App for Automatically Cutting Rounds

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Olga Y, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Any idea on if/when an android compatible version will be coming out? :D
  2. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Krogholm, trying it out and it's working excellently! Do you have any plans to add Smooth and Rhythm to the dance options? That would make my American style self happy as a clam!
  3. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Sorry, but at this time I'm strictly an iOS guy :)
  4. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Thanks for your swift feedback - and I'm glad you like the app! I will definitely put the possibility of more styles on my to-do list for a coming version.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  5. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Yes, Krogholm, would love to have this, but need American style!
  6. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

It is settled, then. I will add American style to version 1.1, which I'm currently working on. Could any of you point me in the direction of the authoritative source for dance names and tempo regulations? I must confess that being European, I don't know that much about Smooth and Rhythm... :)
    singndance likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

This does not seem to exist at e App Store. Is the title

Ballroom competition trainer

8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

IOC it is for iPhone and not ipad,....
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

when was that.....last week???:eek::D
    Miss Silly likes this.
  10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

They can be found in section 3.5 (page 11) of the 2013 DanceSport Rulebook v 15 (that is a direct link). I'm copying and pasting the official distinctions here:

American Smooth:
    Waltz, 28-30
    Tango, 30
    Foxtrot, 30-32
    Viennese Waltz, 53-54

American Rhythm:
    Cha Cha, 30
    Rumba, 30-34
    East Coast Swing, 34-36
    Bolero, 24-26
    Mambo, 47-51

:) The rest of the dances in that list are more often social dances rather than competitive dances, but the four Smooth dances and the five Rhythm dances above are the most common competitive styles.
    singndance likes this.
  11. mad123

mad123 Member

This app sounds wonderful! Any chance a version can be developed to use directly on a Mac, not just an iPhone? Most of my music is on the computer so it would be perfect to be able to pull from the iTunes library...
  12. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

I am thinking about making an iPad version as well, but haven't yet thought of a way to better exploit the features on a larger screen. Suggestions are more than welcome! :)
  13. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Couldn't be any better - thanks!
  14. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Great App! Works on iPad also...

Using the Standard portion of the app, I am having problems using the bpm feature. You have bpm listed but I believe that the app is looking for the correct mpm, thus not finding any songs with the proper bpm. Make sense?
  15. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

I'm glad you like it!

I think I understand your point about BPM versus MPM - So e.g. for a Waltz set at 29 "app-BPM", your song is at 87 BPM and should be perfectly acceptable?

It looks like I will need to make some changes in the next version - for instance allowing people to choose between using "Bars Per Minute/Measures Per Minute" or "Beats Per Minute". Would that make sense?
    dlliba10 likes this.
  16. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

As of now, I'm only "authorized" to develop for iPhone/iPad. Development for Mac would require for me to enroll in a different developer program at Apple, and I'm not sure yet whether the demand would justify it.
  17. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Just checked out the Ballroom Competition Trainer app. Great job! For feedback, I'd find it useful to have an optional Fade In-Fade Out for the Pause Sounds (maybe even can a few generic sound clips like applause or dance announcements packaged within the app). I think this would take a considerable amount of effort, but it could be very useful in training to add an optional tempo adjustment similar in functionality to the Tempo Magic app. What else.... stop and pause buttons would be nice... also the ability to continue playing in the background.
  18. clumsy fellow

You got it!
  19. clumsy fellow

Krogholm,

At some point, if not already, this thread will be dancing on the fine line of forum policies. Consider contacting
    the powers-that-be for the best way to proceed. Just a thought...
    Krogholm likes this.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It is a bit "on the line", but since Krogholm is soliciting feedback so far and not "selling" the app to our members it's just toe-ing the line. Thanks for keeping an eye on the advertising policies for us!!