Anyone know status of B'room dancing as an Olympic sport?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by jxntwinkletoes, Aug 17, 2004.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this and I actually think that voting against ballroom is the wrong way to go. While I personally lean away from wanting ballroom in the Olympics I also think that sizable numbers in this poll might convince some that there is at least potential interest in seeing ballroom televised which is something I am for (although I do agree with Chris that the format shouldn't be changed if it is being televised as a competition).

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I voted for ballroom in the Olympics. I agree there are logistical issues, but I voted for it anyway. (Remember I told you -- I voted with my gut. :oops: :lol: ) In my mind, the logistics of how to structure Olympic trials are secondary to creating visibility for dancesport. Maybe not my best thought out opinion, but I'm open to being verbally thrashed with dissenters. :wink: :lol: Why should I have voted the other way, if I should have voted the other way?

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Yes, I see your point. Given the tiny likelihood of the poll having any influence on the IOC, and the fact that it did seem to be being run by a media company, perhaps it would have been better to game it that way.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Ballroom Dancing got one vote from me... :oops: :oops:
    It's at 6%...

5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Well, my understanding is that ice dance used to be competed multiple couples at once, and it's now one couple at a time. Figure skating used to have required figures so that skating technique mattered, now it's entirely judged on the tricks. These are not hopeful signs for those of us who value quality of dance over flash and trash.

6. tasche

tasche New Member

I believe in order for ballroom to suceed as an olympic sport it would to have a quantifiable (sp?) judging system similar to gymnastics. For each routine a gymnast performs there is a set start value and each element is worth certain value and deductions are usually pretty easy to figure. I do believe that when a gymnast introduces a new element/routine they have to show it front of the judges before competition in order to determine its start value if they have never performed in competition before

Dancesport would have to develop something similar to the above or something similar to the "new" skating system

In both cases I believe that well executed basics would be marked high than badly executed not so basics ( depending on how difficult and how badly executed they are)

Of course this would require more judges and the ability to play back and the judging would take longer etc

So in a perfect world how would you do it?

7. Chris Stratton

Does this require a common agreed upon concept of how the moves should be done?

8. pygmalion

Up front? :shock:

9. tasche

tasche New Member

Yes it does though variations may be acceptable the core technique should be the same. Of course in gymnastics moves are "invented" all the time but they follow a basic standard of execution like 180 degree handstand positions etc.

In other words the technique of the basic apply to the other stuff

10. tasche

tasche New Member

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you bounce, you lose? :)

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I don't know... I figure that if you bounce and you're still in fully working order that probably deserves bonus points, no?

13. KevinL

KevinL New Member

Rats, the poll closed before I could vote...

14. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I don't see squat when I get to that page. Is it something you could paste as text into this thread?

15. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Skydiving? Come one. I was gonna vote for karate, but seeing as how I'll be 34 this year and therfore ineligble to compete in it if it was added, I throw my lot in with ballroom. I think realistically there is room for both though.

16. pygmalion

I thought about this over night before replying because, to be honest, my knee-jerk reaction was to decry your concerns, saying that it's important to get a ballroom "foot in the door," so to speak, and that the details could be worked later.

Well, I thought about this a while and realized that the devil is in the details or however that expression goes. Even if ballroom was included in the Olympics, chances are, as you say, Warren, at least some compromises would be made over time -- in the structure of the competition for TV "viewability" or pursuit of ratings, for example. The danger comes in those compromises -- that they not be allowed to compromise the art form itself. :?

Thanks for giving me something to think about, Warren. 8)

17. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Does anyone remember a short-lived experiment with Latin Dancesport on ESPN where basically couples danced alone in front of the judges and had to have some compulsory figures in their coreography? Does anyone know why such a format was never adopted?

18. Chris Stratton

First guess: the TV audience didn't watch so it got cancelled

Second guess: the competitors didn't like the format. Current competition trends tend to reward choreography and performance over clean execution of the classic figures from which compulsory material would probably be drawn. So a lot of couples would have to substantially retrain for such a format - they might benefit from it, but people who are good at what they do often resist changing the game to something they aren't yet good at.

19. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I remember reading a long time ago on the espn site that buying the broadcast right to some of the comps was very expensive or something. There is now reason viewship wise it would do any worse then other sports they show on Espn2.

20. Chris Stratton

Choose different comps then - a comp which can attract good competitors but isn't yet at the top of the pecking order might be willing to accept a more reasonable package