Anyone here shy and/or reserved?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kit05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Same here a lot of the time although I can be spontaneous with some people and talk forever. You don't come across as a snob anyway :)

I find people who can speak at length quite fascinating. My sister can chat for england... when she visits she can still finish her dinner at the same time as me even though she has spoken 20,000 words more! :| How does she do that?! :D (my mouth is bigger by the way incase she ever reads this/also avoids a slap.)

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I can talk for hours but that's just the way I think, only out loud.

3. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I am relieved that I won't have to spend as much time trying to be social at my upcoming job. My two previous jobs were in small community hospitals, so there were only five of us and they all knew eachother and I was replacing someone and being compared to that person and where would I fit in.. In both places it seemed like these there were cliques and which would I fit in to if any? It was weird! And we definitely had enough down time to sit and whine and nitpick and fight.

At my next job I'm going to be too busy and there are too many people for cliques and drama to develop. I am just there to work and if I meet someone I click with that's cool.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Shyness can be a very attractive thing--speaking as someone who is not shy...

5. wonderwoman

You're not shy, Ray? That surprises me. ;)

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

No, I'm not. Nor reserved... :p

7. Alice.W

Alice.W Member

I see nothing wrong with being shy. I feel that many so-called outgoing people feel a bit uncomfortable around shy people, and shy people, being very attentive to their surroundings, sense that and become even more reserved blaming themselves for the uncomfortable situation. I never understood a social push for shy people to become more outgoing - and not the other way around. So if you think you are an outgoing, next time you meet a shy person, prove your people skills you are so proud of and make that shy person comfortable around you. They may not speak much but usually have much more to say in only few words!

so, going back to the original thread - I believe it was wrong for the teacher to insist on doing something you were not ready for. Exploring your limits - yes, that's a very good thing, but stepping over the comfort line just creates more fear, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and I am very shy ...

8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think the reason for that is when a person is reserved, it is harder to read them so it does make people uncomfortable. Hence the societal push.

9. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Someone once said to me that "I don't know what you think/feel at times" (that was from a manager at work many many moons ago).
    I felt like saying, well I can do a dance on this desk if you want to know :lol: I don't get all this classing of folk because they are different from a group of other people, just be yourself :cool: (I am sounding like Mr. T here). Meh, if folk cannot accept you for who you are then as long as you are polite/respect others then tell em to sling their hook. Plently of other people out there who will like you for you!

Speaking of which best go to dance practice right now :p

10. Kits

Kits New Member

Hi Im kristin(kits) new here :)
    Yes I am a shy intoverted person. I've been trying to come out of my shell for so long. I push myself more at work now a days. Its usually hard to speak up to people espically when you can tell that they are not in a good mood or when you cant tell what type of mood they are in. I'm afraid to speak up and my self confidence isnt were I like it to be-but now since I have recently taking dancing its starting to move up a little. I feel a lot happier and guest who are mean to me dont phase me as much as they used to. My Instructor is very helpful! I am so very Lucky!

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Welcome to DF, Kits!

Welcome to DF, Kits! Must be nice to be out in Florida!!!
    :cool:

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Adding my welcome also Kits!

13. Kits

Kits New Member

Thanks for the welcome! :) Yes its beautiful here this week in Orlando. Love it!

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Kits: If you ever find yourself in St. Augustine--know that that's a very special place for me in Florida!

:cool:

15. Kits

Kits New Member

I havent been to St.Augustine yet. I do have a few friends from there though. I heard its a very nice beach like area. Love the beach-o going off topic :/ so sorry

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Kits (St. Augustine, Florida)

Kits: The charm of St. Augustine is not only its beach, but also the town itself. Very romantic... Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

17. wonderwoman

If it makes anyone feel better (it made me feel better) Joanna Leunis admitted in an interview she is very introverted (interviewer agrees) and I would have never guessed it from seeing her dance. So it isn't everything. I think you can be a completely different person on the dance floor from what you are in real life.

18. Kits

Kits New Member

Thank you for sharing ww! yeah I feel more comfortable when I am dancing then when I am talking to people.

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmm, my first coach and consistent friend - said to me "give yourself permission to be someone else on the dance" and when I started embracing that, while still incredibly shy off the floor - my natural goof ball self started showing up on the floor.
    Both of my teachers were....stunned to say the least. Off the floor - it's still me - introverted almost to a fault.

20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That's way I go 3wishes. complete introvert off floor, but on the floor, least, in my studio, I'm outgoing and tallking, will dance with anyone, etc

My studio is MY home. don't have to be shy there on that floor