Argentine Tango competitions

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Welcome to the DF, Tuanitpa
  2. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

their dancing in comparison to some of the other contestants

3. sixela

sixela Active Member

I like the choice of the music...it's very good to separate the wheat from the chaff and to see why can dance driven by the music. And now allow me to bite my tongue once again.
    Mladenac likes this.
  4. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 competition - Germany will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

Alonso Alvarez & Maude Andrey
  5. Angel HI

LOL, I'm with you.
  6. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I couldn't watch for than 15 sec of each video. Dancing was really appalling.
  7. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Good music but I am not impressed by the dancers at all.
    They all seem to wrestle with themselves, I would not call that dancing.
  8. sixela

sixela Active Member

The choice of music for the German videos was also excellent. Aahh --"Junto a tu Corazón"...
  9. sixela

sixela Active Member

Aw come on. You may not like the particular Mundialista style idiosyncracies (with the occasional obligatory showing off of giros-cum-enrosques when the music would invite me to do very different things), but I can watch more than 15 seconds of that man in the grey suit and his lady...

I still tend to dislike the uniformity of the cadencia, but I think it simply comes with the territory, and trying too hard to conform to the aesthetic the judges will like rather than trusting your gut feeling to tell you how to move.

Like it or not, I thinkit's inevitale that these couples play to the judges and don't dance according to their inner convictions (it's something I couldn't do, and one of the reasons I tend to like "demo dancing" a lot more than this, since in a demo the couple knows it's supposed to showcase its own personal approach).

Unbiting my tongue for a moment, I think the chances of that US couple gaining the upper hand in the championship against that German couple probably mirrors those of the national football (or "soccer" if you prefer) teams in _their_ game if the US were missing Tim Howard.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    Angel HI likes this.
  10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

No Tim Howard!

Running from the room with an anguished scream at the thought.
  11. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 championship - UK will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

(Introduction concludes at about timestamp 2:06)

Alex Barberi & Manuela Marce
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Are you sure you saw any dancing? They took longer than 15 seconds just to get into the embrace. LOL!
    But yeah, what they were doing had nothing to do with the music.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

@sixela and @LKSO

I don't need to wait for 15 sec, I can put some place forward in the video with a click of a button. :cool: :p
    Luckily for me I focus on the music not on their dancing. :D :D
    I got feeling that they were dancing less than 3 years or less, took some specialized championships classes and that's it.

As long as these championships will motivate them to practice and explore I am fine with that.
    Not until I am charged 25€ per milonga to see their performance. ;)
    A usual price for the main milonga in Europe is 25€.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  14. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Yeah, for some reason I stop watching the videos immediately but keep the video playing so I can listen to the music. Good thing tango sounds a lot better than these champions can dance.
  15. Angel HI

Though you might be right (I think we're all with you re their being "championship level dancers representing the US to the world), but we really cannot comment on how they hear, or what they hear in, the music. This is different for each dancer. Even if 2 were to hear the same thing/s, and feel the same way/s, the chances of them interpreting them the same are unlikely. So,what we can say is that "what they were doing had nothing to do with the music as I hear/feel it". That would be fair, yeah?
  16. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

That would be conformist statement but not fair.

Several long time dancers said the same; that they cannot relate the dancing with the music.
    One thing is to interpret the music personally so others can recognize what you interpret,
    and the other thing is when you interpret it that only you and nobody else can recognize it.
  17. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Musical performance can be evaluated objectively. There are qualities about it that can be directly identified, e.g. melody, timbre, rhythm, tempo, etc. Thus, it can be heard by everyone. However, interpreting the music through movement is something else entirely. In a simple dance like tango, however, it's much easier to evaluate whether or not they are responding to the music. The bodies can turn and the legs can step. Do the bodies reflect the melody through turning? The beat and rhythm through stepping? If not, then that's considered not good dancing. If it is, then it's considered good dancing. That's really all there is to it, especially because it's a dance competition.

However, some things just can't be evaluated by the observer. The quality of the embrace, for example, can't be evaluated by the judges because they can't tell if the dancers like to hold each other that way.
    Mladenac likes this.
  18. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Interesting comments, some of which may be applicable to the direct observation of a couple dancing - but these are You Tube videos. In the process of filming, saving, uploading & publishing a video to You Tube there will be changes to the video's format & type of compression. These may produce losses in the video & audio streams, so what you see & hear on your computer is not exactly what those who directly observed the couple saw and heard. In short - making a judgement about a couples lack of musicality by a You Tube video, where the audio & video are not in perfect synchronization, is not a fair judgement.
  19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

They come from the same stable than me and I saw them grow up almost every day. So please allow me to be biased: All the best Maude and Alonso for/in Argentina !
    sixela likes this.
  20. sixela

sixela Active Member

Mhh -- not a grand cru year from Europe, is it?

On the other hand, I know some mundial European champions who _did_ manage to learn to dance musically _after_ they won the European qualifying rounds. So there's still hope for everyone involved.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Mladenac likes this.