App for Automatically Cutting Rounds

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Olga Y, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Good news - your request re-sparked my stubbornness, and I actually got it working tonight, without too many additional gray hairs to show for it!!! :) The display is now allowed to go to sleep as normal, and if you turn off the display, the remainder of the competition will continue, including fading and pausing.

However, it will need a bit more testing to ensure that no undesired side effects have been introduced, and since I've submitted version 1.2 for review at the App Store earlier today, this will have to wait until version 1.3 (expect it to be ready within the next 14 days or so).

dlliba10 and Bailamosdance like this.
  2. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

A bargain at twice the price... Thanks for your continued efforts, I'm sure you will look fine with gray hair.

Krogholm likes this.
  3. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Just wanted to let you know that I really liked your suggestion about randomized lengths - I have currently implemented a feature in Ballroom Competition Trainer that allows you to specify a duration variance for both song lengths and pause lengths.

For instance, having a song length of 1:40 and a song variance of 0:05 would mean that your competition dances will get a random duration in the range 1:35 - 1:45.

It won't be in the version currently awaiting approval, but will be included in the next.

ACtenDance, Miss Silly and mindputtee like this.
  4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Yay!!! That is awesome!!! :)

Krogholm likes this.
  5. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Version 1.3 was submitted for review at the App Store a couple of minutes ago.

Kudos to Miss Silly and Alex the Nifty for your suggestions about randomized song durations and competition playback while display is switched off, respectively. I hope the results will be to your liking :)

I received another suggestion that I am a bit at a loss at how to implement, but it sounds really interesting... A guy from Hungary would like to have the possibility of playing heats instead of just finals. Any of you have a good idea as to how this could be brought to work?

Alex the Nifty likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"Playing heats"--for example a quarterfinal that would play each song twice?

7. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

I guess so. And then the app should somehow place you randomly into either Heat 1 or 2 for each dance, right?

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not really sure there's much point in that. Unless he's trying to run a comp from his iDevice.

ajiboyet likes this.
  9. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

I think being able to play 3 rounds and have the ability to adjust times between those rounds would be plenty for 99.9% of us.

Thanks for your continued efforts, much appreciated.

10. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

I think this is along the lines of a suggestion I received today, which was about making it possible to save multiple configurations. That makes perfect sense to me, and should support very swift changes of configurations between rounds. Would such a feature make sense?

By the way, the version with randomizable song/pause durations has just been released at the store - I would really like to know if it suits your needs, as specified earlier in this thread, or if further adjustments need to be made?

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Yes to the feature... Means a lot for us who have to present various things (endurance rounds, minute rounds, etc..)

Krogholm likes this.
  12. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

H
    Heats will be possible in the new version - probably released within the next 24 hours.

13. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

I've got to say I absolutely love the updates in the app! It is all I have been looking for and more! Excellent job, Krogholm!

Krogholm likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ditto told my pros about it and now they are users!!

Krogholm likes this.
  15. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Does the new version suit your needs regarding specific songs? I find that I totally agree with you - it is so much easier to go that extra mile, if you dance to music that you just love! - so thank you for posing the question! :)

16. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Tried out the new feature in the rounds practice this weekend and it worked beautifully! Thanks a lot!

17. Hi Krogholm,

Thank you for your app! I tried it out a few days ago and really like it. I do however have one small request for an enhancement to the app….

When I specify a fixed tempo for my songs to be played at, only a few of them appear in the playlist. It seems like your system filters out any songs that do not match the specified tempo. Instead of filtering out songs that don't match the specified tempo, is there a way to add in the functionality to slow down or speed up songs that are not to tempo?Thanks!

Krogholm likes this.
  18. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Hi Krogholm, hope you're doing well! Here is a great idea for Ballroom Trainer 2.0 - sync it up with fitness trackers such as Jawbone UP, so that every time you do rounds it logs your activity in the app and sync with the fitness tracker app like MyFitnessPal does (e.g. log lengths/number/type of dances, lengths of pauses between dances). That's the future right there ;)

Krogholm likes this.
  19. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Sorry for not replying before now...

You are right about the current functionality, and your suggestion is a good one. For the next version I am probably going to add a feature for letting you specify a "tolerance" for tempo. For example you could say that your Slow Waltz is set to 87 BPM, but you have a lot of good songs at 84 BPM. If you then set a tolerance of +/- 3 BPM, the app would automatically speed up any 84 BPM song to match your 87 BPM criterion.

Have I understood your suggestion correctly?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  20. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

What a great suggestion!

It was actually only yesterday when my partner and I were doing final rounds, trying to regain some of the stamina we lost during the summer holidays, and I thought it would be nice to be able to somehow track and monitor our progress. It makes perfect sense to integrate with a health tracking app!

I think for iOS my choice would be Apple's own HealthBook, which is going to be released with iOS 8 this autumn.

For Android, it looks like Google is going to release something similar with their upcoming Android L.

Olga Y likes this.