At what age did you started to dance tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by viktorija3105, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'll remember that next time you pick me up completely off the floor in one of those "cut-loose" tandas.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Well, that was nuevo.

3. dchester

Duplicate post

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The question what you have reached (compared to your aims or dreams) actually comes into my mind. For one week I am wearing splint and crutches again and I think, was that it. Has it been a good job? What was left to do. And of course I am not that early perfect genius, rather the contrary of it.

5. dchester

Yikes!!! You've been having some bad luck the past couple years. I hope you are dancing again soon.

6. opendoor

thanks my friend!

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, you've brought injuries / aging as a dancer up several times and in different threads. Will you share with us the details of what has happened?

If not, let me just say, take care of yourself and heal quickly.

8. sixela

sixela Active Member

:bkick:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Let's just say it was my nuevo side.

9. opendoor

Yes, it does good. My tango testimony: I am dancing 10 years, started at the age of 45. I never danced before, never saw a dancing school from inside as a teen. By some turbulences (divorce) ten years ago I started dancing tango by chance. It really was a totally new chapter of my life. I lived tango, being out to milongas every night of the week in the first year. Everything was in focus: social competence, competence with women, body work and awareness, temperamental developement, determination, and of course self-affirmation. I have been ambitious all the time: In the beginning I refused any teaching and instruction and learned totally on my own. In the recent years I learned in privates from a former balleriana. Though I think I am talented, my body always set limits: neck, spine, and shoulders in the beginning, balance and straightening afterwards, and my left knee in the end. Two years ago I dislocated my knee, and since then, it actually did not normalize again. The cartilage got a notch, rayed ligaments and menisci, Baker´s cyst in the joint line, permanent sore goose foot. Two medical opinions guess that it was not sure if endoscopic surgery could eleminate the problems. So I decided for a conservative treatment, but without success. Now, for one week I am wearing a splint again, as it was for several month two years ago. So what I am actually doing is kind of sealing the deal. What did I reach, what was left to do if my dancing has an end now. I lived an intensive tango life, but again, it feels like standing unfinished at the edge of a great canyon.

10. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

I started when I am in my 40s. Judging from how addicted to tango, I am glad that I didn't start when I was young. I would have missed a lot of other activities and experience.

11. jfm

jfm Active Member

I was 20, lots of my friends started in their early 20s. Never had any problems with dancing with old men after the first few weeks. Nothing to stop you starting young. In fact it can be an advantage being very young and wearing miniskirts as you get more hours of dancing and more practice.

12. jfm

jfm Active Member

actually this is true although I probably would have just spent the last 6 years falling out of pubs drunk.

13. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

I started tango at the age of 15, after I had passed my Junior Bronze. This would have been ballroom tango, as nothing else was known in Blighty back in 1962. Argentine tango would not arrive till 30 years later. Nevertheless, I thought that tango was the most exotic and exciting thing imaginable, a feeling reinforced by the sleeve of what I thought then (and still do) was the best tango record: http://ring.cdandlp.com/lerayonvert/photo_grande/114958862.jpg

The "Too young for tango" question raged in the Finnish papers in 2007, when Jenna Bågeberg became Tango Queen at the age of 18 years 11 months. It was argued that to a teenager, the feelings of love, passion, obsession, loss, and so on are unfamiliar, overwhelming, and scary; and that tango is more appropriate to a young person than to a sexagenarian who had been round the block a few times and had experienced it all before.

How many tangos speak of the problems and passions of the young? The Hispanophones on this forum will come up with Argentine examples; but meanwhile here is a Finnish one, composed by Kaj Chydenius and translated by Barbara Helsingius:

Nuoruustango (Tango of Youth)

Caring and warmth I will give you:
    youth is a beautiful thing!
    Roses of summer with morning dew -
    this is what I will bring!
    All that I can surrender
    are precious years that I own:
    they're free and young and tender
    and will be yours alone.

You are the one I have dreamed of:
    tell me you'll always be here!
    Young is our mind and so young our love:
    all other things disappear!
    Shadows of our tomorrow
    will never darken our day.
    Never a trace of sorrow
    on our chosen way.

14. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

@Piimäpoika - It was quite strange but for totally other reasons I was surfing to Finnish videos from around 1970 and came across this Nuoruustango you mentioned. It is part of the music tradition for the politically awakening generation in Finland during that period - that kind of caring for others I have not experienced since then.
    You recognize the special style by the way how the singer is using her voice; it differs from the traditional tango, and the arrangement are unique as well. Tango has its aspect of social dynamite and so it was used in Finland that time; a cultural tool to change a person and the society.

The old one here:
    http://youtu.be/QLoxDErSbco

New generation makes it differently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3HabBdHDw

I am deeply moved here now; so many years and so different world today.

15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I started learning ballroom when I was 23, but I didn't get around to Tango until my late 30s. However, there are lots of young folk who come to the classes and milongas here--16-20-year-olds. I'm in the US, though.

16. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

@LadyLeader - thank you for this! Kiitos tästä!