Are there any Blues dancers around here?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Megalelala, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Kenzie D.

Kenzie D. New Member

I am not the biggest fan of blues dancing although I do enjoy it! I like swing because it's super fast paced and you're always moving. Blues is slower so it's not really my thing but I can enjoy it. =)

2. suncoursing

suncoursing New Member

Blues doesn't have to be slow. Around here (in Texas), live blues music is fast, so people are used to doing fast blues.

Skip to about 1:00 if you want to get straight to the dancing.

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Had my first experience with blues dancing about a month ago, and felt like I was right at home. I've always liked the music, since I was a kid, listening to my older-brother-the-musician jam with his buddies. But I never tried blues dance until I was literally dragged into a basement in Houston, where I found great music and musical dancers who understand about connection but don't do the hypercritical crap the WCS folks do. One of these days, I'm going to the Friday blues dance in NY. Just for some let-my-hair-down fun.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  4. suncoursing

suncoursing New Member

So, the regular blues dance in NY is on Fridays? I'm moving there in a week and a half, and I haven't looked up when or where the local dances are, yet. Their facebook group has a handful of photos; I'm surprised to see that their regular blues dance seems to have the same level of attendance as dance in Austin.

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

bluesdancenewyork dot com
    Went to an excellent immersion workshop there today. If that's the level of dancing there all the time, I can't wait to go on Fridays.

6. Ha! I was just about to start a thread on this...glad there's another blues dancer here! I love blues dancing...it's probably my favorite dance style altogether, east coast swing being my second favorite (hence my username). I really like how you don't have to focus so much on getting your footwork just right and focus more on just feeling the music. I also enjoy the room it leaves for improvisation.

j_alexandra likes this.