put stones in for rhythm that were extra 20ss I had for my dress. They accented the style, as mindputtee said...in my case, basically down the length of my head along a twisted piece of hair. We added some more for smooth later, along the edge of the bun in several layers so it looked like an elaborate clip or pin.
  10. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Does anyone know how they make the "cone" hairstyles for standard? I've seen it in Latin too. If I find a picture I'll post it, but I'm not having any luck. It literally looks like an upside down ice cream cone on top of the head. A friend of mine wants me to help her create this look but we're not sure if there should be a form underneath or is it just a knot/bun with hair wrapped in the shape of a cone?
  11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

You mean the pointy buns that make the whole thing look like a teapot? I think if your hair's long enough you could do it without a form.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

When I make mine I simply use my own hair, no form underneath.
  13. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

That's the one :) And I don't think my friend's hair is long enough...I would have to use a clip on hairpiece to create the length which makes me worry about the stability of the thing.

Larinda - do you simply create a bun or knot and then swirl the hair around it, pinning in place to create a cone shape? Or is there another method you use?
  14. mindputtee

I quite accidentally discovered that hair style once. I did a high ponytail I had a bit of gel in the pony. I started to wrap it in a kind of flat way, stuck a long hair pin in to give it something to wrap around and then secured it with a lot of gel and bobbys.
  15. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I have been dying to ask, does anyone know how to do this half-up/half down hairstyle? Little pouf in the front, the collected hair up until a little bun (which is, if I see correctly, is a braid?)? I have long (almost as long as the girl in the video below) curly hair that's layered and I'd LOVE to figure out what to use so the gathered-up part won't move through a ton of Latin rounds...

youtube [dot] com/watch?v=7gJRxCRE8UY at either 1:46 or 4:20

But I think you can see it better here, she's the first dance-on in the below video

youtube [dot] com/watch?v=WBngZycAJ_M
  16. no_name901

no_name901 Member

It's actually not a braid, but I'm sure something similar can be done with a braid. The competitor gets her hair by, I'm almost sure, Lela Weinert (she does makeup and hair at many competitions). She also has pictures of this hairstyle on her facebook. All it basically is is straightened hair, with some volume in the front, and pulled back into a half ponytail. From there its just positiong the hair how you'd like it. Twisting it here and there creating the desired look. :)