Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

There's an old Coasters song called "Little Egypt" that they play as a swing sometimes on Friday nights at our studio. Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Bump.
    There's a samba that starts at 10:45 of . Terrible, terrible.

3. Lya

Lya Member

LOL .... do you know the name of the samba? ;)
    thats funny ... this was played on a competition training i did and I really enjoyed it! It's great!!! :D :D

4. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Straight to Memphis by Club des Belugas. It's been used at Nationals and OSB too. I don't see/hear anything wrong with it.

5. Lya

Lya Member

THANK YOU !!! uuuh I'm going to party now :D

dlliba10 likes this.
  6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

This tango for american tango....

I keep listening to it and I count it every time and there are those 4 counts at about a minute that make me so angry..... Threw off my perfectly timed routine and my partner and I got so confused, because we thought we started off time, but in reality it was the musics fault and we went and held it there because we thought we were off time when we heard it... ugh

7. dlliba10

At least with the tango, it added a full measure. I'll never forget this happening at 0:58:

It adds an extra 2 beats, so that literally *everyone* on the floor, even if they were on time up to that point, went off time.

8. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

That same thing happened in another comp I was doing not too long ago. If only I could remmber which. When I do I will let you know.

9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I thought competition organisers were supposed to specifically check for stuff like this that throws the dancing off.

BTW This song is called Cuando Vuelvo A Tu Lado, just in case anyone is wondering. Too many covers, I don't know who this is though.

10. dlliba10

I don't think it's up to the organizers, I think it's up to the DJ to have all of that sort of stuff sorted out. If it's not and it's bad enough to throw off / annoy enough people, that could have implications for their future engagement as a DJ.

ajiboyet and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I just can't get over the "Smoke on the Water" rumba.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

There are many songs that add an odd bar...samba is the most frequent that I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's actually happened in competition to me, but when I work with my pro it happens in practice. He can hear the odd bar coming and will stretch something out to make it work. It's a good skill to have....just in case!

13. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

At least there wasn't a faulty sound system to contend with... I remember watching this happen repeatedly for a good half of a comp: . On top of which, I find that mambo irritating to begin with.

14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

That happens every year at that comp. This yeah for open smooth they played a foxtrot that wasn't really a foxtrot. The slowest vwaltz ever known to man. And an international tango for tango.... Like it was really bad. And last year the music just kept going out. So when I was doing gold smooth, all of a sudden a second later the song ended and they restarted the round. And doing standard, they played quickstep for an ungodly amount of time, and then they just lowered the song so my partner spun me out but they kept it playing so everyone else felt they needed to keep dancing. It's just a little too much.

Something like this. I guess it might have been the same year but it happened the year before that and this past one too.

15. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Sounds like a dj problem not a music problem, if you know what I mean...

danceronice likes this.
  16. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

I was actually the DJ at that comp when the music kept shutting off.I had just bought some new 1TB hard drives and unfortunately they were not that stable.I actually had 3 computors die that day and I nearly had a heart attack.Thank God when White Cha Cha took over and rescued me .
    As for the music this year one of the other guys from Supershag did it.I do know that he used music that was cut by the main dj from USDC.There would have been music that was used for both styles but they were recorded at different speeds.
    As for the quickstep I remember that one well.I brought the music down in order for the couples to finish and then brought it up to create some atmopshere while they received their applause.Most of the couples started dancing again so we just payed it for an extra 30 seconds.
    It is a no win job being a dj..Someones favourite song is always the worst song in the world for someone else.(I personally like some of the songs that people hate on here and vice versa)What is the difference between Intl tango and Amer Tango apart from the tempo.
    Well my days of djing college comps has finished so moving forward I will just be judging them.Lets hope my marks are better than my music choices..

Cheers Chris

17. dlliba10

I actually wish more DJs would do that. I always figured it was just a thing for pros and we ickle little amateurs would never know the pleasure of receiving applause and bowing to music. :(

18. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

The first time I was a dj at a college comp I was slaughtered on a anotther forum for the music I played.I could not understand why, as I was playing stuff that we dance to every week at NDCA comps.What i discovered was that the bronze and silver stuff was too difficult for the level of college students.I forgot that in Bronze Pro-am there is actually a pro dancing.I then put together a special folder of what I would call old stuff that was really easy to dance to(almost but not quite Blackpool music).
    The problem we now have is that there is a lot of music which is dancable(this is a really great problem in my book) but you have to be really good to dance to it.Some of the new electro swing genre coming out of Europe is great for foxtrot and quickstep but is a slightly different sound .
    The other problem is that you need to hear music for a certain amount of time before you like and accept it.So do you play safe or introduce new tracks.Whatever you do someone will be unhappy.
    As I said earlier I have semi retired from djing competions but still love djing our own parties.

Chris

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I like nontraditional songs (gee, wonder who I learned that from?) but it drives me insane when they fudge some pieces (ECS seems to get this the worst out here, with songs that are way more suited to west coast. I'd rather do "I can't believe it's not Jive" than try to slow down that much. Of course that's partially because I can fudge my TECHNIQUE better at faster tempos....) And picking pieces with super-long instrumental introductions that eat up 15-20 seconds meandering around until you finally get a beat.

pygmalion likes this.
  20. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I have a ballroom dance collection of music which includes a Paso Doble version of Pinball Wizard. I can't decide if I hate it because it's destroyed the song, or if I love it because I can dance Paso Doble to Pinball Wizard.
    The worst comp in regards to music in my experience was Tufts this year-- they actually had to stop rounds in the middle and restart to a different piece because the tempo was poor, or dancers (even upper level dancers) had trouble finding the beat of the music, it was not pretty. I've never seen another comp do that. My experience at Brown wasn't bad, but it was my first time going this year, so maybe it was better this year than it has been in the past?