Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I hate it, absolutely hate it, when they blur the lines between techno and chachacha. Maybe I am biased, but I see this in quite a number of WDSF videos.

And then there was a samba (WDSF 2011 World Youth Latin, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMT59J6AQDs, jump to 6:16). At that point all I could hear was SEX, SEX, SEX ON THE BEACH!!! I later found out that it was a cocktail, but still...hated it.

And, the chachacha in the same video goes on about "getting funky" with that very not-latin beat, then switches to a very pure latin, and then goes back again...HTTN!!!
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

We dodged that bullet at Mid-Atlantic this past weekend. Maybe Pete is more in love with it than Amy is. ;)
  3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Was just watching the semi final from a 2011 WDSF grand slam competition and there was a foxtrot from Billy Joel. I wouldn't have known this had I not looked up the lyrics. I can't stand Billy Joel... but I digress. Seriously I hope they don't keep resurrecting 1970's love ballads for Foxtrot!
  4. Griffico

Griffico Member

I recently heard the theme from E.T. with a paso beat underlay. Oy.

Also, "Old McDonald" as a quickstep. Not quite as bad, but still oy.

I also was bought this album based off of Broadway Musicals a while ago, and some of its tracks always amuse me:
    http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,3272237-8392291,00.html

Of special note in my opinion:
    I Could Have Danced All Night - Samba
    If I Were a Rich Man - Cha Cha
    Don't Cry for Me Argentina - Tango
  5. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Any idea the name of the song? As some of us dooo like Billy Joel? :p
  7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Something about Just the way you are...:D
  8. Natalka

Natalka Member

I have more of a problem with the fact that in ChaCha 2 that the couple NEVER looked at each other for more than a total of 5-7 seconds throughout the entire Cha Cha! The song might not be as bad if they played into the lyrics and told the story of the song versus just dancing their "routine". They're great dancers of course:)
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

My sentiments as well Natalka. Is it a "good" cha cha (song)? No, it isn't... but I too think it wouldn't have been as problematic with a different approach.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bad 3rd link.
  11. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Jive
  12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think worse than the music in the first two links is that the dancers completely ignored the music.
  13. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

The biggest issue I have with dance music is when it become so mechanical it doesn't actually sound like music. Esp. in cha cha. We call them the elevator cha chas...
  14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yep, and I just don't like either of the men's styling. (Russian, though, so that's not especially surprising with me.) Though I wouldn't even say worse, the first song's not great but I'd tune it out for the most part, second one YOU DO NOT DIS THE QUEEN OF SOUL, though cha cha wouldn't have been my first choice for "Think".

Third one...Pon De Replay is a perfectly serviceable SAMBA. Why, with the borderline-infinite number of songs that work as jives would you stick a jive beat on that song?
  15. ajiboyet

I don't really think Pon De Replay is a bad jive. But Eminem's Without Me? HTTN!!!
  16. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

They turned the Cha Cha Slide into an actual cha cha!
  17. ajiboyet

I don't know how I didn't remember this right off the bat. I hate cha chas that have a chorus then raps in Spanish. The only exception would be Pescao Envenenao. But generally I can't stand them.
  18. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Email the organizers and let them know. If enough of us did that, they might consider hiring someone else the next year.
  19. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

20. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

I love dancing to stuff like this, especially when I'm in the first heat... get half way through the dance and go, "hey wait, I know this song, this is fun". That version of that song not so much, but I know I've danced to a better version of that.