Anyone know status of B'room dancing as an Olympic sport?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by jxntwinkletoes, Aug 17, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't have. I can't remember the actual scores and proposed corrected scores that were quoted in the article, but the difference wasn't 0.1.

2. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I agree with this and I see no problem with it. As far as i can tell it seems to be the case with any sport that is is competed internationally on a large enough scale

This has been tried with latin dancesport and was abandoned for some reason that I still don't know. It probably wasn't given a fair shot. I'm still not concvinced that the lesser dancers you speak of are only attempting to imitate the top couples and not focusing on improving the quality of their own dancing. That's pretty insulting to them when there is no convincing information to back it up

3. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Actually it would have. The deductions would be the same its just that they started deducting from a vlue of 9.9 instead of 10.0

4. pygmalion

The final scores ended up with the 0.1 split, so the final result would not have ended up with the South Korean 0.1 ahead. Does that make sense? He ended up 0.049 behind (with bronze) when he would have ended up 0.051 ahead (with gold), if the correct start value had been assigned. :?

5. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Oh, OK . Now I get it . I misunderstood what your previous message was trying to say. Sorry about that. :oops:

6. DanceAm

DanceAm New Member

Then why bother competing at all, Olympics or not? Flawed is flawed. I am actually for taking out sports that no longer or never did have meaning.

The track and field "triple jump". This is a sport for white guys that can't do long jump.

Syncronized swimming, diving, etc.

Gymnastics dancing or whatever they do with the long ribbon.

Trampoline. Why not at Jarts or frisbee or putt putt golf?

Any marksmanship with air rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow etc. If they are going to use a machine like that, then maybe we need NASCAR in the Olympics as well.

Many of the swimming events, c'mon, do we really need to see the Backstroke in the Olympics. We don't have backwards running.

Race walking. What's next, marathon standing?

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am actually all for this!

8. pygmalion

You know what gets me? Beach volleyball. Huh? :? :lol:

9. Angelo

Angelo New Member

What's even funnier is that there is a whole squad of girls that dance in bikinis to entertain the crowd during the breaks in play.

10. DanceAm

DanceAm New Member

Beach Volleyball, hmmm?

I used to play two man when I was younger in back yards or parks, it was a tough sport, no judges needed, but it seemed to have developed out of a lack of interest. It is hard to get more than 4 people together who really want to play V-ball. It would seem like playground basketball, two on two should be a sport as well, but the difference here is you have to do it as a pick up game, you won't know who your teammate is until you get there. You won't even know what country you will be playing for.

But I think the point is, we might be adding too many sports already. One of the criteria for a new sport is that it won't require another venue. Something like sync-swimming was actually just a money maker, sell tickets to the Pool venue when the swimming and diving is not going on to those who wanted to see something else but it was sold out.

Also, the tennis and basketball seems to have lost its luster. If there is no money on the line, the pros don't take it seriously enough. Let's give these sports back to the amateurs. I hate that our best show up and do so bad. The 1980 Hockey Miracle was so historic because of the David and Goliath similarity. Herb Brooks said something like, "Dream Team" is the wrong name, because it takes away our chance to dream.

Dance is already messed up, we don't know who the amateurs are, or for that matter, who the Americans are. Before Laura reads this, we know the new terms are Olympic eligible/inelig.

11. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

In defense of my sister's sport let me just say that I'd like to see you walk 20k in 1 hour 45 minutes.

Race walking is certainly a better fit for the Olympics than Ballroom Dancing is. Lets just leave it at that.

12. DanceAm

DanceAm New Member

I don't want to argue. Just because it is difficult and competitive doesn't make it a sport fit for the Olympics though. It doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile activity or sport, I just happen to have an opinion on it. And yours is different, good, I am glad someone likes it. If my brother did it, I probably wouldn't defend him though, which shows you're a person of good character and I would tease my brother to no end.

And would you really like to see me race walk 20k? Be honest and don't bother printing up a lot of tickets. I think I could find more people that would like to see me dance than race walk.

Does race walking have a special aerodynamic uniform made so the competitor can walk with less wind resistance? Do the competitors have a special shoe they wear? Are some race walking shoes considered illegal? Do some competitors just wear flip-flops or go barefoot. Doesn't Nike have a commercial featuring the new Race Walking line of footware (like the "Ground Jorden's")? Will they soon have syncronized race walking so we can see pairs do the more difficult task of walking at the same pace, oh wait, I did that in the military, it was called Marching. Come to think of it, we also did Marathon standing in the military as well. I think the military has many potential Olympic sports:

1. Latrine cleaning.
    2. Waiting.
    3. Looking forward to eating bad food.
    4. Despising Smoky Bear type hats.
    5. Lacing boots.
    6. Cleaning a rifle.
    7. Sitting on a hard floor.
    8. Getting yelled at for long periods of time.
    9. Making your bed.
    10. Folding your underwear in exactly 6 in. widths.

