Argentine Tango competitions

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

another thread discussed the question "Is tango a dance for competition?"
    http://danceforums.com/showthread.php?t=32729

I did not find one in the archives so here is a thread for Argentine Tango competitions.

I'll start with the 3rd USA Tango Championship held in New York City. I did not attend, but this is info I found on the net:

12 couples in the Salon Category warming up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPidrftPw8&NR=1

Rules were posted @ http://www.celebratetango.com/festival/rules.html

with the dancers observing these guidelines:

a) Tango Salón (Amateurs and Professionals):
    26- Once a dancing couple is formed, they shall not separate as long as the music is playing. This means that they cannot break the embrace (abrazo), which is considered the tango dance position.
    27. For the position to be considered correct, partners must constantly hold each other by means of the embrace. Even though during certain figures the embrace may be flexible, it must never be broken, and this shall continue during the entire piece.
    28- All movements shall be performed within the space allowed by the couple embrace.
    29 -The Judging Panel is judging 4 different areas: musicality, circulation, walking style and the consistency of the embrace
    30 - Within these guidelines, dancers may perform any figures commonly used, including barridas, sacadas close to the floor, enrosques, etc.
    31 - Ganchos, leaps, trepadas (lifts) and any other typical tango escenario choreography are absolutely excluded.
    32 – Couples shall constantly move counterclockwise, like in the milongas (tango dance places), and shall avoid remaining in the same choreographic place in order to avoid interrupting the dancer’s circulation.
    33 - No dancer may raise his/her foot above the knee line.
    b) Tango Escenario(Amateurs and Professionals):
    34 - Participants shall be allowed to express their personal view on the tango dance; this means that they may resort to movements, figures and techniques unrelated to traditional tango.
    35 – They may break embrace and use other techniques derived from other dance disciplines, as long as this contribution be appropriated and be done to improve the performance and be part of but not all of the choreography.
    36 - Regarding the above clause, it is herein stated that dancers may not use tango music to perform other dancing techniques or choreographies. i.e. dance a completely different style of dance Flamenco or Ballet to tango music.
    37- Judges shall take into account the following 4 criteria:
    - Choreographic effects, posture, techniques, composition (creation or recreation), Use of the stage space, Body and space alignment.
    - Couple synchronicity & Musical accuracy (relaxation, music-dancer-style).
    - Interpretation, Preservation of tango essence.
    -Costumes and make-up.
  2. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

3. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

3rd USA Tango Championship - NYC

Salon Style semi-finals:
    song #1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee21-ATBU5s

song #2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fAbh3YNfhk

song #3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbA9BN1Pld0&feature=related

contestants:
    2009 Salon WINNERS​

1stValorie Hart & Alberto PazUSA/USA
    2ndSelena & Alberto HoyosUSA/USA

3rdSarah La Rocca & Lexa RoseanUSA/USA
    2009 Stage WINNERS​

1stErin Fennell & Ricardo ReadUSA/Argentina
    2ndEmily Vartanian & Pawel ChedaUSA/Poland
    3rdSelena & Alberto HoyosUSA/USA

2009 Salon Finalists​

120Valorie Hart & Alberto PazUSA/USA
    123Emily Vartanian & Pawel ChedaUSA/Poland
    124Antoinette Tomai & Johnny TabladaUSA/USA
    125Catherine Nicodemo & Edmund FuUSA/USA
    128Amy Zhang & Barry BlackUSA/USA
    129Selena & Alberto HoyosUSA/USA
    130Sarah La rocca & Lexa RoseanUSA/USA
    131Ninah Beliavsky & Joseph SamahaUSA/France

2009 Stage Contestants​

135Stine Moen & Ramzi EdlibiNorway/USA
    136Erin Fennell & Ricardo ReadUSA/Argentina
    Salon Contestants
    120Valorie Hart & Alberto PazUSA/USA
    121Colleen Liddie & Richard IsaacsCanada/USA
    122Jean Fung & Mark GreenglassUSA/USA
    124Antoinette Tomai & Johnny TabladaUSA/USA
    125Catherine Nicodemo & Edmund FuUSA/USA
    126Chino Hara & Yoshi AdachiJapan/Japan
    127Suki Shorer & Ramzi EdlibiUSA/USA
    128Amy Zhang & Barry BlackUSA/USA
    130Sarah La rocca & Lexa RoseanUSA/USA
    131Ninah Beliavsky & Joseph SamahaUSA/France

Stage Contestants

123Emily Vartantian & Pawel ChedaUSA/Poland
    135Stine Moen & Ramzi EdlibiNorway/USA
    136Erin Fennell & Ricardo ReadUSA/Argentina
  4. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

