Argentine Tango competitions

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. sixela

sixela Active Member

And yet another thing is completely ignoring the music ("after this giro-cum-enrosques I'm doing four long strides of 'elegant' parallel inside walking to show how kewl I can walk, and I don't care that I've just crossed the end of a musical phrase and am doing it partly in a kika and partly in a bouba phrase", or "I show off my super fast giro skills even though the music would invite anyone who didn't have concrete poured into both ears to pause").

Sometimes it shouts "I'm completely engrossed in showing off (a) my sequences, (b) how elegantly and well balanced we are, (c) what cool adornos my lady can do, and to hell with the music".

Sometimes the mental picture that evokes in me is one form Tinitin, of a distracted man unwrapping a chocolate, eating the wrapping and throwing away the chocolate.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I hope you will look at them for a long time then ;)
  3. jantango

jantango Active Member

Nicholas Tapia and Stephanie Berg are popping up everywhere in Buenos Aires. They danced in the Homenaje to Alberto Podesta (turns 90 on Sept 22) in Confiteria Ideal last Saturday. The appear in the beginning of the video; Stephanie has white blond hair and wears a green dress.

I didn't notice any milongueros in this video; only teachers and competitors recruited by the Association of Teachers, Dancers and Choreographers of Tango Argentino -- to whom all must pay their dues to the judges of the competition.
  4. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I noticed that men stick their elbow out.
    There is no normal embrace.
    I would call that cheating. :rolleyes:
  5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 championship - Spain will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

Andrea Garcia & Sergio Panettieri
  6. sixela

sixela Active Member

What strikes me is that I know _far_ better dancers in most of the countries for which we've seen videos. It looks like the Mundial-for-regional-champions is turning into Tango's Eurovision song contest...
    Mladenac likes this.
  7. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Hey, if the girl has great legs, that's something to look at. If she's a but wiggler, that's ice cream on top of a cone. And if she's good looking, that's good to watch. Their tango? It's pretty bad.
    sixela, opendoor and Mladenac like this.
  8. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Or some beauty contest where the winner becomes a model. :wacky:

Eurovision became a freak show. :walkdead:
  9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That's nothing new, sixela. Good dancing isn't by far the main criterium. The mundiale is kind of an election of the next tango ambassador. The mundiale is a means to get tango under argentine remote control again.

Wide off the mark: it rather resembles the election of a swabian wine queen or the place for next olympics.
    Mladenac likes this.
  10. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

There is a couple of recent years Mundial winners visiting and giving lessons and performances. They charge for the private lesson 1.5 more than their teachers did when they visited the area. Needless to say, I won't be taking a lesson, but I'm sure a lot of people do. From my understanding, that's what it was all about.
    By the way, a winner of one of the very first competitions is still dancing in the milongas of Buenos Aires. He is in his 70-s, and an amazing dancer. He gives lessons from time to time ( he does not make a living from that). They are excellent, and cost 3 times less than those kids ask.
    Mladenac likes this.
  11. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 championship - Spain will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

Sabina Cipolla & Giuseppe Bianchi (couple #23)
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Bahia Blanca is a really passionate piece. I don't see that reflected in their dancing.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

It seems to me that they need to dance 2 more years and they will get rid of this analytical dancing.

I remember when Pablo Rodriguez and Noelia Hurtado won their city tango championship.
    They were on this kind of level, and later they become one of the best couples at that time.

And there are couples who never won any championship and successfully work as travelling dancers and teachers.
    sixela likes this.
  14. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

My (big) city has only a small tango scene, and the malign influence of this sort of completely pointless, robotic, and absolutely awful dancing can be seen everywhere I go. I really think that I might give up tango altogether, it's so frustrating. Every year, another batch of 'International' teachers/performers launches into an already crowded market, and they sell, sell, sell. I'm going to make more time for Lindy: there is a good teaching couple, locally, their classes are FULL, and everyone has a really good time.

The music of tango is wonderful, but the dancing (at least around here) is awful. I need to retire and go and live somewhere else!
  15. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

They look as though they've been dancing for less than six months, and just got back from an enrosque con lapiz workshop, but haven't had time to practise, yet.
  16. sixela

sixela Active Member

Sometimes it's not malign.

See enough of it, and you'll have an internal alarm warning you to plan the exit of your giros when you've done more than 270°, and you'll _never_ ever start your dance again with mayonnaise mixing followed by a _big_ leftside side step. And you'll eschew those endless inside parallel system walks to show off your elegant walk until you tailgate the couple before you, since you realise that too much of that looks pretty much ridiculous, no matter how well stretched your legs and feet are.

All the better for your behaviour in the ronda, actually.

If you see a lot of it and you still try to emulate the idiosyncracies, though,...

Even then, it all has its uses. If you're behind a mayonnaise-mixer-starter in a ronda, at least you can fairly well predict how where they're going to move.
    Mladenac likes this.
  17. jantango

jantango Active Member

Two of the five men in the video are too tall for their partners and don't have good embraces as a result. On the other hand, Couple #23 are the same in height. They were very lucky or they took lots of privates with the judges who want to encourage them.

Rodriguez and Hurtado won the city competition in 2006, in spite of her high boleo which was not allowed by the rules. The judges all knew her very well since she studied for two years in the Academia de Estilos de Tango Argentino (ACETA) where they were among the faculty. Hurtado has set herself apart in the tango world of exhibitions by burying her face in her partner's shoulder, splaying her left hand across her partner's back, and stomping each step to put her mark on each dance.

Those who never won any championship write brilliant CVs and lots of emails to festival organizers, etc.
  18. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

so important.

the OP (way back on page 1) mentioned these among the rules:

a) Tango Salón (Amateurs and Professionals):
    26- Once a dancing couple is formed, they shall not separate as long as the music is playing. This means that they cannot break the embrace (abrazo), which is considered the tango dance position.
    27. For the position to be considered correct, partners must constantly hold each other by means of the embrace. Even though during certain figures the embrace may be flexible, it must never be broken, and this shall continue during the entire piece.
    28- All movements shall be performed within the space allowed by the couple embrace.
    29 -The Judging Panel is judging 4 different areas: musicality, circulation, walking style and the consistency of the embrace

many of us recognize the importance of the embrace in how we feel a good dance. Can we see the quality on an embrace (insert question mark, my key is broken)

Sebastián Arce - (wiki here) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastián_Arce

asks the question - Can the Tango World championship be won with only the tango embrace

(in Spanish)

19. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I know other way how some people got into dancing scene.
    Some were aggressive and some were "forced" into performing. ;)

I only know that they won city championship and were runners up in milonga that year.
    And that they have been quite influental for whole AT culture in the world.

I watched the video, and I find dancing of couple #28 more appealing.
    I would never thought couple #23 won the competition.
  20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Don´t mean to correct you, but I really don´t think the ACETA thing tipped the scales. Competence plays a minor role at competitions. What actually counted: they were suckling lambs of Carlos and Rosa Pérez. As I said above, it´s kind of an election of the most catching ambassador.

But Noelia actually is influential, jan! I would say she was one of the most influential women of the last decade. Don´t mix taste, purpose, preference with success.

By the way (just networking), how would you assess the chances for success of Maude and Alonso, since Alejandro Sanguineti might not be rather influential at the AMBCTA any more, nor does he belong to a VU- or Esc-gang?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Mladenac likes this.