Argentine Tango competitions

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. sixela

sixela Active Member

Thank you for the amusing character assassination, but she doesn't stomp _each_ step. In fact, she very clearly uses variations in stompiness to mark certain beats. It's part of her style (or lack of style, as you probably think).

Mladenac likes this.
  2. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I must say that you are very creative in trash talking.

sixela likes this.
  3. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Noelia Hurtado & Pablo Rodriguez won the city championship in 2006.
    Here they are, that same year, performing in Buenos Aires at the milonga La Baldosa:

and here they are, again at La Baldosa, in 2011:

Mladenac likes this.
  4. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Correction:
    2014 championship - Italy will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

Sabina Cipolla & Giuseppe Bianchi (couple #23)[/quote]

5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 championship - South Korea will be represented in Buenos Aires by:

Eva Youn & Okiz Baek

6. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 Tango de Pista World Champions

Lorena Gonzalez Cattaneo of Uruguay & Sebastian Acosta of Tucuman Argentina

7. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

trouble seeing the video
    search youtube for

Campeones Mundiales de Tango Pista 2014

8. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 champions
    couple # 004 Lorena Gonzalez, black dress gold shoes & Sebastian Acosta, black suit gold tie and competing couples dance to Pugliese "La Gitanita", Fresedo with Ruiz "Buscandote" and D'Arienzo with Echague "El Nene del Abasto". Dancing begins at about time stamp 3:45.

9. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

2014 Tango de Pista World Champions Lorena Gonzalez & Sebastian Acosta - victory dance to D'Arienzo "El Flete".

10. sixela

sixela Active Member

Sensitive viewers should skip to the D'Arienzo (or at least the Fresedo) ;-). Must say that the judges do pick different music to separate the men/women from the boys/girls, but they seem to be better at dancing to one type of music than the other en masse rather than individually.

Oh, did I mention that the penultimate tanda in my last milonga was a delightful Pugliese?

11. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

WTF are they doing? I don't know what that is, but it ain't tango.

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you didn't watch enough of it. Try at the 4 minute mark. You might be able to recognize some of what they are doing. There are things like walking to the cross, pasadas, giros, and occasionally even an ocho or two, (actually pretty standard tango moves). As it's a competition, (and is judged on how they look), they tend to do a lot more embellishing than maybe you are used to seeing. While that style may not be your preference, it certainly is tango.

13. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I did jump to the 4 minute mark. Was appalled at what I saw. But kept on watching until the end of the first song hoping for some semblance of dancing. That's not dancing. That's not even tango. That's glorified couples' calisthenics using tango as muzak.

14. sixela

sixela Active Member

Did someone call a Pugliese track "muzak"?

Fast forward to the D'Arienzo; the dancers are much more comfortable dancing to it (and I thought the D'Arienzo round of honour for the winners was delightful, actually).

dchester likes this.
  15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

In general I fear that the salón styles competition is going to be the junior category in future. The change of name will have done it´s bit, too.

16. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

If the rules did not accept the high boleos I agree about that the judges made a collective mistake and they should be blamed.

I think when the stomping happens both Hurtado and Espinoza are doing it or is it totally wrong?

About the splaying hands please check Espinozas right hand in this video.

I just wonder how come that there is so much talk about her hand and nearly nothing about his. I would have expected a more strict set of rules for leaders.

17. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

On this video you find also Gen y Lily from Singapore as well as Raymond y Lily from Hongkong/China

18. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

It seems that South Korea had one more couple in finals according to the linked lista:
    • 32 504 JIUN PARK & JIYUN KIM Corea del Sur Ganadores Preliminar Seul ‐ Corea 8.043 final
    There is sometimes difficulties with the transcription and easy change of names and this couple ... could be ... the very same as Jiyun & Jiwoon on this video:

The couple above is among the winners of Vals/Milonga and tango category in Seoul anyhow.

Campeones del mundo tango de pista 2014

19. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

How about this young couple the Tango Chanpions for 2014 in Seoul.
    (It seems that the couples no 2 and 3 were in Argentine)

I lost my heart

20. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I wouldn't call that dancing d'airenzo. They are dancing like a dead fish on energetic El Flete.
    They missed the song and the orchestra.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014