Tell your sister to be proud of her race walking as you are to be her sister. Don't waste your time getting upset with me.

13. Laura

Laura New Member

I've heard that the "World Military Marching Championships" are sometimes shown as in-flight entertainment on Air China International flights. The anecdote I heard goes on to report that the only two entrants in this competition were China and North Korea.

Race walking is funky but at least it fits the "faster, stronger, higher" concept of sport, which I believe is is the Olympic motto. Basketball, tennis, shooting, ballroom dance, synchronized swimming, dressage, boxing, baseball, diving, soccer, softball, ping pong (I mean table tennis) etc. don't fit this.

It could be so simple: if the winner can't be determined by a stopwatch, a ruler, or a scale, then it's out.

14. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Well, since we're being honest, that "I'd like to see you" was meant in the sense of "I'm pretty darn sure you can't". If you're going to make fun of a sport that you clearly know nothing about, then you shouldn't be surprised to get called on it.

Oh, and since you asked about shoe commercials, several of the top race walkers are sponsored by companies like Nike, Moving Comfort, etc. You're entitled to your opinion, but it apparently differs from that of many sports apparel executives who are presumably more informed about sports than you are.

15. DanceAm

DanceAm New Member

Elizabeth, I knew you couldn't stop. This is too much fun.

There are a lot of sports I know nothing about or rarely keep track of since I started dancing. I don't know much about curling, I don't watch it and I don't follow it. But as a child I threw stones across the ice. I can concede to much of what you say. But I do know a little about race walking. I know that the knee has to be straight when landing on it or at least one leg has to be straight at all times or you're creeping, sort of a Groucho Marks kind of walk, and I know at least one foot has to be on the ground at all times or that is called "running". I did it in Gym class and our coach read the rule book to us and made us race walk for an entire half mile. I actually did very well in that, but my acheivement in Gym class that one day did not entice anyone to pick me first for softball a week or two later. By no means am I an expert, but I do understand it.

Actually I have thought of that one day in Gym class when my dance instructor wants me to travel more in the waltz, it is amazing how much distance you can get when you lower and push off the rear leg, but that type of step would be illegal in Race Walking and in one of the last two Olympics someone was disqualified for form. Of course that scandal didn't get the recognition it deserved, imagine, someone cheating at race walking. That blows the French skating judge, Tonya Harding, Paul Hamm scandals out of the water. I am surprised that the news coverage hasn't referenced that when discussing the Paul Hamm Gold medal.

And walking is not that difficult for most of us since we do it at such a young age. I think when my son learned to walk it was a big thing, but many Olympics have passed and I cannot think of a single competitor's name in that event. My son was a little older before he learned to color inside the lines, maybe that should be a sport in the Olympics too, but that would require judges and that is what we are trying to avoid.

As for the motto, "Fastest" we are still talking about walking. Is that any different from being the best at one hand clapping? How about who can guzzle beer the fastest thru a thin straw? How about getting dressed the fastest while handcuffed? Shooting blindfolded? High jumping from mud? Doing the Waltz without a partner?

But they have been questioning the validity of Race Walking in the Olympics since some Cary Grant movie in the 60's. I was sick from school and it was on network TV. This american competitor always hesitated to answer when asked what event he was competing in out of embarrasment. It was almost the suspense of the movie, will he get the girl and what event is he entered in?

16. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

DanceAm:

What would you say would be a good idea to use as criteria for anything being included in the Olympics?

17. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Can someone remind me why being "viewer-friendly" counts as a qualification for being considered a olympic worthy sport? Would gymnastics or track and field events be any less sports if no one watched them?... just saying...

18. Laura

Laura New Member

"View-friendly" counts these days because of money. Specifically, money from television contracts. Even more significantly, big bucks from the American network television contracts. If the Olympics were made up of sports that no one wanted to watch -- even in an Olympic year -- then NBC etc. wouldn't dish out the huge amount of cash they do.

19. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

You mean like that "broom dancing" thing they do that is sort of like bowling (for people with no arm) on ice (for people who can't skate) where they basically just wave their brooms around and plead with the puck to go where they want? I'm sure that gets lots of TV time...

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are you talking about curling????