Another on2 question from on1

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Salsaonone, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Is it coincidence or not that I noticed that ETon2 is the same footwork as the holding pattern in rueda (for the basic steps)? Do you dance ETon2 in normal closed dance postion (both go back or foward together as one), or do you use the rueda holding pattern basic (both go back(not together) from eachother and towards together(never really make closed position)?

Thanks!!

2. tj

tj New Member

Hmm... the way that I understand it, the guapea (the basic step in Rueda) is *not* the same as the basic ET-On2.

The guapea is essentially the same as an open break. Basically, you step back with your left on the 1. Forward and to the right on 5.

ET-On2 is different...

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree with tj here. There are other rueda basic steps that are more complex, designed to give different feels to the dance. For instance, theer is a step that emphasizes the circular nature, there is a step that emphasizes breathing in and out of the circle... None are like ETon2.

4. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Well I still see some similarities in the footwork...but I can be wrong.. :wink:

Anyway, if I am doing ETon2 basics...which is all I know from ET, can someone describe how moves work like a simple outside turn for the woman or a CBL? I can't visualize the move with the footwork..perhaps due to indoctrination of on1 style...
    Thanks!

5. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

could someone enlighten me as to the meaning of 'ET', assuming you don't mean some extraterrestrial form of salsa (though i'd love to learn it) :shock:

6. Vin

Vin New Member

ETon2-Eddie Torres style on2.
    For most moves the transfer between on2 and on1 is done so that the ORDER of the follows FOOT PLACEMENT does not change.

(Number in parenthesis is the beat for on1 timing).

So for a simple right turn you would lead it going into the 1(4), the woman would step forward into the turn on 2(5), spin on 3(6) and 4(7) and step back in place on 5 ( 8 ) and step back on the 6(1).

This simple example illustrates the illusion of more time when dancing on2. In actuality you would lead the move right before the 1 on your pause beat, giving you an extra beat to prepare for the move. Whereas dancing on1 your pause beat and your 4 line up so you don't have that extra beat.

For me most moves transition quite easily, the hardest thing so far was the transition of the cross body lead.