App for Automatically Cutting Rounds

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Olga Y, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! And I like the idea of putting a track in pauses, applause would be pretty cool! ;)

I've downloaded the app and it works perfectly, I'll be recommending it to all my dance friends!

Quick question - is there an easy way to pick a specific set of songs rather than choose randomly from playlist? (e.g. I want a round with a certain waltz, a certain tango, etc.) It may be not the best way to practice for a comp, but sometimes I feel I really need that extra kick of the music I like to be able to go through the round :)

Krogholm and Bailamosdance like this.
  2. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

I think the easy answer would be to make a new playlist with just "that" song...

3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

AWEEEESSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to try it out.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

$1.99???

"it should be five cents"

5. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

@Latingal & clumsy fellow: Thank you both. I was so thrilled about the initial response that I didn't even get to considering that line - but I see it clearly now that I've been reminded about it, and I consider your comments very valid indeed. First and foremost, I am a passionate dancer, who is extremely happy to learn that other people share many of my thoughts about competition practice - and constantly striving to improve the "working conditions" of such practice sessions. I totally respect your policies, and will make sure to stay on the line henceforth.

latingal likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

sooooooooooooo is it 5 cents yet??:D

kidding ... nice app

7. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

That would be my first answer as well - but it's quite funny, because I've just returned from practice tonight, where we had to practice a segue consisting of five fixed songs, in which one of the songs needed to be prolonged a little bit. And it gave me the exact same thought that it would have been nice to be able to point out a specific song from each playlist for certain occasions. I will hold on to that thought...

8. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

9. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Glad you like it. And thanks for your feedback! The fade in-fade out for pause sounds should definitely be within reach. Same with the sound clips. I think I'll have to agree with you that the tempo adjustment would be a large task, and I doubt I will be able to find the time for it in the foreseeable future. You can stop at any time by tapping the currently playing dance - and you can resume the competition from that dance (or choose to start from one of the others). I have not implemented a pause button per se, since I doubt it would be of much value when practicing a complete final?

10. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I need to record a bunch of people hooting and hollering my name with generous applause, and then use it during my pause sounds.

11. Mr 4 styles

leave it to you miss silly to make a good thing better

i volunteer to cheer on your version of the app

GOOOOOOOOOMIISSSSS SIIILLLYYYYYYY

Miss Silly likes this.
  12. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Yeah, exactly! Would be nice to skip the making a playlist step for those occasions, maybe in the next version? ;) Really though, it has absolutely made my day, awesome work! So excited to use the app for rounds today!

Krogholm likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you need tempo adjustment to a song, just make the adjustment to your music file before you put it in your playlist.

14. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

That is my approach as well. Personally, I am using Audacity, and find it very suitable for the purpose.

dlliba10 likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

ditto

16. Janson

Janson Active Member

If only I had an iPhone! This looks great, and I would definitely buy it (this is coming from someone who had never bought an app in their life). I'll be interested to see where it goes.

Krogholm likes this.
  17. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Just noticed that all song lengths are the same. It would be nice to be able to play shorter Viennese Waltz and Jive songs since they should be shorter in competition.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

It is an interesting suggestion, but I doubt I'll be able to incorporate it into the next version, since it would require some more fundamental changes to the way the app settings are handled.

Being an International Style guy, it never crossed my mind that some dances would be shorter than others while competing - a stamina thing? :)

I'll definitely make a note on your suggestion.

19. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Am I correct that you need a Mac to write an app for an iphone?

20. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

stackoverflow(dot)com/questions/22358/how-can-i-develop-for-iphone-using-a-windows-development-machine

It looks like it might be possible, but not easy.