Arthur Murray Pricing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dgarstang, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dgarstang

dgarstang Member

I used to go to an Arthur Murray. I'm thinking about going back. Apart from the obvious issues with AM that I'm sure we're all aware of, the biggest issue is really the cost. The particular location I used to go to charged $145 for a 45 minute private lesson. Yes, that's an obscene price, but it meant that everything else was free. Ok, well it's still obscene even with that taken into consideration. Generally, one private lesson per month or more was required. I'm wondering if all Arthur Murray's charge like this? Is that the norm? Or, do most charge a more market rate for a private lesson, say $80, and then charge individually for group lessons and parties?

Thanks, Doug.

2. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Can't speak for all AMs but $145 seems to be the going rate in the Chicagoland area.
    I have no idea what is included at that price but I would hope a rebate of $100.

flightco likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Active Member

When I took lessons at Arthur Murray they charged $x per "Unit". A Unit includes one private lesson, one group lesson and one practice party, and they typically expected that a student would complete one Unit per week. There were some AM studios that were pretty flexible and (i) let students take as many group classes per week as were available for their level, and/or (ii) let students "carry over" a portion of a Unit to a following week. But they would not let you buy portions of a Unit a la carte.
    Also note that AM prices typically include unlimited practice time during studio hours.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wow...as someone who does no parties or groups, that would never work for me

s2k likes this.
  5. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Lessons at the two non-franchised studios in my area are $65-95 (depending on the coach) for 45 minutes. Everything is piecemeal; no "packages" or "units." Group lessons are ~$15, and social dances are $10-15. Occasionally there will be visiting coaches who are current/former world champions, who will cost $120-145.

6. fascination

yep...that is about my non-franchised scenario

7. clumsy fellow

Ditto. Standing lesson times... no hassles... very little, if any outside contact... Dance n'go... Perfect for my goals.

8. Cal

Cal Active Member

Out of curiosity - to clumsy-fellow, dbk and fascination - what is the going rate for practice time at the studios you attend, or is it included with lessons?

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<<choke>>

Ditto what fasc said. Whew.

10. fascination

I am not certain because I think if you take privates you get equal time of free practice and I never use that much up...but I THINK it's 15...

11. Cal

Cal Active Member

Then I won't complain one bit about the cost of my practice arrangements (well, except maybe for the junk on the mirrors).
    To all of you Arthur Murray students out there: take advantage of the built-in cost of practice time!

12. fascination

I dunno I feel like 45minutes of free practice for each 45 minute lesson and 10-15 bucks for time exceeding that is pretty reasonable...and i would much rather my lessons be under 100 bucks than have a bundled price

13. Cal

Cal Active Member

I practice at 2 different studios: at one of them it's $5 per person for as long as you are there per day (and there is no junk on the mirrors) but it's a long drive to get there and involves tolls; at the other studio I pay $30 per month and I can practice 3 evenings a week for as long as they studio is open and it's a lot closer to where I work.
    So, although the AM bundling isn't everyone's cup of tea, I think that there are lots of AM students who simply don't appreciate that they could get more value out of their payments if they take advantage of the practice floor component.

14. fascination

well...you have to know how to practice in order to benefit from unlimited time...and I find it rare that folks are taught on their lessons how to practice, but I do see your point

Gorme, Sania and dancelvr like this.
  15. clumsy fellow

Free if you take a private but I kinda tramp around for practice and pay $7-$15 for the day. A couple of studios offer unlimited practice for $30 a month.

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

At my studio, we can practise whenever, as long as it's open, as long as we're students. We usually take one lesson per week, at $65 for 60 minutes. Non franchised and also in Australia...$65 is around the average rate here.

17. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the policy at one of my studios (too small to really be a practice option) but the other allows you to practice for free all week when you take a private lesson - floor space permitting (which it nearly always is).

18. dgarstang

dgarstang Member

I guess I'll have to call around. Not sure what the consensus is. You just know that they won't give out particulars over the phone either, and will make me come in and sit me down before they give anything away. $145 for a lesson? Thanks, but I'll take my business to a non Arthur Murray studio.

Lioness likes this.
  19. Lioness

Then tell them that...say "I'm not coming in to the studio...I'm quite happy to go elsewhere if you won't give me prices."

See how quickly they give you prices then...

20. Lioness

IMO, just from the scenario here, you may also get better instruction from an independent studio as well as it being cheaper.