Another question on Salsa Shoes

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by maleva, Jul 5, 2005.

1. maleva

maleva New Member

Hello --
    Am looking to buy a pair of shoes just for salsa. Do you usually prefer leather or soft-ballroomy suede soles? Flats (ie jazz shoes) or heels? What is the highest heel you can wear for salsa?

thanks!
    Jennifer
  2. alemana

alemana New Member

i see everything on the scene. dance sneakers. very soft jazz shoes (very popular in nyc even for performance groups.) thick chunky heels, thin heels, one inches, two inches, and for the very adventurous, three. color anywhere from "nude" to silver to black to red to snakeskin.

personally i wear latin shoes, 2.5 inches, stiletto heels, same as i wear for ballroom latin.

lots of people wear heels but not stilettos, because the latter are harder on your feet. i say go for 2 inches or so if you're used to it, nice chunky heel, you're good to go.
  3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I go for sneakers if you're going to dance for hours. Heels are killers for fast, hardcore salsa.

Twilight Elena
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I find it easier to dance in heels... chunky ones though, not stilettos (see avatar). I often end up with sore calves after dancing in dance sneakers. :? I haven't tried soft jazz shoes.
  5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmm... I see you are really getting into salsa! That's good. I saw quite few tango people last night and newbies at salsa too. :D
  6. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I also find it way easier to dance in heels, but I also don't own any shoes that are less than an 1" high, so I simply don't wear flats. I just find wearing heels makes it easier to be on the ball of my foot. I've been dancing salsa in a couple of pairs of 3" stillettos (non-dance shoes) [alemana, Where did you get your stilletto dance shoes???] and I love it.
    LeeLee likes this.
  7. cookie

cookie New Member

I have more control on jazz shoes and find heels hurt my feet after a few hours, but they do look better.

I havent tried dance sneakers, and have heard mixed reviews. Some say they are great in their cushioning and save the knees, others say its too hard to spin in them.

How do girls learn to dance in high heels? Is it a good idea to 'train' your feet to cope with heels by wearing heels day to day (around the office, for example) or save your feet for heels only on the dance floor?

any suggestions?
  8. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

well, I'm the one who wears heels all the time, so all I know is wearing them all day and all night too. My feet "cope" so well with heels that flats actually hurt me. One thing I have noticed is that my feet occasionally get tired of the same shoe (remember, I'm still not wearing dance shoes as they are on backorder for another week), so maybe wear heels during the day, until you feel ready to dance in them, but don't wear the same pair every day. Vary the heights, vary the straps (avoid blisters)... I have a selection, but occasionally, I'll borrow something from my mom, just for a change. Also, the girls I hear complaining about their shoes hurting their feet are usually buying cheap shoes. I'm very picky about shoes, but I never complain about my feet hurting.
    Maybe someone who has acutally trained herself to dance in heels will be more helpful. I probably have a one-sided view.
  9. IsabellaCruella

IsabellaCruella New Member

I think if you wear heels more often you will get the hang of normal body motion in them and so one you salsa in them you know how to handle your energy and weight. So that is a thumbs up to wearing heels around in the day for normal activities. Also it always makes a womans leg so devistatingly fabulous... why not?
  10. sara1011

sara1011 New Member

I'm in the same boat as BrookeErin. I love heels and rarely, if ever, wear flats. Even my thong summer sandals have a one-inch heel. I tried dancing in non-dance sneakers a couple months back, and my feet hurt more after class than they've ever hurt when I've worn my 3" heels.

All of my dance shoes are from Very Fine (with the exception of one pair from Capezio that I don't wear any longer). The Very Fine are Latin, 3" flared heels. I ordered them online at www.danceshoesstore.com. I own this pair, this pair, and this pair. I want this and this and this; I can't afford them, however.
  11. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

On the shoe question...

I started salsa a few months ago (so take my opinion with a grain of salt), and I find it's much easier to learn on heels.

The spins especially are easier than in anything else I've put on. That is, now they are easier. In the beginning, when my balance was totally hopeless (it's merely hopeless now), the shoes made it even harder. However, I believe that if you master the steps in high heeled shoes, you can go to flats easier than if you were to do the reverse. But that's just me.

Of course, I already had dance shoes (suede soled) from my tango classes, and they have a 2.5 inch thicker heel and ankle straps (two different types), aos they provide a lot of support. Suede however can be pretty hard on the balls of your feet if the floor doesn't have much give, so I often use silicone pads on the inside to lessen the impact.

I got a leather soled pair now, and it is totally inapropriate for tango (a bit inflexible and slippy), but works ok for salsa. I still prefer the suede, though.

I hope this helps, Maleva.
  12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I agree 100%!
  13. Medira

Medira New Member

When getting used to heels, it's best to learn how to walk properly in them before you try to dance in them. I don't wear heels all that often outside of dance or special occasions, but I've been dancing in heels for over 10 years now. I started out by just walking around in the house in my heels, as well as up and down stairs, until I was comfortable with my balance in them. Then, I moved on to some simple dance steps. Tap basics, mostly -- I wasn't taking ballroom at the time. After that, I moved on to more complex stuff, until I didn't even really notice a difference between being in heels or flats. All it takes is just a bit of practice. :)
  14. Claire_Brummell

Claire_Brummell New Member

It's absolutely a very personal thing - everyone is different.

My personal preference is for heels - and I find them FAR easier to dance in. My preference is a nice pair of 3" custom made shoes from Heavenly Dance shoes in London - very comfortable, reasonable and I always go for leather soles.

I have a variety of heel heights so I can vary them to spare my feet. I have dance sneakers only to give my feet a break on weekenders etc during the day - but they kill my calf muscles and I find them very hard to spin in. My advice would be to try some options and find out what's right for you.

Claire xx
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I agree with Claire- it's a very personal thing, your preference! You have to try a few different styles to see which go with YOUR style of dancing. I like to do fast shines & a lot of footwork & spin on my own, so I like jazz flats. They are great for practice, as your feet don't get sore and you won't get those horrible bunions like you can get from wearing heels too much. I can dance in heels, but I always switch to jazz flats when the balls of my feet start getting tired. I personally don't like the look of those dance sneakers. I somehow think they make women look like donkeys(like they have "hooves" or something) but that is just my opinion. Wear what you think firstly FEELS best, secondly opt for looks.
  16. kat.gr

kat.gr New Member

Hi everybody! Can anyone suggest me a good quality salsa danse shoes brand because i injured my ankle and i cannot use a bad shoe at salsa dances.
  17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi kat.gr welcome to DF

Get well soon, but take care of your joints! I know so many salsa girls that have ruined their feet on high-heels like Comme-il-faut.

You need something with a high ankle strap like this one by Capezio.
    [​IMG]

But I fear, the heel was too high at the moment. So I would recommend low dance sneakers for a while. My girlfriend is dancing in Scarpas from Anniel for the same reason.

[​IMG]

I am very happy with my Bloch Amalgam. They are for guys and girls. The sole has three different section. Each material is for a different turning speed.

[​IMG]
  18. kat.gr

kat.gr New Member

dear opendoor thank you very much for the information :) you' ve been really very helpfull!
  19. tinkabella_wix

tinkabella_wix New Member

I wear Latin shoes, 2 inches... Heels helps you better to complete moves I take them off sometimes and wear my jazz shoes but it's not the same. I don't suggest you to wear jazz shoes though because you are more familiar with the moves on heels and feet looks better.
  20. Adam dener

Adam dener New Member

No I can't wear high heel because I can't walk easily with it....
    I prefer flats fashionable and comfortable shoes.............
    Otherwise depend on situation hahhaha.......
    ajiboyet likes this.