App for Automatically Cutting Rounds

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Olga Y, Jan 31, 2013.

1. leee

leee Active Member

As someone once pointed out to me, 4'33'' isn't actually silent -- the piece is in fact everything that happens during its performance, including all the ambient sounds that emanate from the audience. Cage's goal was to recalibrate our notions of what music is and could be.

Yes, I am a pedant.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Cut your VWs short before you add them to your playlist.
  3. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Sounds awesome. I wish there were something like this for windows phones.
  4. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

It would be a workaround, but would kinda be against one of the main purposes of the app, namely eliminating the need for manually cutting song lengths... I'll try to look into the possibility of specifying separate song lengths for the individual dances.
    ACtenDance likes this.
  5. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

A quick question: What do you think of the information about the currently playing song - convenient or irrelevant? I tend to go for the latter - I realized that I don't check my phone very often during the intense minutes of a practice final... :)
  6. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

If I understand the question correctly; Irrelevant, it's my playlist... no?
  7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Unless you're using your phone for a group rounds or something -- maybe someone who isn't participating in a dance wants to check out the name of the song while you're on the floor before they forget to ask you later or something like that. There could be circumstances where it would be convenient.
  8. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

I may have stated my question unclearly. I'm referring to whether or not the fields on the primary screen (Title, Artist, BPM, Elapsed time) are necessary for you while you're actually dancing to a song from your playlist?

Those fields take up quite a lot of space on the screen, and I'm currently in the process of redesigning the User Interface - and would like to get rid of the fields, unless you find them of genuine value during the practice sessions. My thoughts are to instead offer an extra screen in which you can see artist/title/tempo information for all the songs in the playlist you have selected.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes. As a coach I do care about these things, a lot. I often need to check the tempo against our competition standards. I care to know who the artist and title are for future considerations. Elapsed time and remaining time are often checked to see how a persons stamina is stacking up. I could not operate without them.
    NavyBee likes this.
  10. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Thanks. The feedback from you and dlliba10 makes perfect sense - I realize that I was only looking at this from a practitioner's point of view (my partner and I most often practice by ourselves). I'll make sure to preserve the currently playing song information in upcoming versions.
  11. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

I hadn't considered elapsed time, I can see that being helpful as pointed out. But everything else is silly. The songs are from a playlist that I have created... title, artist and correct tempo are already known before adding to the playlist... surely your time is better spent on other features rather than adding to my laziness.... just saying.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but I don't have the tempo of every song on my playlists memorized, and I don't even have the names of all of my instrumental songs memorized.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes, but IMO those parameters are irrelevant to your use of the songs in a "rounds" playlist. Presumably, you will have a list of songs you want to use for each dance/style. Why would you include a song that is inappropriate for that dance/style in the "pool" of available songs (I know you've been peeved at those who don't use "American style" songs for American style dances)? Elapsed time is the only parameter that I could see being useful.
  14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Maybe you could include the 'ratings' that songs have on iTunes? Ones I give 5 starts to are better for rounds, for instance?
  15. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Thanks for the feedback. However, I think the use of ratings would be a bit against the "randomicity" principle of not knowing what songs you are going to be exposed to. You can always create a smart playlist in iTunes (e.g. consisting of only 5-star songs) and use that in the app.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
  16. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

A solution might be to include a setting that allows you to switch the "currently playing" information on/off?
  17. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

How about a "details" button to call up a dismissible window?
    Larinda McRaven and mindputtee like this.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

It might not be inappropriate tempo, but there is a range of acceptable tempos. If you're having trouble at the faster tempo but not the slower that might be important information. You might not need to know it in the middle of a round, but perhaps in a round summary read-out.
    Krogholm and Bailamosdance like this.
  19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

You are absolutely correct, actually. ;)
  20. leee

leee Active Member

Especially the part about being a pendant!
    Miss Silly likes this.