6. Mosca Negra

Mosca Negra New Member

A formal Argentine Tango competition? Rules? What an absurd idea.
  7. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

I ‘m not a fan of Tango competitions but Pandora’s box has been opened and there’s no stopping it now.
    I do however like the winning video you posted they are excellent dancers.
  8. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

9. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

10. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Please forgive me everyone...I have no clue as to what a judge is looking for in this Salon catagory clip. I read the rules....
    "The Judging Panel is judging 4 different areas: musicality, circulation, walking style and the consistency of the embrace"
    ...but nothing really stands out that "I" can differentiate among the contestants.
    It really does look like a social dance, to me. (the only thing I noticed is that some seem to do things with their ankle, more than others).
    Please, I would like to understand. Perhaps one really must dance tango to understand it.

However, the Tango Escenario comp., I can understand completely. (since my daughter comes from a "flash and trash" dance background. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE0Mlk4Nnow 1st place.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2jsCvvqng&feature=related 2nd place.

I mean...it is soooo obvious, the skill level difference between the 1st and 2nd place winners.
    (I wish my daughter competed...she would have easily won 2nd place, brag,brag,brag...LOL).

Again,....I have begun to realize that Missy is a show tango dancer...It is just who she is as a dancer, but for her sake and mine...I would so much love for her (and I) to understand the "art" of tango social (salon?/milonga?) dancing. Perhaps there is a book that explains it clearly.

Added: I just saw Alberto and Selena's clip...they should have taken 2nd. IMHO
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, that's the thing about Salon...it is social dancing style. That's how it's supposed to look.
  12. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

In order to understand it, you and your daughter MUST dance it socially. It's NOT about the moves. The essence of the art is the feeling generated between you and your partner when you dance a tango. It's called the "Tango connection" that is generated then manifested outwardly in the dance. That is the key to understanding.

It does not have to be fancy nor trashy. On the contrary, the simpler it gets, the more beautiful it is.
  13. Mosca Negra

Mosca Negra New Member

I do not believe there is such an obvious difference between the 1st and 2nd place winners. This was, evidently, a 'show tango' competition and show tango to me is about entertainment. The interpretations were different but both were executed with skill. The timing and execution of many moves by the 2nd place couple were intricate and entertaining.
  14. barrefly

barrefly New Member

So, it's like the forest/tree analogy? When I look at it...all I see is a forest, when you all look at it...you see the individual trees..and the beauty that each posess.
    ...and it would be useless to try to explain it to this armchair tanguero. LOL

Mosca Negra, I don't know the 2nd place winners, so I won't critique them. (break it down)...but I have been involved in pro. showdance for quite some time. There is a big difference between the two. 1st place could actually compete professionally, 2nd place wouldn't have a chance. IMHO.
    If you told me that they already compete professionally, that wouldn't change my opinion.
  15. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'd agree with you. The 2nd placers seemed to me to place high because of the entertainment factor in the "story" rather than their skill. In some of the parts of the dance where they simply danced, it seemed to me that they were lacking in polish.

For instance, at one sequence of back ochos, she was reaching with a bent leg, straightening it while transferring her weight to it (resulting in being on a straight leg when it was her standing leg) then bending in her standing knee to reach again. This resulted in a bobbing up and down effect I found rather odd and awkward. Unless she was doing this part this way deliberately as part of the whole "exaggerated" effect, it just looked like strange technique to me.

I did however, really like his use and phrasing of the music, and they certainly had some really nice moments as well.
  16. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

OK. Someone please tell me what I am missing. I do not see the professional qality, experience, overwhelming musicality, and matured emotion that everyone else is admiring. If I were judging, given that this is obviously a beginner-intermediate level show comp, I would probably have voted the 2e place couple 1ere.
  17. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Totally agree with you. I don't see it either.
  18. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

I’m in total agreement with you. The second couple had a show performance that was different inventive and cute. In costume and on stage it would have rivaled the first couples predictive hum drum lift and kick stage tango. The reason I’m against tango competitions is that it’s subjective. Who are the judges? Who cares? It’s just another way for the promoter to make money. I have ballroom friends that pour thousands of dollars into ballroom competitions and it’s a joke. The promoter the vendors the instructors all cash in.
  19. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

20. jantango

jantango Active Member

They danced to my favorite Di Sarli recording Indio Manzo, but they aren't connected to the music. If they dance this way in the semifinals in Buenos Aires in a few weeks, they will be knocked out for not following the line of dance.