Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

2. Aura

Aura Active Member

That Cha-cha reminded me of elevator music...
  3. kckc

kckc Active Member

This past weekend, they played "Every Breath You Take" at a comp. As a Foxtrot. I was trying to replay it in my head but can't even fathom how you get there.
  4. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I ... they ... but ... WHAT?!
  5. kckc

kckc Active Member

Precisely :)
  6. no_name901

no_name901 Member

Almost anything played by the dj Ava Kay, I'm sorry I just don't feel their music choices. Especially some of the elevator sounding cha chas and sambas. And my least favorite, the swing to Freak the freak out by victorious. -_-
  7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I'm a big fan of using the original music by the original artists for their original purpose.
    Want to dance Viennese Waltz? What's wrong with Strauss?
    Foxtrot or Quickstep? Look no further than ye olde Fred & Ginger movie soundtracks.
    Swing? How 'bout Benny Goodman?
    Tango? Why not use original Tango music from Argentina?
    Samba? Brazilian street party CD oughta do the trick, dontcha think?
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

As far as Strauss goes, ballroom Viennese is nothing like the dances he composed for, just for starters. Not remotely.
  9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Some of the Argentine music wouldn't just work for Standard Tango. I swear I'd be forced to lead a gancho before I realised what I was doing. Too many accents - I'd want to interpret them all.
  10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I do love Freak the freak out as a song but I don't want to imagine it as a swing. I hate when they play Jonas brothers for swing and stuff in early rounds because then you have to hear it at least 3 times and it gets on your nerves...... Ugh.
  11. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Doesn't get any more 'ballroom' than the Vienna Opera Ball........
    Or the Austro-Hungarian Imperial functions he did compose for.
    Complete with marble halls, gilded everything, dozens of chandeliers, dress uniforms and gowns that would make Cinderella blush.
    Makes everything else look like the back of a hot dog stand.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. But (aside from the tempo changes), nothing says Viennese Waltz to me like Strauss.
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

There's no maybe about it. Competitive ballroom is not nineteenth-century social ballroom and knowing the former was actually detrimental to trying to be taught the latter. (Not saying one is better than the other, but they're not the same animal. And really in full period-appropriate clothing I can't do modern dance anyway. If the cut of the bodice weren't in the way the design of the skirts would be. Though it IS easier on my neck and upper back.)
  14. ajiboyet

Somehow, for some reason, people seem to be intent on playing an arrangement of 'Show Me How You Burlesque' as a quickstep. Whatever happened to dance character?
  15. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Hey, that doesnt seem as bad as Sex Bomb as a foxtrot :rolleyes:
  16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

There is a small indy studio that sort of specializes in AT, and their musical selections for lessons, practicas and milongas are....interesting.......
    Nothing as bad as The theme from Star Wars, though.
  17. ajiboyet

Found this video, and decided to revive this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1jzl8FOrE

I know the producers (and whoever's in charge of choosing music) of DWTS get a lot of negative attention here, for the music. But this, by SCD, was just the height. It's not this bad on DWTS. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Absolutely! It was the music of Strauss which inspired me to dance. The first time I ever danced International Viennese Waltz to Strauss, it was a dream come true. :)
  19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Sooo, about how that is a FOXTROT... but yeah, both sides of the Pond have had their musical choices that make people who know the dances *doh*. Both have given couples songs in 4/4 time for waltz, DWtS picked "Boom Boom Pow" for foxtrot.
  20. ajiboyet

Yes. As if the situation wasn't bad enough (yes, pun intended). But they haven't picked "New York, New York" or "Call Me Irresponsible" for tango.