Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I was just listening to a new standard compilation and they had a rendition of Hotel California as a foxtrot-I was skeptical but thought-Hey I'll give it a listen...maybe its alright..... I'm bleeding from the ears now! Its terrible. I know its a matter of personal taste. Its not that I liked the original version of that song either. Has anyone else had this experience lately?
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

several times. And, unfortunately, there's a ballroom dj who does several comps in my area who plays the same kind of stuff as that.

What do you do when the music is just. simply. awful?
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

okay, I gotta' admit, the "I Dream of Jeannie" samba and the "Tea for Two" cha-cha make me wanna hurl....(that wasn't very lady like of me, was it?)
  4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I can't believe there's anything worse than the Titanic song as a paso. But the most annoying song to me is that foxtrot about the pants being too long. She could have hemmed them in the time it took her to write a song and sing it.
    Purr likes this.
  5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Isn't that the chronic complaint on DF every time somebody turns on an episode of Dancing With the Stars?
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

there's a song by Swop that's wonderful for foxtrot...xept the lyrics are about a guy whose cat died a few weeks ago, and that there must a cat dying somewhere every day.

the song reminds me of ketchup on filet mignon..."you're ruining it!" :)

thank goodness the song has another "re-sing" version without such silliness.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dead cat lyrics are a bad thing? :rolleyes: :wink: Just kidding!!
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

See, I love "My Heart Will Go On" as a paso for the irony. Played straight it's SO schlocky and syrupy and just plain trite, while it's impossible to paso to it without laughing. Also, as I think someone mentioned on another music thread, that particular paso is almost impossible to mis-count.
  9. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Sure, but I expect this from Dancing With the Stars. Heck, I even expect to hear a few songs I dislike on any CD but it seems they've gotten worse!
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

for similar reasons, I even appreciate the cheeze & schlock of dream of Jeannie and tea for two. 60s cheezeball can work great with Latin. sometimes. :)
  11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? I absolutely LOVE the I Dream of Jeannie samba! Franco & Oxana did a show dance to it once, World Dance Gala 2010. Love love love it!

There's this cover of Enrique Iglesias' Bailamos on a Prandi Sound CD I have. Prandi Sound - International Samba. Terrible, terrible.
  12. Aura

Aura Active Member

I've heard some pretty awful techno music. I ditto the DWTS bit. I understand it's probably for publicity purposes, but come on. Would it kill to play a traditional tango or paso once in a while?
    MintyMe likes this.
  13. latingal

LOL...have you ever had to dance to it at a comp? it's so schloky I just can't take it seriously...
  14. ajiboyet

A song like "Sway" is a very beautiful song. And songs like that tend to get covered a lot. And there are quite a couple of TERRIBLE covers I have heard.

I'd be glad if I heard it at a competition. But I don't compete, so...have you?
  15. latingal

Oh yes, have heard it and had to dance to it....makes me feel like I should be folding my arms, bobbing my head and blinking.... :???:
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Awful is as awful does. Apparently some people actually like the "Dont'cha" cover The Baseballs do. :rolleyes:
  17. ajiboyet

I think it's worth mentioning here that Under the Sea, off the Little Mermaid soundtrack, was played as the samba at the UK Open Pro. Latin Finals, 2005. Awful, if you ask me. I don't like it as a samba at all, and then at a competition of that standard I think it's not too bad to expect the best music.

Maybe it could be permissible at a kids' competition...MAYBE
  18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

The "Don'cha" foxtrot has been showing up a lot recently and I am not a fan.

ETA: I see Joe has already brought it up. Yeah, I just find the song odd.
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd call what they normally play at the UK Open as the gold standard of "music I want to hear without taking an awl to my eardrums."
  20. Piggles

Piggles Member

Speaking of bad music at top level comps, my teacher played me a few of the new #1 Latin songs that are being played at Euro comps. Good thing I'm not good enough to cross the pond: they were totally techno-crap...