Any same sex dancers here?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by twnkltoz, Feb 2, 2013.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I participated in a same sex dance competition a couple weeks ago at my studio with a friend of mine, and it was really fun. The atmosphere was energizing and supportive, and the level of dancing was really impressive. A student of mine just suggested doing April Follies in Oakland together. Sounds like fun. Anyone else tried it?

2. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I've attended Liberty Challenge (the Pennsylvania same-sex championships) every year since 2008, and competed most years as well. It's my favorite comp each year.

Egorich likes this.
  3. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

April Follies is a great event, and probably the largest same-sex comp in the States. For a really big fields, you'll have to go to Europe where there is a same-sex comp on average of about once a month somewhere.

4. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

At my last collegiate competition I registered TBA at Bronze but there were no TBA leaders in Smooth so one of our Silver followers learned to lead at the competition in like an hour in order to lead me. I was pretty proud of us, we still managed to make semifinals in 2 of 3 events. :)

ajiboyet and twnkltoz like this.
  5. twnkltoz

I think I'd better read up on the rules, etc.! I like how they structure their comps.

6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I lead sometimes when my leader partner can't come to a comp- one of my close friends and I compete together. It is super fun and casual. We just compete against regular mixed couples, and its pretty much the same. A little more crowded at the top of the standard frame though ;)

leee, Miss Silly and pygmalion like this.
  7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I've heard about an "interlocking effect". ;)

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  8. twnkltoz

Neat! I thought it wasn't allowed at regular competitions.

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I compete mostly at collegiate comps. I think every collegiate comp I've been to just mixes same sex couples in no problem, although the rules with leading and following in the same comp can be quite complicated, especially with the no more than two consecutive levels rule

10. twnkltoz

For those of you who do the NASSPDA comps, do you switch roles during the dance? How do you dress? With two girls, would it be weird for the the leader to dress like boys usually do (pants) and the follower to dance like a girl (a dress), and switch roles partway through?

11. Terpsichorean Clod

There's one collegiate comp in our area that allows mixed, same-sex, and reverse-role couples (judged together on the same floor).

The other collegiate comps allow only mixed and female same-sex couples.

There used be a girl/girl couple from the Sacramento area that wore matching slacks and shirt. They had a vest with the number pinned on. They switched off wearing the vest depending on who was leading a particular event.

12. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

There's a female couple here that does 10-dance. When they're dancing Standard, the leader is wearing a tailsuit and the follower a ballgown. They maintain traditionalist roles and does not switch. They don't have the interlocking top problem because the leader is built like a boy.

13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

When I dance and compete in same sex events, we switch a couple of times during each dance (we dance Standard). We wear costumes that are neither a dress nor a tail suit but sort of a combination of both. For the most part we compete at same-sex events but want to start competing at collegiate comps where they allow same-sex couples.

twnkltoz likes this.
  14. tequila

tequila Member

I can only speak from my experience within the ESSDA comps and so far I've seen all kinds of combinations:
    Switching leads during the dances, switching from dance to dance, staying in the roles of leader/ follower all the time. It probably depends on the proficiency in ones skill as well as the height difference whether people switch or not.

For example, my partner is much taller than me so it is making sense for her to be the leader. Furthermore, I have no leading experience while she is quite the accomplished leader (and an even more fabulous follower) so I'd be worried to hurt her if I were leading. Another fellow couple has the same height, however the (male) follower has no experience as a leader whatsoever, so they do not switch either.

On the dressing topic: In Standard there is everything from traditional (leader: tails; follower: gown - that's what we are doing, too) to specially made nice costumes which are kind of a combination. You also see two tails; one in tails or similar while the other wearing some kind of modified suit (e.g. costume with pantskirt); two etirely different type of costumes from what one is used to (considering "regular" comps);...
    In Latin pants seem to be the way to go ;) But you see a lot of girls wearing dresses, too.

Once I saw a gentleman who was wearing a bright orange jacket with... well, it wasn't a float, but it had an interesting touch. And another one who was wearing something similar to a tailsuit only it was a one-piece and it had a float as well as parts made of lace.

Never seen two women wearing typical ballroom gowns and - so far - never seen a guy in a skirt/gown though.

15. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

It looks really cool.

Shameless plug, but BADC allows same sex couples (both genders) in all levels and categories.

Had the pleasure of watching Daphna compete at my event this year. Other same sex dancers are more than welcome!!

16. Terpsichorean Clod

No love for reverse role couples? :(

17. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Sadly Liberty Challenge has been canceled this year due to holidays and other conflicts.

18. tequila

tequila Member

I've seen some (very rarely) in college comps or at socials - or, more frequently, at the after-parties of some same-sex comps.
    Sorta funny, you go up to a random person, ask them to dance and after that you start discussing the role distribution...

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  19. Terpsichorean Clod

It's really nice when you're in an environment with a high percentage of people who are proficient in both roles.

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I mean, we don't have an official policy...