Arthur Murray graduations

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by newatballroom, May 8, 2014.

1. newatballroom

newatballroom New Member

Does anyone know how “the standards” are chosen at Arthur Murray studios? This appears to be a recognition of the top student at each level (Bronze 1, 2, etc.) but my instructor did not explain the criteria for either judging or eligibility to me and I feel hesitant to ask. Does every studio do this? I was told that some Arthur Murray studios do not.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Who is most likely to sign another pricey contract perhaps?

flightco, IndyLady, Hedwaite and 3 others like this.
  3. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Active Member

Pretty accurate description...

http://arthurmurraylive.com/tips-for-your-medal-ball-graduation/

4. newatballroom

newatballroom New Member

Hmmm.... perhaps. The "selling" is pretty relentess.

freeageless and Bailamosdance like this.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Wow, I clicked on that link. "Live Associate Available. Hello, my name is Danielle, how may I assist you?"

Really?!?

newatballroom likes this.
  6. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Yeah... That was a bit over the top, wasn't it!

freeageless likes this.
  7. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Tee-hee.

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I got Sharon.

Do you think that's her real picture? LOL I always wonder now, since at our company, the webdesigner put up a stock-photo of some chick on a headset phone on the contact page. We thought it was weird and fake looking (since it wasn't any one of us LOL especially since we meet the majority of our clientele face-to-face). We had the pic removed LOL.

Sania likes this.
  9. nikkitta

I can't get that credit card commercial with the foreign guy named "Peggy" out of my head now.

10. newatballroom

newatballroom New Member

11. nikkitta

Well, the webpage didn't answer the question either. It's as if they don't want you to know... BIG SECRET. I remember my first instructor (who left AM to teach at an independent studio) saying that he really shouldn't be teaching me this step because it's an ARTHUR MURRAY step, and those steps are supposed to stay behind closed doors. Or something ridiculous like that.

Oooh, Live Associate named "Aaron" is now available :D
    Maybe I should ask him?

Miss Silly likes this.
  12. newatballroom

newatballroom New Member

Another student told me they were based on checkout scores (A-, A, A+). But since the checkouts are conducted by any of I think three different individuals, that is hardly an objective measure.

And yes, I've been told that our books can't leave the studio because they contain the syllabus, which is proprietary. But how different could they possibly be - don't independent competitions also structure at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels?

13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Wow.

freeageless likes this.
  14. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

If a studio told me that their syllabus or books were "proprietary," I would never go back. The reason would be because I would assume that the studio is interested in taking my money, and they are not interested in me learning how to dance.

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

The same happened to me when i started dancing. I had asked to take my book home since i could never remember stuff, so i wanted to photocopy it. At the time, i didn't even know there was an International style and American style (LOL) so i was confused. Now I understand how the business franchises work. They own that syllabus. But at the time i remember thinking it was strange and secretive.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

A proprietary syllabus? I've never heard of such a thing, and I surely don't see any logical reason why everything is so hush-hush. How very odd.

17. nikkitta

$$$$ ;)

Loki and freeageless like this.
  18. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

I agree it's the money-that is the only "logical reason" why they don't want you taking their books or syllabus home to copy-and learn.

19. nikkitta

also encourages the "dance studio bubble" environment where those who pay $$$$ to learn the Secret Steps stick together and don't venture beyond that bubble.

20. newatballroom

newatballroom New Member

Thank you all for the responses - it is strange about the book. I do like how as a student you are exposed to many different dances and that the instructors will often point out techniques that are similar among the dances. But all that is in the syllabus is a list of which steps you need to learn for each level plus my instructor's handwritten notes, which I can't read! I have taken to texting myself key points after lessons so I can work on things on my own. Being rather analytical about things, I also like the fact that the program is systematic. But there is a culture of secrecy, which I find very odd.