Any same sex dancers here?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by twnkltoz, Feb 2, 2013.

1. tequila

tequila Member

Just need to come to the ESSDA events ;)
    Or the WOGA in August, it will be taking place in Antwerp...

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  2. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

This is really interesting! I had no idea there was any kind of provision for same-sex couples in competitions. There's at least one girl-girl couple in the class some of my friends are in, but they're absolute beginners and I always thought that would be absent at higher levels.

When I was training for the competition that got me into dancing I joked that next time I'd be dancing with another man because there would be fewer arguments, but in reality I'm not sure I'd want to. He'd definitely have to follow - there's no way I'm good enough to do anything but lead. :p

3. tequila

tequila Member

If you are interested in checking it out, a big comp will be taking place next Saturday in London ("Pink Jukebox Trophy"). Usually there are some amazing couples competing in this one.

4. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

I've just Googled that - thank you. :)

5. dancelike

dancelike New Member

I sometimes see this in a dance lesson, even in dance party (in VN), in case there's not equivalent between male and female partners. Usually, female and female made a couple. Another reason is the shyness of female who've just learned dancing, especially for an asian girl.

For other cases, male-male couple, I've no experienced, so that got no idea :)

6. OreganO

OreganO Member

I competed last year in a female-female couple and it worked out fantastically once we got over the attitude of rumba :) I also recall seeing a fantastic male-male couple last year at MIT.

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

OMG...the male-male latin couples at this comp I went to were to die for. There was also a couple from Boston who did all four styles, if I recall correctly, and they were just wonderful. There was also a gorgeous female-female standard couple.

8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

One of my dreams is to follow Gold/Open Rhythm or Latin in competition. And nail it. If there are any leaders around the Boston/NYC area willing to indulge me ... :)

twnkltoz likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

Revisiting this topic as I just attended this comp again yesterday. My partner and I did Argentine Tango again and won! It was so exciting--with seven couples, I believe it was the most hotly contested event. Sadly, this was the last year for this comp unless someone else takes up the reins.

I ended up having a lot of drama and financial stress last year so didn't pursue it, but now I'm thinking about it again. My AT partner and I are being wooed into going to April Follies, and I think we'll do it this time. I'd love to compete in some of the ballroom events if I can find the right partner to pull it together in time.

10. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

Not all collegiate comps allow same-sex couples above syllabus

in the northeast Columbia, MIT and Harvard Invitational certainly do

There's a great same sex comp at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston (same venue as Harvard Invitational)

11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I don't think I've been a collegiate comp in the midwest that has restrictions on same sex couoples

12. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I'd love to do this. I don't get enough practice at actually dancing lead. I can break down the figures fine, but there's a palpable "brain wrinkle" I feel on some dances when I have to lead for a whole piece of music at a social. Also, leading actual dancers instead of having to babysit some drunk chick whose partner's snubbing her for three minutes at a time is a big difference.

twnkltoz likes this.
  13. Hedwaite

And worse, while I'm thinking, I make really stupid faces, I'm told.

FancyFeet and twnkltoz like this.
  14. twnkltoz

Agreed, Hedwaite. I'm great at teaching leaders and I'm a really good lead, but set me loose on the social floor and i'm like...duh....what do I know...

15. Hedwaite

I ran into my coach's ailing mother once during a silver foxtrot. She was RIGHT THERE. VISIBLE. Ugh, *facepalm*.

16. Hedwaite

at least that's been some years past now, just for the record. I can actually think and navigate now, unless it's been one heck of an ADHD day.

17. twnkltoz

Ok, I haven't done that, at least!

18. twnkltoz

There was a male-male couple in the advanced strictly swing at the Capital Swing Dancers convention last night. I've seen the follower before...and he puts many girls to shame! The guys had so much fun; it was fun watching them.

19. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

There's a two guy couple in my local swing scene as well! I haven't actually seen them yet, but a couple friends I've made have commented about them.

20. twnkltoz

The follower also leads--very well. Well, I haven't dance with him, but he's a great dancer, either role.