Another song thread: country ballroom/Latin songs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ash_sk8s, May 5, 2012.

1. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Does anyone know any good country music, preferably more current stuff, that works for any ballroom/Latin dance? The only one I can think of right now is "You Look So Good in Love" by George Strait, which is a slow waltz. Any others?
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

"Big Dog Daddy", "Bible Belt", "Girls Gone Wild", "High Time for Gettin' Down" could all be Jive.
  3. Amazed by Lonestar is a standard in the Nightclub Two Step. Country actually has a number of waltzes and nightclub two steps.
  4. asdepique

asdepique Member

JIVE: Time to get crazy by Travis Tritt
  5. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Anyone have anything else to add?

I'll add that "I'm Still A Guy" by Brad Paisley is a Viennese Waltz!
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Carrie Underwood's "Cupid's Got a Shotgun" is a Quickstep.

ETA: "Two Black Cadillacs" from that same album may be a Tango, if a slightly slow one.
  7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

"Down in Mississippi" and "It Happens" - Sugarland - both jives
    "Already Gone" - Sugarland - VW
    "Marry for Money" - Trace Adkins - ECS
    "On Again Tonight" - Trent Williams - VW
    "Brass Bed" - Josh Gracin - VW
    "If I Knew Then" and "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" - Lady Antebellum - Waltz
    "Away Down The River" and "Lay Down Beside Me" - Alison Kraus - Waltz
    "I'm Movin' On" - Rascal Flatts - Waltz

That's just what I have on my dance playlists. I try to keep the country to a minimum or it would get overwhelming. Foreveradvanced is right - there are a lot of NC2S and waltzes - and a LOT of ECSs.
  8. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

"I'm Still a Guy" by Brad Paisley is one of my favorite Viennese waltzes (bit slow for international but great for American)
  9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Not sure I understand the question.
    Most Country songs are either 2-Step, which is essentially a simplified version of Foxtrot, or some type of Swing. CW Swing is virtually identical to Jitterbug, and you can do ECS or WCS to the slower ones.
    There's Waltzes and Polkas in Country.
    A surprisingly high number of Country songs are Cha-Chas and Rumbas.
  10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

You should look into what they are playing on the UCWDC circuit (competitive country dance). They should have plenty of Waltz music. They do Cha Cha but from what I remember the music is/was MUCH slower than ballroom tempo.
  11. davedove

davedove Active Member

"Easy" by Rascal Flatts and "Crazy Girl" by the Eli Young Band are both Viennese Waltzes.

Both "Ladies Love Country Boys" and "Honky Tonk Badonadonk" by Trace Atkins make good Cha Cha's.

Going back a few years, "When Love Finds You" by Vince Gill is a fabulous waltz. I'm currently trying to choreograph a potential showcase for it right now.
  12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Recent releases, Crazy Girl by the Eli Band - for a VWaltz
    And now playing on the radio air time - Do Ya Wanna - Janice? or Janet Kramer -VWaltz
    Lady Antebellum Band - lots of their music is most excellent for a Rumba
    Tune into Sirius Radio "On The Highway" channel which is current crossover country music. You'll find more than a fair share of music that fits ballroom. I'm currently doing a fast chacha/rumba to a Kenny Chesney song for a showcase and the music is wonderful. Also, Lionel Richie has re-released an album that is all duets with huge country music stars - of his most famous songs - entitled Tuskegee - and somehow a slow fabulous showcase rumba to "Lady" comes to mind. This album has shot to the top of pre-release chart topping history and is currently selling out.
  13. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland is a good Jive
    Little White Church by Little Big Town could be a fun Quickstep
    Getting You Home by Chris Young might work for Rumba
  14. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" (I'm guessing that's the title) for Paso Doble!
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Do they also break on 1?
  16. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Nope.
  17. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

I'm not sure I understand what's not to understand! lol Just building up my playlists and I happen to LOVE country, so seeing what songs others know of that are danceable...plus my old partner is coming home from Alaska to visit and we're going to a country bar that night, so I wouldn't mind getting a song played that we could dance to and get strange looks. ;-)
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Angel Eyes- Love and Theft - Cha cha.