Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Calculated the MPM that he slowed it down to and it's hovering between 30 and 31 -- USAD Rulebook asks for 30-32.
  2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Someone told me that at Tufts, they couldn't find an actual ballroom dj and so they just found a random dj and told him to play music for 1:30 and so something like paso where the second highlight is significantly before 1:30 throws people off when they start playing the third section.... on top of which they once started a tango song for a paso.... it was just a bit of a mess....
  3. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

That is not the first time I have heard that jive in competition. By my count, it's 44 mpm, which is the limit for how fast a jive can be. But 2 minutes of that cannot correlate with having happy feet after.
  4. tequila

tequila Member

How many bars per minute is a typical Jive for you? In Germany, 43 is perfect competition mode (rules say Jive is to be 42-44 bars per minute). I think this one is on the Casa Musica Vol. 19. Having said that, I'd probably find it quite fast, too. I have the feeling that there is a tendency to play slower music overall... and I love it.

Continuing the song from the previous heat is really unfortunate. Sorry to hear you had a tough time getting the right phrasing...

Oh my, did he slow the Foxtrot in the middle of the phrase?!
    Ehm... another question... what is the typical tempo of American Foxtrot...?
    I only dance international style and this would be too fast for me. I prefer my SF to be around 28 bars, this one's around 29.5 I believe.

[EDIT - oooops, somehow missed a couple of postings. sorry everyone!
    ... and apparently my tool for calculation mpm works kind of strangely... I seem to get lower numbers than you guys...]
  5. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the song per say. The first time I heard it a few years ago it was my fav song and I played it over and over again, but after a full 4 dances before that all which weren't too slow either, doing 2 minutes as your last dance of the fastest possible speed= not happy me. We got off the floor and I'm like to my partner, walk fast so I can get water but so it doesn't look like I'm about to pass out.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ppffft senior 1 champ latin at southwest regionals samba normal cha slightly long rumba normal THE WHOLE PASO then a two minute jive ( judges must really have been out to lunch errr deep in thought)

one competitor told me "if this is typical for senior 1 we arent doing it!! we will just stay in 2 told her it wasnt

our jive was candyman at full speed
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

My personal nightmare for Jive: "Bible Belt", not adjusted down. I'm not even sure it's physically possible.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

They played us full speed candyman for our recent pre-bronze round. LMAO. I'll never forget the look on my partner's face.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

LOL you may be right

OMG!!
  10. Mr 4 styles

bible belt is a progressive two step like big dog daddy

when they use these for jive its fast
  11. dlliba10

Re-recalculated and realized I was looking at the rounded whole instead of the actual average MPM -- you're right, it's actually hovering between 29.7 to 30 (apologies to smidra). It should be between 30 and 32 for American style Foxtrot.
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

It's cool. But that lower mpm can make a huge difference in dancing.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

We placed dead last in Jive. LMAO.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I could jive to that thing.
  15. tequila

tequila Member

Has anybody heard of the "Imperial March" QS? Can't decide if it's cool (yay, Star Wars! I am such a geek!) or really creepy...
  16. dlliba10

FWIW, the sped-up part was just above 34 mpm.
  17. I agree with you Nonie. Be it for foxtrot or any type of dance, Don' cha is not just the right song. I really don't like that song!
  18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Would this be the Pussycat Dolls' Don' Cha?
  19. dlliba10

Yep, reimagined by The Baseballs.

smidra86 likes this.
  20. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

There is also a foxtrot version of Radiohead's creep:
    I'm not a fan.