At what age did you begin learning Argentine tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, Mar 12, 2013.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I thought we were talking about ...

... and that by your own assessment of those milongas ...

So are you saying that the experience can be distilled to impressing a taxi driver that you can recognise which orchestra is playing on the radio, and that conversational Spanish is the essence of the dance?

I have to admit (I'm not trying to be hostile) that I just don't get it at all. Your own preferences reject about 90% of what modern BsAs and its tango scene represents. Around a week ago you were asking rhetorically whether you would find any continuing attraction to attending milongas for much longer, yourself, because the things that you value seemed to be in decline. It's not much of an advert for the place, its culture, codigos and customs, to be honest.

And I know it's a language thing, but broil? There's only one country in the world that broils anything, and it's not Argentina! ;)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just dry the steaks with paper towels before you cook them -- grill, broil, whatever -- or what you'll actually be doing is steaming them. :D

3. jantango

jantango Active Member

Language is part of the culture.

We use the same language, but you don't comprehend what I write. If you don't get it, then I can't explain it.

Everyone has a different experience in BsAs. JohnEm was here last year for four months and is back again for another three. Lilly of the Valley is here again for three weeks. They surely had a positive experience in BsAs or they wouldn't have returned.

If anyone is interested in experiencing the milongas of Buenos Aires, I suggest they plan their travel as soon as possible.

4. UKDancer

Fair enough, but let me put a question to you. If the particular set of conditions that you find so attractive in BsAs changed, would you still dance TA, or is your own dance so bound up in the side of BsAs that is important for you, that you might stop altogether? Is there anywhere else, in the world, that you might live and dance?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Positive experience is an understatement.
    I am in heaven. :)

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Having had a fairly mediocre evening of dancing last night predisposes me to say, you guys are making me a tad envious.

Part of the somewhat mediocre experience last night with CW is that the crowd is changing as the older dancers stop coming, and the place is filled with mostly newbies. And there are differences between the preferences of the newbies that dance, and what the older dances prefer. This is what happened in Portland AT. Newer dancers aren't being taught the full gamut of possibilities.
    So, I can readily understand how things may/will change as the milongueros become less numerous.

7. sixela

sixela Active Member

At least when I have a fairly mediocre evening of dancing it's usually me (or the combination of me plus the music - there are a few Donato and D'Arienzo tandas that are very bad for me to dance as first tandas).

8. jantango

jantango Active Member

The milongas are changing constantly, week to week, in Buenos Aires. I saw a different tango scene when I moved here in 1999, one where tango and the codes were respected. I love the music, and I enjoy listening to it in the milongas as much as dancing to it. How long I dance isn't in my control. It depends on how long the milongueros and milongas survive, and how long I am able to dance. Only a few years ago, I didn't understand why milongueros/as said they were no longer interested in the milongas. Now I understand.

The milongas need financial support from the city. An initiative has started to pass a law supporting the milongas. A lot of businesses depend on tourism to the city for tango. We can't predict the future, all we know is what is now.

There is no where else in the world I care to live and dance. Tango is my world. Soon I will be an Argentine citizen. Buenos Aires is my home.

9. UKDancer

Haven't they always? The Golden Age was a relatively short period in no longer particularly recent history. Things change. Tango changes. Without change we would never have had any of the wonderful music of the Golden Age, but we would be 'stuck' with the music of the early sextets and there would be no milongas.

Mladenac, Bailamosdance and pygmalion like this.
  10. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

a) ME
    I would not take another path. I always got the best at the time.
    And all I got related to dance and human relationships enriched me as a person.
    b) ADVICE
    Be patient and watch others dancing as much as possible.
    Visit local milonga and try to get inspiration in advanced dancers.
    Listen music in your spare time.
    Don't be harsh on yourself when making mistakes.
    You only see the result of advanced dancers but not their path.

pygmalion likes this.
  11. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

As somebody already stated.

Be picky in choosing your milongas, teachers, classes and privates.
    Choose the style what inspires you the most.
    Your taste will change over time and you will be enriched with various styles and experiences.

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I love this.

13. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

It's rare to see someone practicing their art/craft. When it is seen, no one wants to look/hear it because it looks/sounds utterly boring. But the end result of so much time and effort spent practicing can seem amazing. It can seem as if they are naturally talented and gifted when, in reality, those talents and gifts were the result of the their dedication to practice.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  14. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I've never felt the need to visit BA and I don't anticipate that I will go there anytime soon. If I do go some day, it won't be for the dancing. I imagine by then that the dance will have changed too much from its simplicity for me to enjoy it. I'll probably go for the culture, which includes the food and the air. I hear Buenos Aires has good air! Or is the name misleading?

15. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

I get it. My posts often haven't been all that supportive of your position about what tango is and isn't, but I honestly appreciate your position. Tango is part of my world, but it is not "my world"- I get the distinction. You are a treasure.

Steve Pastor likes this.
  16. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

People living by water (sea, river, lake) generally swim better. ;)

People who started as adults in the end they spend equal time like those those children. ;)
    The key to being successful is any area is persistence. :D
    It different starting as an adult. Some have musical, dancing or sport background and they try to fit that into AT.
    They are not shaped from very start. In a way it's a good thing cause it adds to diversity of dancing and new experiences and perspectives.

As community grows the need for classes is not so vital and necessary and the progress of every individual is faster.
    I can see that in my tango community. So the community hone skills during the practicas and milongas and ocassionaly take classes.

What is older adult to you?
    In Europe tango is not so cheap enternainment. Cause if you want to advance as a dancer you need to travel.
    Communities are relatively small and to have new dancing experience travelling is mandatory.
    So I may say that people having extra money stay in AT. :)

17. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I started when I was 30, that was 4,5 years ago.

Prior to dancing I did a lot various sports and did some ballroom dancing.

18. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

Jantango - If you would not call your way of tango for Social Tango - what term would be the appropriate?

19. jantango

jantango Active Member

Many years ago, the practicas in Buenos Aires were for men only. They outnumbered the female population, so they had an incentive to dance well in order to meet a girl and
    get married. Today, there are dozens of practicas in BsAs where the men practice with women.

I got the impression from your posts that you were serious enough about tango enough to visit BsAs some day. The city is beautiful, but the air quality isn't because there is no unleaded gas.

It isn't easy to get what tango means to portenos who love the music and the dance until you get to know them living in their city for 14 years. I write a tango blog, participate in a tango radio program, attend tango concerts, correspond with tango dancers around the world, attend the annual tango festival and world cup, and dance several times a week at the milongas. It's my world.

A older adult (50-65) has the time and the money to devote to tango. Children are raised, work is established. Couples need something they can learn and do together. They make up a good portion of classes. Traveling for any interest requires disposable income. Those over 50 usually have it to spend on traveling to tango festivals and/or Buenos Aires.

I dance social tango in Buenos Aires. The improvised dance with feet on the floor with an embrace maintained throughout the dance.

20. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

The majority of people I meet at milongas (locals and festivals) are people 25-45 years old.